Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moka pot - how much coffee in the filter?

• 25-03-2015 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭

I read somewhere that to use the moka pot correctly you need to fill the filter to the top, is this right?

It seems an awful lot vs the amount of liquid produced in the end.

I tend to fill mine 3/4 way up and the coffee is plenty strong and thick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I take it no one uses a Moka Pot here? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Loads of people do. I do think you answer your own question though. Moka pots are meant to be used with a full basket. However if you're making it work without filling the basket, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks, just that when I filled it up the coffee seemed particularly thick and almost like syrup, so perhaps I need to use a coarser grain rather than finely-ground coffee?

It just seemed like an awful lot of coffee for one or two shots of espresso. We're talking about 4-5 heaped teaspoons, vs what I would normally use for a double-shot in my espresso maker (about 3 heaped teaspoons).

This was Lavazza Crema e Gusto I was trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Thick, syrupy coffee is the whole goal ! If you prefer more volume you can always add hot water. OR play around with the grind size, I find this can give some very interesting results!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

mrcheez wrote: »
    I read somewhere that to use the moka pot correctly you need to fill the filter to the top, is this right?

It seems an awful lot vs the amount of liquid produced in the end.

I tend to fill mine 3/4 way up and the coffee is plenty strong and thick

I fill mine, so it's level with the lip of the basket
    A heaped basket will get compressed when you screw on the top
    18Grams is what I use in my Moka, but as stated here - use what works for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The pots come in various cup sizes. What size is the line you are using?
    You should fill with coffee to the brim and screwing tight should compact it slightly.
    Check brewmethods.com for how to videos.

You'd be better off using and filling a smaller pot (1-2 cup size pot) then half filling a larger pot.
    Bear in mind the cup size is more espresso size than large mug size.

The larger pot actually produces just enough for one cup because I stop it from boiling when the liquid runs clear (so there's still approx half a pot full of water when I stop brewing)

I guess I'm just amazed how much coffee powder is required using the moka pot vs my espresso machine to make similar amounts of coffee.

Advertisement