Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

training grant

Options
  • 26-03-2015 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

I have received a training grant from my employer. We both signed a form agreeing that I would pay it back if I left within x period. The course costs more than a months salary. If I give my months notice, I would suspect that the salary will be stopped. How is the rest of it paid? if I decide not to pay it, what avenue would be taken to pursue it?

And how legal is that piece of paper? both parties signed it at the time.

obviously I want to avoid loosing a months salary if possible!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Of course its legal, and entirely normal. Do you foresee never needing a reference from this company? Ireland is a small country, I wouldn't try to screw an employer over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I would imagine if this did arise, they would probably with-hold your salary. But normally to prevent this from arising you are tied into a contract and if you leave before your contract is fulfilled they can persue you for all or part of the funds advanced.

However, in the two examples I've experienced, a grant wasn't given to the employee but rather the course/training was paid for by the employer directly. In my case I was tied into a long contract as my employer had paid for my accountancy studies. In my brother's case, his employer paid for his masters and he is tied into a contract with them in relation to this. Note in both of these bases the person did not leave before the contract was up.

TBH your query is only really going to arise if you are planning on leaving the company before x period is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

It would usually be deducted from your last salary payment. Do you have any un-used holiday entitlement? If so they may pay you in lieu of the un-used days, thus adding to your final salary payment, which may then take you above the amount to be recovered. If you owe more than your last salary amount I would imagine they'd pursue you to some degree, but only they can say how much.

I left a job once in similar circumstances and they actually didn't seek repayment of the training amount at all, which surprised me. Perhaps some companies don't pursue it as vigorously as others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

if you are now going to leave, you could tell your company that you cant afford to pay it all in one go (I don't know the details of your contract so cant say if its required in a lump sum or not). You can agree a repayment plan with them.

don't refuse point blank to pay them. it could make your life difficult in the future....but maybe don't bring it up unless they do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

obviously I want to avoid loosing a months salary if possible!

There is also holiday pay to loose...

• Advertisement
Advertisement