Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus changes

Options
  • 25-03-2015 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hi all just a few changes that i think would be a good idea

Route 44 - Shouln't have been made cross city should have remained terminating at Hawkins Street

Route 45a - Scrap it seems to run parrallel to the Dart and the 7

Route 59 - Reduce timetables making it a weekday only service with a timetable revolved around school hours with 2 or 3 off peak services

Route 63 - Divide it up into 63 skipping ballyoan but still going via Carrickmines Retail Park to Kilternan and create a 63a to Ballyoan having every second bus go each direction

Route 84 - Again divide it up into 84 to blackrock not going via Cherrywood and create a new 84a to Cherrywod again having every second bus go each direction

Route 111 - Scrap never saw the point on it just seems to be a short of the 7

Route 145 - Have certain peak buses bypass Shankill and use the n11 to Bray

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

stehyl15 wrote: »

Route 44 - Shouln't have been made cross city should have remained terminating at Hawkins Street More popular since it started serving DCU apparently.

Route 45a - Scrap it seems to run parrallel to the Dart and the 7 The first 1/3 on the route is broadly similar to the 7 but it also serve area it doesn't such as further down Rochestown Ave, it then serve Ballybrack which neither the 7 nor Dart does and links Ballybrack and parts of Shankill to the 145.

Route 59 - Reduce timetables making it a weekday only service with a timetable revolved around school hours with 2 or 3 off peak services Primarily an 'old folks' bus designed to be a local route for travel between DL, Glasthule, Dalkey and Killiney as a social service. On a commercial basis it would be gone in a heartbeat but it does service a purpose which it should continue to do

IT did serve a purpose as dart feeder when those tickets were actually used but this has fallen by the way side and the route has no reason to exist anymore

Route 145 - Have certain peak buses bypass Shankill and use the n11 to BrayShankill would be one of the main markets for this route, only being served by very limited 7b at rush hour and as such shouldn't be moved. Those from Bray onwards can avail of 84x should they wish to skip Shankill.

As above, I've not much knowledge of new 63 and don't see any point in changing the 84, what benefit would that provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Route 44 - Shouln't have been made cross city should have remained terminating at Hawkins Street

Route 59 - Reduce timetables making it a weekday only service with a timetable revolved around school hours with 2 or 3 off peak services

Route 63 - Divide it up into 63 skipping ballyoan but still going via Carrickmines Retail Park to Kilternan and create a 63a to Ballyoan having every second bus go each direction

Route 84 - Again divide it up into 84 to blackrock not going via Cherrywood and create a new 84a to Cherrywod again having every second bus go each direction

Do these changes only suit you or what is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Given that Enniskerry is way out, I can't see this being a popular move. The way I see it, when you live that far out, changes should be kept to a bare minimum and should be avoided where possible.

Echoing what Cookie_Monster said, a huge portion of it is situated well away from the DART. Plus, it does serve to augment the frequency of buses running between Dun Laoghaire and Ballybrack as well as the intermediate locations. Additionally, the very large gaps between DART stations (2 miles at points) are somewhat catered for by this service.

As a local of this service, I think this idea is completely daft. While I think that it should be altered for more strategic purposes, it seems to get decent loadings between Macintosh Park and Killiney Shopping Center as well as Dalkey and Dun Laoghaire. Now, there have been plenty of times where I've seen it running near empty between said stretches. However, this seems to be a roll of the dice given the poor frequency.

I do think that some parts could be omitted where loadings are rare so that it could be changed into a feeder bus between the DART and Luas Green Line.

I completely agree with this as like the 59 mentioned, it takes too many detours rendering it indirect. This fact alone makes it unattractive.

I will second this too. Like the 44, the end of the line for the 84 is at the other end of Greystones which is a far cry from central hubs like Cherrywood and Blackrock. However, too many detours can result in a loss of attractiveness for the route which in turn, can result in diminished patronage.

The 111 prior to the Network Direct project still had decent loadings if my memory serves me correctly. Ideally, if the 45A was kept in it's current alignment, the 7 rerouted through Sally Glen road and the 111 picking up the slack of said rerouted 7 should inject viability into all routes.

Like the 45A above, the 145 augments the frequency of services in the vicinity of Shankill. Moreover, it offers a host of different destinations from Shankill which the 45A doesn't offer such as Stillorgan, UCD, Donnybrook and Stephens Green. Some may argue that beyond Foxrock Church, it becomes a duplicate of the 46A. However, it augments the frequency of buses along that stretch.

Bottom line, I've always thought that the most important factors in making a public transport route attractive are speed, directness and frequency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Like the 45A above, the 145 augments the frequency of services in the vicinity of Shankill. Moreover, it offers a host of different destinations from Shankill which the 45A doesn't offer such as Stillorgan, UCD, Donnybrook and Stephens Green. Some may argue that beyond Foxrock Church, it becomes a duplicate of the 46A. However, it augments the frequency of buses along that stretch.

Bottom line, I've always thought that the most important factors in making a public transport route attractive are speed, directness and frequency.

What meant was at peak times create kinda create a 145x going a more direct route to bray but still keeping most services via shankill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

I completely agree with this as like the 59 mentioned, it takes too many detours rendering it indirect. This fact alone makes it unattractive.

I have to say as my local service the 63 is a very good service half an hour weekdays and 45 minutes weekends and evenings its busy enough most of the time its not too bad as far as carrickmines luas stop but after it takes two lengty diversions through ballyoan and then carrickmines going through the farm isint too bad tbh. But ballyogan is a joke its nearly quicker walking to cornelscourt from Carrickmines SC altough ive realised one problem terminating buses in ballyogan lack of turnaround or pull in facilities also if buses are too be laying over there could be an issue with anti-social behavior at night time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Alternatively, just run the 84 from Newcastle to Bray every thirty minutes, and passengers travelling further could transfer onto the 145 or DART.

Advertisement