Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring Regs for "always on" bathroom extractor fan

Options
  • 26-03-2015 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at putting in an always on bathroom extractor fan that will boost when the humidity level increases above a preset trigger point.

There is no fan there now.
    In many new houses with bathroom fans I see a wide isolation switch, mostly over the door.

Do the regs require such a switch for all bathroom fans, my concern is it will just be turned off.
    Thanks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Yes, a three pole isolation switch is required, usually over the door to avoid switching off by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

Hoagy wrote: »
    Yes, a three pole isolation switch is required, usually over the door to avoid switching off by accident.

New regs state that the isolator must be at switch height (No higher than 1200mm)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Much obliged.
    So it seems not much comfort there of making sure it stays on.

This is the current wall vent

17larsson wrote: »
    New regs state that the isolator must be at switch height (No higher than 1200mm)

I haven't heard of that, can you clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

I don't have the rule book with me here but it is in it. The RECI inspector told me about it also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Switches must be between 400mm and 1200mm.
    Got pulled up on fan isolator switch by my inspector too.

Thanks guys, that seems to be a RECi interpretation.

I'd have thought that a fan isolator is not a switch, it's an isolating device as required by 555.5, the functional switch being the light switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks guys, that seems to be a RECi interpretation.

I'd have thought that a fan isolator is not a switch, it's an isolating device as required by 555.5, the functional switch being the light switch.

Cant say having it makes much sense if you have an always on trickle fan so easily turned off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Cant say having it makes much sense if you have an always on trickle fan so easily turned off :(

you need an isolater that has changeover contacts

wire other contacts to warning siren

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A fan connected to a blocked vent such as the this (from post #4) is not going to achieve anything:

343200.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Its like one of those aliens from the alien films coming out of that.

Advertisement