Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Evening of Gluttony (aka foodie birthday meal)

Options
  • 26-03-2015 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

My wife's birthday is coming up. She's a real foodie who follows more restaurants and chefs in Dublin on Twitter than anyone I know.

Recently she's been watching "Day of Gluttony" on YouTube / Apple TV, I can't post a link, but a quick search on line with provide you with a video. Basically two guys try to cover 24 restaurants, bars and coffee shops in a city in 24 hours. In the show their evening meal is split, pre dinner cocktail in one location, starters in another location, a between course drink in another bar, a main course in another resturant, drink in a bar, and finally desert in a final location.

I'd love to do something similar, maybe a bit cut down for my wife's birthday. We'd go out to Dublin for the night, do pre dinner drinks, starter, main course, desert, post dinner drinks.

Problem is - I'm not a huge foodie. So I need some help. Could any of you guys recommend venues ?

What would be the best place for early starter?
    Best place for main course?
    Best place for desert?
    Best place for a pre dinner drink (knowing my wife, I'd suspect a cocktail would be required)
    Best place for a post dinner drink?

I know I'll have to check with any venue that it is ok to come for just a single course, particularly for the starter/ desert. But I was thinking that if we got the timing right, the starter could be early, and the desert late.

What do you guys think? A good idea? Could you help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Soder & Ko should be one to look into its new (think its open about two weeks) so it's probably not somewhere she has been so you can impress her with being in the know! They do food but I would probably stick it down for cocktails very nice looking range they have! It's on Georges Street so handy location for getting to the other places you plan in going too. Good luck with it sounds like a great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mcwoods

Thank you! - that's a great suggestion, and great location. So then Soder & Ko for pre dinner drinks it is!

Then I'll book two nearby restaurants, one for starters and one for the main course.

One question I have is - where would you go for a late night desert? A coffee shop would be ideal, but I can't think of anyone which would be open late... Any suggestions?

jimmii wrote: »
    Soder & Ko should be one to look into its new (think its open about two weeks) so it's probably not somewhere she has been so you can impress her with being in the know! They do food but I would probably stick it down for cocktails very nice looking range they have! It's on Georges Street so handy location for getting to the other places you plan in going too. Good luck with it sounds like a great idea!

Surprised you haven't got any other responses I was expecting to see a lot of posts this morning!

What time do you think desert will be at? Accents is open until 11pm other than Sunday. Don't think anywhere else near by opens that late that is similar.

For the post dinner drinks you could stroll down to Vintage Cocktail Club sounds like it might go down well if she is a cocktail fan!

For the starter I would think it best to go down the pub route as I doubt many restaurants would be impressed if you booked a table just for a starter! Alternatively a pop-up opened last night called Taco Taco again it could impress her that you know about something new like that!

For the main One Pico would be a nice option its not one I hear frequently on here either.

Think that covers them all now!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,359 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

La Cave wine bar opens until 2am, might be worth calling them to see what time they stop serving dessert \ cheese plates at.

They are on South Anne Street.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Wow, thank you again! Some great suggestions.

I think we would need to start early to hit all the locations, and would aim for desert around 10pm.

If we manage to pull this off, it would be like creating the ultimate meal from the restaurants available from across the city! - it sounds exciting.

• Advertisement

Now that's a great idea! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I like the idea OP but I think you need to book places your wife definitely has an interest in. I love food and eating out but these things can be very subjective. There are places i know other people rave about that i wouldn't even rate. You could look at the stuff she follows, or even just run the idea by her.

Also you might have trouble if you just book somewhere fancy for a single course on a busy evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

I like this idea too - if you end up around that area Olesya's Wine bar is open quite late and does nice desserts/cheese boards but you might want to check what time they finish serving food. Not sure how they rate for cocktails though.

Yes, your completely right - I've done the Dublin food tour with her once (she's done it twice) and I've a good rough idea of what she likes. I think some where nice for the main course would be a great idea... A good safe bet in the mix. I think (hope) I can wing the others even if they aren't good!

I like this idea too - if you end up around that area Olesya's Wine bar is open quite late and does nice desserts/cheese boards but you might want to check what time they finish serving food. Not sure how they rate for cocktails though.

Great idea. I'm thinking cocktail before dinner, so cheese and wine / desert might work really well!

I've just got the in-laws set up for child care, so now it'll be planning and booking in full flow this week! - I'll let you guys know what I book, and of course, I'll let you know if it's a hit or a miss with my wife too! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

mcwoods wrote: »
    Great idea. I'm thinking cocktail before dinner, so cheese and wine / desert might work really well!

I've just got the in-laws set up for child care, so now it'll be planning and booking in full flow this week! - I'll let you guys know what I book, and of course, I'll let you know if it's a hit or a miss with my wife too! :)

Ah here, tmi, what goes on behind closed doors should stay there, just let us know if she enjoyed the food :pac:

kfallon wrote: »
    Ah here, tmi, what goes on behind closed doors should stay there, just let us know if she enjoyed the food :pac:

Hahah! Fair play - yes it'll purely be food related !!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Soder + Ko is delicious, was there with a group last week, it was a thumbs up from everyone.

Soder + Ko is delicious, was there with a group last week, it was a thumbs up from everyone.

Great! The food or the cocktails or both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Didn't have any cocktails myself, but the food was cracking. I had the beef cheek steamed buns and seared scallops with conchee. Both absolutely gorgeous. The only desserts they do are a range of dairy free ice creams (coconut milk), also really nice.

Went there for a couple of drinks before going to brasserie66 and the food did look REALLY good! Was tempted to just eat there instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'd recommend Bang restaurant.

It's expensive compared to other restaurants but I was there last year and still haven't eaten food as good and for a birthday treat it's so so nice.

Well the evening is underway - first stop vintage cocktail club for a pre-dinner drink. Success!! Smiles all round, I'll post some photos to Twitter @mcwoods there

Second stop tacotaco so far success - just waiting for the food & cocktails to arrive!

Good luck hope it goes well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Enjoy. We can wait til tomorrow for reports. Enjoy your night for now :)

Advertisement