Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peaceful protestors arrested

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I have said before and I will repeat. Near where I live a whole village is having it's water infrastructure replaced. Also, miles of pipes been replaced in my own area. Boil water notices have been lifted in Co Roscommon, so work IS taking place all around the country.

apologies, i think we re getting ours wires crossed. i more or less agree with you on the water issue. i ll debate this further when i have the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Apart from the yfg fairies and their blind support of blueshirt austerity,there is a movement of people who have had enough of the fat cats greasing each others palms on the backs of the low waged , examples like scambridge and zero hr contracts...
    There was little resistance to the 50c tax on perscriptions a few years ago now with a 500%increase it hits the sickest and poorest of our country ...
    Are you getting it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Apart from the yfg fairies and their blind support of blueshirt austerity,there is a movement of people who have had enough of the fat cats greasing each others palms on the backs of the low waged , examples like scambridge and zero hr contracts...
    There was little resistance to the 50c tax on perscriptions a few years ago now with a 500%increase it hits the sickest and poorest of our country ...
    Are you getting it yet?[/quote

Unfortunately there is little alternative to austerity....look at the Greeks loads of pre election promises about no more cuts tax increases and what happens when they get in? Very little if anything. You can be sure the same would happen here if a Sinn Fein led coalition got in to power next year

Anyway gettin off topic here. Back to protests....white line protest on what thus afternoon whatever that is. Will there b more arrests????

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is little alternative to austerity....look at the Greeks loads of pre election promises about no more cuts tax increases and what happens when they get in? Very little if anything. You can be sure the same would happen here if a Sinn Fein led coalition got in to power next year

im very disturbed by all this and im not seeing a solution coming

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Are you getting it yet?

You'll hear no disagreement from me when you give out about jobbridge or zero hour contracts.

This a very good link and is an easy enough read on why austerity was needed, simply put our govt income was massively inflated by construction taxes which were fueled by a property bubble. Our govt expenditure didn't account for the bubble and so it increased massively too. When the bubble burst we were left with a massively reduced govt income but still huge givt spending. Even without the banking problems we were rightly screwed.

http://ec.europa.eu/ireland/key-eu-policy-areas/economy/irelands-economic-crisis/index_en.htm
    By 2006, although the public finances still appeared strong, this was deceptive, because much of the revenue the State took in was related to the property market. The property related revenues included not only stamp duty and capital gains tax, but just as importantly, a large amount of VAT paid by developers, as well as income tax paid by workers in the very large construction sector. The tax base was effectively very narrow, and dependent to a large extent on the housing boom.
    Despite this risk, Ireland continued to increase its public expenditure, funding expensive capital projects, but also allowing some categories of current spending to rise very rapidly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

even Derek Byrne didn't go starting fires - that we know of. It doesn't look good

anti-water-charges-protesters-campaigns-390x285.jpg

Howya, ya midget parasite ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

So you agree that they are not protesting at their own propertys.

This is taken from one of their Facebook sites. it wasn't PMd. "‪#‎CallOut‬ SHARE AND RETWEET‪#‎IrishWater‬ resistance urgently needed in Ballyogan , the gallops cops on site causing trouble"

Some of them are from and live in the estates, others aren,t - the others that mightn,t live there its my understanding they usually go to an area if they are asked by someone or a few people in the area, an estate near bishops field about a 15 mins walk - grange park avenue, shareridge were doing work installing boundary boxes for the water meters there a while ago, anytime I happened to pass through the area I can,t recall seen anyone trying to block shareridge putting in the boundary boxes, part of reason being some of the anti water meter protesters were likely never asked and why they didn,t go into that estate.

S.O wrote: »
    Some of them are from and live in the estates, others aren,t - the others that mightn,t live there its my understanding they usually go to an area if they are asked by someone or a few people in the area, an estate near bishops field about a 15 mins walk - grange park avenue, shareridge were doing work installing boundary boxes for the water meters there a while ago, anytime I happened to pass through the area I can,t recall seen anyone trying to block shareridge putting in the boundary boxes, part of reason being some of the anti water meter protesters were likely never asked and why they didn,t go into that estate.

Who are "shareridge"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

Who are "shareridge"?

