Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate Park - wtf?

Options
  • 26-03-2015 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Link
    The development also provides for the new ”Chocolate Park” [based on Roald Dahl's classic on a site is in the middle of the peninsula between Hanover Quay and Sir John Rogerson's Quay] public open space.

Is this serious? Tayto Park in Ashbourne and now Wonka Park in the bleedin city centre?

Laughing stock.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Link

Is this serious? Tayto Park in Ashbourne and now Wonka Park in the bleedin city centre?

Laughing stock.

You won't be purchasing a golden ticket so....

Seriously tho, I can't see why we are a laughing stock? At least areas are being regenerated instead of being left to go to ruin.

Wacky as it sounds, it will be a tourist trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Putting social facilites into an area that has fcuk all otherwise sounds like a terrible idea to me alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Putting social facilites into an area that has fcuk all otherwise sounds like a terrible idea to me alright

That area has plenty of facilities and has probably had most development and money pumped in to it than any other area in Dublin in recent years.In fact it would be better served building housing units for people who actually work in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

It's gonna be a regular park. Named chocolate because of the old chocolate factory. Local history. Why is this controversial OP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Tayto park isn't the worst for kids if you can get your head around the a park named after a bag of crisps.

Aard wrote: »
    It's gonna be a regular park. Named chocolate because of the old chocolate factory. Local history. Why is this controversial OP?

What was the old chocolate factory? I'm aware of Bolands biscuit factory alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Op, surely the news story here is that we're finally building apartments which will go towards tackling the housing crisis. Who gives a hoop if the park is named after the chocolate factory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

It would be great if there was a free running track in the city. I cant understand the point of having countless parks in the city, but yet there isnt a single place to go running. Most of our city parks close early during the winter, you can run on the footpaths as they are either uneven or covered in people. Its quite difficult to go for a proper run in the city. I know Germans who wonder why people dont exercise in the parks here. But they just arent suitable to exercise in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

St Stephen's Green would be the closest thing. I've seen people jogging around its perimeter when it's closed. The problem is finding enough space for a jogging spot in a largely built-up area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

hfallada wrote: »
    It would be great if there was a free running track in the city. I cant understand the point of having countless parks in the city, but yet there isnt a single place to go running. Most of our city parks close early during the winter, you can run on the footpaths as they are either uneven or covered in people. Its quite difficult to go for a proper run in the city. I know Germans who wonder why people dont exercise in the parks here. But they just arent suitable to exercise in

What's wrong with the foot path?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Danye wrote: »

Can be dangerous and you're weaving in and out of people walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Danye wrote: »

They are often incredible uneven and slippy. Does cheap cement paving slabs are quite slippy when wet. Also you can barely walk down most of Dublin 1/2 streets with the amount of people on them. There is no chance you can run on them with the amount of people.

hfallada wrote: »
    They are often incredible uneven and slippy. Does cheap cement paving slabs are quite slippy when wet. Also you can barely walk down most of Dublin 1/2 streets with the amount of people on them. There is no chance you can run on them with the amount of people.

and we're now off topic. Well done. That didn't take long.
    FFS if you want to run and I do, Dublin ain't short of parks to run in.

This is not what this thread is supposed to be about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Absolutely bizarre thing to get upset about. "Laughing stock" - wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

and we're now off topic. Well done. That didn't take long.
    FFS if you want to run and I do, Dublin ain't short of parks to run in.

This is not what this thread is supposed to be about

Are you alright there yosser?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭sleepyman

How do you define a park?Because the size of the land is more a square.A park is somewhere you can wander in.This is somewhere you can sit out maybe in lunchtime.It's meant to be finished this summer so the contractor or Dublin City Council might want to get the finger out.Across the road from there they're redeveloping an old warehouse which will be AirBnb's new HQ.

Advertisement