Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 mods for a Ruger 10/22

Options
  • 26-03-2015 4:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

I've aquired a 10/22 and I'll looking for recommendations on upgrades. What are the first things that need to be replaced.

Looking forward to hearing people's suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭fitzy700

the first thing im changing in mine is the trigger its a pig of a thing:(,
    and I have a new recoil buffer for it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I'll take that you have the bog standard Ruger 10/22. With barrel band and plastic/wooden stock.
    1. Trigger > Kidd single stage. This will half your groups right off - €350
    2. Bolt Buffer > Pastic/Rubber stops the clack and lowers reverberation - €5
    3. Stock > Something that allows the barrel to be floating - €150
    4. Scope Rail > Picatinny 15MOA (or more). To bring the reticle closer to centre - €50
    5. Barrel > Kidd bull, If not getting good groups other wise leave alone - €350
    6. Charging Handle > Get a longer one to make racking easy - €35
    7. Bolt, Charging handle, and Receiver > Kidd 'cos you can & then you won't have a Ruger anymore - €650 ;);)

Then you'll have one like mine :D:D:D
    Boyd stock with Butt stock riser, Kidd (Trigger, Barrel, Bolt, Charging Handle), Dlask receiver with integrated 30moa rail. Hawk sidewinder 30 6-24x56 scope.
    Plus personal customising to the trigger, scope, & charging handle.

343148.jpg

343150.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Correct, black synthetic stock & stainless threaded barrel.

Looks like it'll be 2,4 & 6 for the time been until I find a spare €1,500 between the couch cushions

hexosan wrote: »
    Correct, black synthetic stock & stainless threaded barrel.

Looks like it'll be 2,4 & 6 for the time been until I find a spare €1,500 between the couch cushions

You can get all those off eBay (2, 4, & 6) easy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

clivej wrote: »
    You can get all those off eBay (2, 4, & 6) easy enough

The Kidd trigger kit is a good option if you can't afford the full Kidd trigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

What's the price difference

I think the kit is about €115, harbour guns sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Trigger - Trigger - Trigger.

Save the money and fix thtat first - the rest you don't "need" but the trigger will provide instant visible and tangible benefits.

I like Clive, have no Ruger parts in my 10/22 its pretty much all Kidd - but you don't need to do that... most of the gun will be accurate enough :)

There are cheaper trigger options, like the Power Custom kits for about 60 ish, then as Clive said the Kidd Drop in Kit for 120 ish, and then you have the Kidd Single stage or 2 stage (have had both and now use the Single stage) or the Volquartzen TG2000 is another good option..

Now... have I mentioned you should look at the trigger first :)

Scalachi wrote: »
    Trigger - Trigger - Trigger.

Save the money and fix thtat first - the rest you don't "need" but the trigger will provide instant visible and tangible benefits.

I like Clive, have no Ruger parts in my 10/22 its pretty much all Kidd - but you don't need to do that... most of the gun will be accurate enough :)

There are cheaper trigger options, like the Power Custom kits for about 60 ish, then as Clive said the Kidd Drop in Kit for 120 ish, and then you have the Kidd Single stage or 2 stage (have had both and now use the Single stage) or the Volquartzen TG2000 is another good option..

Now... have I mentioned you should look at the trigger first :)

I'm not Clive! ;)

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    I'm not Clive! ;)

I'll still take the credit :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Guys what about initially just doing some work on the trigger, and you can take your time and find what you want in an upgrade down the line, some hammer, sear, disconnector, trigger re-set plunger stoning and polishing ? costs noting to do and start saving for what you want.

Wadi14 wrote: »
    Guys what about initially just doing some work on the trigger, and you can take your time and find what you want in an upgrade down the line, some hammer, sear, disconnector, trigger re-set plunger stoning and polishing ? costs noting to do and start saving for what you want.

That can be done IF YOU KNOW what your doing

I've seen many examples of lads making an arse of it. Then you've no trigger.
    Many examples on what to do on YouTube.

All you will ever need to know about Ruger 10/22's can be found on Ruger 10/22 section at
    RimfireCentral.com

Wadi14 wrote: »

Been there done that.

