Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in castleknock

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I assumed they were talking about St Patricks, Diswellstown. http://www.stpatricksns.ie/ I don't know one in coolmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭jos_kel

beauf wrote: »
    I assumed they were talking about St Patricks, Diswellstown. http://www.stpatricksns.ie/ I don't know one in coolmine.

Oh. Just thought the other end of diswellstown rd from colmchille was near coolmine station. Need to brush up on geography perhaps

If you check out the enrolment doc that theLuggage referred to they list every road and give them a number of priority. (subject to the other conditions).

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Yes I was, that's the one!

Research policies by all means but they can change. CCC policy at the time we bought was 12 yr residency which we would have satisfied but they have a totally different policy now.

Not that often or as major as that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Many refer to Carpenterstown/Laurel Lodge/Sycamore as New Castleknock, while referring to Pecks Lane, Castleknock Park, Georgian Village as old castleknock. Prices are very steep though .

In all my years I have never heard of 'new Castleknock' or indeed 'old Castleknock', I suspect the 'many' are the ones living in 'new Castleknock' who'd like to live in 'old Castleknock'.

Lived for 10 years in Carpenterstown, super house, great neighbours and we never once called it anything other than Carpenterstown. Sure you might as well call Clonsilla Castleknock at that rate.

Used to hear it a bit more in the past when there was only a few new areas. So old and new Blanchardstown or Castleknock or Clonsilla, might have made some sense. Now there's so many new areas, and some of the new areas are 20~30yrs old now. Its too vague to be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Rosser wrote: »
    In all my years I have never heard of 'new Castleknock' or indeed 'old Castleknock', I suspect the 'many' are the ones living in 'new Castleknock' who'd like to live in 'old Castleknock'.

Lived for 10 years in Carpenterstown, super house, great neighbours and we never once called it anything other than Carpenterstown. Sure you might as well call Clonsilla Castleknock at that rate.
    Same here, never heard it been refferred to as New... or Old ... Etc, etc

I recall speaking to someone involved in the property business at the height of the madness. When just about everything had the Castleknock monicker attached to it and saying that some people would try and make you believe that Castleknock started at Parkgate St, and extended right out to the Co. Meath border. :)

Pat Dunne wrote: »

I recall speaking to someone involved in the property business at the height of the madness. When just about everything had the Castleknock monicker attached to it and saying that some people would try and make you believe that Castleknock started at Parkgate St, and extended right out to the Co. Meath border. :)

Ha ha. Would dat be auld naavan or new
    Naavan or maybe nobber perhaps

You have to remember there used to be a distinct gap with fields cows grazing, between Blanchardstown Village and Castleknock Village. This is before the M50, and the upgrade of the Navan road. There also was nothing except fields from Castleknock college till you hit Coolmine. Nothing except fields and the odd bungalow between Coolmine and Clonsilla.

You were in the country side. And its not that long ago.

That depends what you are referring to. The Parish, Village, Townland or Barony. From the wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castleknock_%28barony%29
    Location[edit]
    It is one of seven and a half baronies that used to comprise the old county of Dublin.[3] It stretches from Cabra to Blanchardstown (from east to west) and from Finglas to Chapelizod (from north to south). It is located between the baronies of Coolock to the east, Nethercross to the north and Dublin to the southwest. The River Liffey separates it from the remaining baronies. The whole of the barony is contained within the modern county of Fingal and it is subject to Fingal County Council.

• Advertisement

You have to remember there used to be a distinct gap with fields cows crazing, between Blanchardstown Village and Castleknock Village. This is before the M50, and the upgrade of the Navan road. There also was nothing except fields from Castleknock college till you hit Coolmine.

Cows crazing??? After the onset of mad cow disease I suspect.

You have to remember there used to be a distinct gap with fields cows grazing, between Blanchardstown Village and Castleknock Village. This is before the M50, and the upgrade of the Navan road. There also was nothing except fields from Castleknock college till you hit Coolmine. Nothing except fields and the odd bungalow between Coolmine and Clonsilla.

You were in the country side. And its not that long ago.

I remember all them fields very well :)

I recently did a family tree and can now trace back my family connections with Clonsilla to the late 19th Century. So I can honestly say that the changes I have witnessed first hand, since the 1960's from Ashtown, right out to Clonee, have been truly amazing.

Ah Jayus...... now I feel truly ancient :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Never heard of the "new" and "old" distinction either, and I always say that I live in Carpenterstown, but Castleknock is officially in the postal address after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

5unflower wrote: »
    Never heard of the "new" and "old" distinction either, and I always say that I live in Carpenterstown, but Castleknock is officially in the postal address after all...

Is it really though???? Or have people just put it in.

I hate when people I know say they live in Castleknock. I'm like, you don't, you live in Coolmine and you live in Carpenterstown.

amdublin wrote: »
    Is it really though???? Or have people just put it in.

I hate when people I know say they live in Castleknock. I'm like, you don't, you live in Coolmine and you live in Carpenterstown.

Listen people. Can no one see the white elephant? It's human nature to want to be up with the Jones's.
    If it gets you through the day stick the castleknock suffix at the end. If not leave it off. Simple.
    Just be wary of the estate agents that's all and the includes those agents from castleknock, both new and old.

The townlands pre-dates the canal for example. So the physical boundaries today often have no relation to the townland boundaries. AFAIK the Irish postal system doesn't strictly follow the townland naming. Or any naming convention. It seems more about common usage than anything else.

These days you'd need to know the road name, and/or estate to identify a location.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

What is or is not Castleknock is one of those never-ending circular debates that regularly comes up in this forum.
    Let's just agree that we ALL live in Castleknock in our own little way, and get back to the original topic!

Gaspode wrote: »
    What is or is not Castleknock is one of those never-ending circular debates that regularly comes up in this forum.
    Let's just agree that we ALL live in Castleknock in our own little way, and get back to the original topic!
    I don't believe that the topic has strayed, nor "that we ALL live in Castleknock" :P . The information that has been posted is all very valid and opens up local knowledge to the OP, much of which he / she maybe completely unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spring21

i would appreciate some information on the new development beside st Patrick's NS . thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

I don't believe that the topic has strayed, nor "that we ALL live in Castleknock" :P . The information that has been posted is all very valid and opens up local knowledge to the OP, much of which he / she maybe completely unaware of.

Agreed, the op has a budget of €380,000 looking for a house, literally hasn't a hope in 'old Castleknock' or might I say 'real Castleknock' 😊

As an ex Carpenterstown man for that money I'd look at Riverwood which I think is a fine estate, there are properties available in most parts of it so if schools are a key driver one could view with that in mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement