Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pup and cat

• 25-03-2015 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

Ive a pup since he was 10 weeks old, got him off a sanctuary and was told he lived with cats inside a house since he was born so thought hed be used to them, however not the case at the moment.

He always barked but now hes acting more aggressive and getting closer to the cat, constantly hunting him out of the room and just annoying the life out of him.

Cat is six years old so if all comes to all the pup will be the one who has to leave, im just wondering if he'll grow out of this behavior, hes 5 months now.

It would break me to have to re home him at this stage if im honest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Talk to the sanctuary. They will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

What breed is he? How does your cat behave with your puppy? Does she run, hiss, scratch?

I had cats before I got my two dogs, they are a herding breed so they do chase the cats given the opportunity (mainly if the cat runs, my boys run after them, also if they go outside they try to herd them back inside where they are supposed to be, apparently), that said they treat each cat differently. There's one they are cautious with because she's the most hostile, and there's one of the other end of the scale who was raised along side my boys, he thinks he's a dog himself and chases after the other cats as well. My dogs treat him like a dog, plus he is a very laid back.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Just because the dog was used to the cats were he was doesn't mean he'd be fine with all other cats. A neighbour of ours has a few dogs, one of them is a kind of husky x and is used to their cat, but it went after one of our cats and our cat ended up scraping the skin off his back legs scaling a pebble dash wall to get away from the dog. I don't know OP, your situation sounds a bit worrying to me. It could end up being fine or it could end up being a horror story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

The cat just looks at him when he starts up, never gets stressed or runs really. if he gets too close he starts throwing a paw out, its like a boxers jab, most of the time the cat walks away to avoid the hassle.

Sometimes if the dog chases him the cat will run for away for a minute then stop and runs back after the dog, tit for tat kind of thing.

Nothing has happened yet that has had me concerned for anyone its just the dog will get bigger and stronger and im worried about the future.

The dog is a terrirer collie cross:
    xnhm45.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

He's gorgeous, maybe it is just play. Just keep an eye on them and try not to leave them unsupervised until you're sure they're ok together.:)

• Advertisement

Does he have any outlets to play? Specifically with other dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

VonVix wrote: »
    Does he have any outlets to play? Specifically with other dogs?

yes hes walked everyday, plays with hes toys and I have another older dog he plays with, shes 14 though and isn't always up for playing with him.

yes hes walked everyday, plays with hes toys and I have another older dog he plays with, shes 14 though and isn't always up for playing with him.

But do you play with him with his toys? Would daycare be an option for you maybe once a week? Sounds like the kind of dog who may thrive in that sort of environment. Get a bit of his energy out so he doesn't feel so wound up and frustrated at the lack of response from your cat and dog.

Advertisement