A company installing the boundary boxes for domestic water meters.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=902247963128951&id=655857524434664

A company installing the boundary boxes for domestic water meters.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=902247963128951&id=655857524434664

Oh, you mean it's a silly makey uppy name to try and belittle honest genuine workers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Oh, you mean it's a silly makey uppy name to try and belittle honest genuine workers?

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    im very disturbed by all this and im not seeing a solution coming

something very radical has to happen in irish politics for anything to change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

something very radical has to happen in irish politics for anything to change

These politicians, media and political commentators are so far removed from reality its unreal.
    Listening to Pat Kenny on Newstalk yesterday and he had on Pat Rabbitte, Shane Ross and some other D4 sounding fella, and comment was made about Michael Noonan's remark about people never wanting a job. They guffawed at the remark and asked if anyone of them knew of people like this, to which they replied no.
    How would they, they all live in their ivory towers, I know plenty of families around this city that don't work and never intend to, that politicians and political commentators have no knowledge of this is frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

These politicians, media and political commentators are so far removed from reality its unreal.
    Listening to Pat Kenny on Newstalk yesterday and he had on Pat Rabbitte, Shane Ross and some other D4 sounding fella, and comment was made about Michael Noonan's remark about people never wanting a job. They guffawed at the remark and asked if anyone of them knew of people like this, to which they replied no.
    How would they, they all live in their ivory towers, I know plenty of families around this city that don't work and never intend to, that politicians and political commentators have no knowledge of this is frightening.

or they are aware, but wont admit it as if they start to put these people (and i use that word broadly here) down they wont vote for them... Politicians never try to seperate themselves from a group of people....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

robtri wrote: »
    or they are aware, but wont admit it as if they start to put these people (and i use that word broadly here) down they wont vote for them... Politicians never try to seperate themselves from a group of people....

How can they separate when they don't even know they exist.

In the UK voter apathy has taken over, Labour completely misread the situation and put a weak candidate forward, as someone alluded to yesterday, they backed the wrong brother.
    Sad thing, is that with the Conservatives winning, the rich will get richer and the poor poorer, expect more riots etc over the next few years, the class divide is alive and kicking in the UK I am afraid.

The 'peaceful protesters' did turn up at grange park back in February/March and on John's hill area and I would safely say that they were not invited in by the locals, .......have a look at their Facebook pages and you will see pictures and video clips of them there.....

In the UK voter apathy has taken over, Labour completely misread the situation and put a weak candidate forward, as someone alluded to yesterday, they backed the wrong brother.
    Sad thing, is that with the Conservatives winning, the rich will get richer and the poor poorer, expect more riots etc over the next few years, the class divide is alive and kicking in the UK I am afraid.

Going way off topic again here.. !
    What relevance does UK election have to our discussion about protesters etc....

Did anyone pass the quay this afternoon apparently the peaceful protesters were having a 'white line' protest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Well they're out on the streets in London at the moment protesting over the results of the election and claiming it was rigged.

deisemum wrote: »
    Well they're out on the streets in London at the moment protesting over the results of the election and claiming it was rigged.

Typical. Calling for an election. Get one. Then reject the democratic result.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Did anyone pass the quay this afternoon apparently the peaceful protesters were having a 'white line' protest

What's a white line protest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What's a white line protest?

Snorting coke on the Quay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Snorting coke on the Quay?

Was having a look through some of the anti water meter Facebook pages last night following the arrest of another of the 'peaceful protesters' in mt pleasant the other day....it seems like they are now offering their services to any 'estate' that needs them like the A-team...and strong threats when the metering guys reach the 'working class' areas....the arrest on Thursday/Friday was fairly harmless comical even refer to the video section of the 'Anti water meter task force Waterford' Facebook page
    for the footage.......

Was having a look through some of the anti water meter Facebook pages last night following the arrest of another of the 'peaceful protesters' in mt pleasant the other day....it seems like they are now offering their services to any 'estate' that needs them like the A-team...and strong threats when the metering guys reach the 'working class' areas....the arrest on Thursday/Friday was fairly harmless comical even refer to the video section of the 'Anti water meter task force Waterford' Facebook page
    for the footage.......

thank god i dont have facebook

Advertisement