Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New SSD, not showing in boot priorities

Options
  • 26-03-2015 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭

I bought a Crucial BX100 120gb SSD to use as an OS drive and installed it into my Asus K55VD laptop.

I cloned Win7 across using 'EaseUs Todo Backup'.
    Everything seemed to go fine until I tried to choose the new (B:) drive as the primary boot drive.
    Into the Bios and there was no option to choose it as a boot drive.
    It is there under the main menu so the Bios DOES see it, but just not as a bootable device.
    Also, the Bios is something called Aptio Setup Utility.

Under Device management in Windows, the old C: drive is shown with a status of Healthy(Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) whereas the SSD is only showing as Healthy(Primary Partition).

When I was assigning the SSD a drive letter and choosing options, I may have messed up.

Can I rectify this situation?

If not, I'll secure erase the SSD but for the love of mike can someone point me to an idiot-proof guide on this? I used this guide (foolishly as it turns out) http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows in order to prevent me having to do a full install of Win7 again, which in hindsight would have been far quicker.

Help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have you tried booting into the old OS and seeing if you can set the ssd in disk management?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Maybe I'm missing something. But why not disconnect the old hard disk and just leave the SSD in - would that not work? Should boot from the only available disk i.e. the SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Pique

Skerries wrote: »
    have you tried booting into the old OS and seeing if you can set the ssd in disk management?
    Yep, as mentioned. I can also see the files through windows explorer and open folder etc.
    Pique wrote: »
    Under Device management in Windows, the old C: drive is shown with a status of Healthy(Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) whereas the SSD is only showing as Healthy(Primary Partition).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Pique

Maybe I'm missing something. But why not disconnect the old hard disk and just leave the SSD in - would that not work? Should boot from the only available disk i.e. the SSD.

As it's a laptop, I didn't want to go opening it up, but if I delete the boot option for the original OS partition, it fails to boot and I have to re-enter the bios and add the original partition as the boot option again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Pique wrote: »
    Yep, as mentioned. I can also see the files through windows explorer and open folder etc.

1. it could be that there is no OS on your SSD as it's only showing as (healthy primary partition) there isn't a boot,page file, crash dump or simply (bad cloning)

2. When you clone a device there can't be 2 OS of the same kind maybe that's why it can't read it on the bios?

3. Remove your hard drive aput your SSD in it's place and check if your SSD can boot on itself

4. If problem still persist try cloning it again but this time use EZ Gig IV by apricorn it's a free software can be downloaded on their website.

• Advertisement
Advertisement