If you don't know what you're doing you could end up with a gun that could go off with a slight knock or could even go full auto!
    It can be done with the right tools but you have to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

I agree you have to know what ur doing or give it to someone who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

clivej wrote: »
    1. Trigger > Kidd single stage. This will half your groups right off - €350
    2. Bolt Buffer > Pastic/Rubber stops the clack and lowers reverberation - €5
    3. Stock > Something that allows the barrel to be floating - €150
    4. Scope Rail > Picatinny 15MOA (or more). To bring the reticle closer to centre - €50
    5. Barrel > Kidd bull, If not getting good groups other wise leave alone - €350
    6. Charging Handle > Get a longer one to make racking easy - €35
    7. Bolt, Charging handle, and Receiver > Kidd 'cos you can & then you won't have a Ruger anymore - €650 ;);)
    kidd_zpsooiz2yin.jpg

CliveJ's list is a nice start, however, he forgot ;)
    8. Kidd V Block
    9. Kidd Take Down Screw
    10. Kidd Receiver Pins
    11. Scope with big magnification and bell
    12. Tony Kidd's calling card. Feels like he should call me and thank me for putting his kids through college...
    ? - hmmm...:eek:

Anyhow, hexosan, I would encourage you to get out there, shoot a few thousand rounds, meet a few lads, and try before you buy.

I have had 10/22's for decades. Back in the day when I had more time than money, I used a bog standard 10/22 that I bought for $100. It still shoots a euro at 50ya with cheap ammo all day long.

Now that I have no time, but a bit of dosh, I find myself doing aftermarket bits. However, that's for another thread.:D

One of the cheapest things you can get is the bolt buffer. If you can pick one up, throw it in. I wonder if there's any interest in doing a group buy for Kidd buffers?

The trigger is a major upgrade and investment. Some factory 10/22 triggers are really not that bad, others, terrible. Clean it, shoot it, and try some others out. Do you want single stage or double? Kidd, Timney, Voltsquartsen?

For some strange reason, in the States, the Kidd is the cheaper than the Timney and about the same as the Voltsquartsen. The Kidd is probably the best since it is the only one that adjusts the trigger weight. The Timney is a thing of beauty too, I have one in my 10/22.

Anyhow, after the trigger comes the barrel. Kidd barrels are honed/tweak from Walther and again, are some great value.

There are some funky barrels out there like Whistle Pig and the tried and true Green Mountain and Shaw. Lastly, have a look at the deep fluting of the Clark bull barrels, shown below.
    deepfluteCM2tn.jpg

Welcome to the addiction!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭whiteley91

Are the Kidd drop in trigger kits any good? Would there be much of a difference between the drop in kit and a single stage full trigger?

whiteley91 wrote: »
    Are the Kidd drop in trigger kits any good? Would there be much of a difference between the drop in kit and a single stage full trigger?

That's a good question and I was wondering the same myself.

If anyone has done a trigger job, please let us know.

US Trigger Kit Prices
    Kidd - $105
    Voltsquartsen - $125
    Power Custom - $110
    EABCo - $55
    Clark - $75
    Rimfire Tech - $70

With full drop in trigger prices in the US around $200, it makes more sense to me to buy the full, known to work trigger, than to chance a fix.

Then there is the new BX trigger from Ruger at $69.99.

I have a trigger kit in mine, not the full Kidd trigger just the hammer, dear and trigger.

It's a huge improvement on the original and only takes 5-10 minutes to put in.

It won't give you a gallery rifle but it's more than enough for hunting.

Bw

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    I have a trigger kit in mine, not the full Kidd trigger just the hammer, sear and trigger.

Ever compare it to a full Kidd trigger? Would you be able to tell the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Myself and TommyBoy26 recently spent some time comparing the Kidd Drop in kit against the Kidd Single stage.

In side by side comparison you can feel a difference - but we agreed it was probably not enough to justify the difference in price.

I think that if you picked up either and shot either you would be happy, the difference is small and subtle and if you never fired a Kidd single stage you would think the drop in kit was perfect, and if you went the other way, you might notice a slight difference, but not sure it would be enough to affect your shooting.

• Advertisement

FISMA wrote: »
    Ever compare it to a full Kidd trigger? Would you be able to tell the difference?

No.

Advertisement