Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Own evehcle build

• 26-03-2015 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys, I'd like to build an electric vehicle (weld the frame, put the motor etc.) and register it , use on road. Any advice. Is it possible?
    Jack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

eJacq wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'd like to build an electric vehicle (weld the frame, put the motor etc.) and register it , use on road. Any advice. Is it possible?
    Jack

I don't think we have a single vehicle approval system here that would allow you to register something for the road so it might be impossible. The uk do have a system where you can take your home built vehicle in for inspection and have it road legal.
    This certainly used to be the case but I'm open to correction on it as it's possible changes have been made in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Brasso

There was an Irish guy who converted some BMWs to electric, maybe you'd be interested in his site http://www.e39ev.com
    As above though I'm sure it is a lot easier if you use the chassis from an existing Irish car.

• Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭browniepoints

There is the "Irish kit car club " who as a group build and import kit cars fully made or as kits at the link .
    (new user cant do URL so you need to add the bits together)

http www ikcc ie

The basics for electric car conversions a similar subject is small cars like Fiat Seqento hardly bigger than the old fiat 500 cars make the best cheapest conversions often using wet lead acid cells ranges 20 miles .

Jed

• Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭browniepoints

This might interest you also

http www gizmag com/homebuilt-electric-z-kart/18200/

jed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭homer911

I can't see you being able to get insurance on such a vehicle..

• Advertisement

Don't use lead acid batteries, they're completely unsuitable for electric vehicles.

LiFeP04 is much better but you need a quality BMS failure to use a BMS will most likely mean dead cells quickly. You also need quality cells.

Shipping any batteries can be expensive, you need to be very sure if something goes wrong you can send them back but the shipping could be expensive if things go wrong.

Personally, until batteries in small quantities gets a lot cheaper, I wouldn't bother and TBH I'd rather put the money towards a proper EV.

If you have no experience then I would highly recommend converting a bicycle to electric. Plenty of information over at endlesssphere.com

Build an electric bike first and then decide whether or not you want to take on a lot bigger project like converting a car.

High power electric bicycles are a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

Check out my youtube channel :
    http://www.youtube.com/evbmw

I have converted two cars , working on a third and have recently added Chademo fast charge capability. You do not need a BMS and the Lifepo4 cells are little more than twice lead acid price these days if you know where to look.

I would not however recommend building a car from scratch. Ask yourself do you want to be welding or driving? Don't mind all this nonsense about a vehicle needing to be optimised for electric drive. Last Monday I drove my E39 113.6 miles on a single charge mostly on the N11.

You don't need a BMS if you continuously monitor the cells, it's especially not wise not to recommend a BMS to anyone new to the hobby.

True, a BMS isn't essential but you must carefully monitor voltages and not allow them to fall below the minimum or go above the maximum and bulk charging is never recommended, And it is known where a BMS can actually fail and damage cells but unless you want to monitor all cells all the time then this will be a pain in the ass especially when charging.

You'll still need a way to balance the cells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

eJacq wrote: »
    Jack

Queens University Belfast have been posting information on ecarni.com regarding their DeLorean electric vehicle project.

Advertisement