Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weaning puppies - please help the uninitiated!

• 26-03-2015 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Our terrier has 6 three-week-old puppies, and I think its time to start weaning. I have Mother and Puppies food from RedMills, which the mother loves. We are soaking them in water, and the puppies are licking them at the moment.

I was wondering if we should give the puppies cow's milk? I gave them a small amount this morning, and they are loving it. Can they handle it ok?

Any other tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No, do not give Cow's milk. Dogs are lactose intolerant so it will only upset their tummy.

Use Goats milk instead . It is also very good for them. I raised my litter using Goats milk mixed in with their food.

You can also add in scrambled egg, mince to the dry food, but just make sure its really mushy at the moment so they can eat it easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Like what the poster above said, make sure it's really soft. Also, any puppies I've ever weaned, never knew when they had enough eaten so just be careful they don't eat too much. Mince with very soft puppy nuts would be a good place to start. They'll get the hang of it really quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pat_custard

I'm not saying you're wrong about the lactose intolerance but my two dogs have always drank milk and drink milk quite regularly and they seem fine.

You can start giving the puppies their own plate of food and let them eat that. At the moment even 2 meals a day would be enough as they are still feeding off her. You can increase the amount then over the next few weeks as they start to feed less from the mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm not saying you're wrong about the lactose intolerance but my two dogs have always drank milk and drink milk quite regularly and they seem fine.

I have one dog who can drink normal milk but my OHs boxer gets really bad diahorria if he drinks it, depends on the dog but wouldn't risk it with 6 week old puppies.

• Advertisement

But its not good for them and i certainly don't recommend you feed it to any dog, let alone weaning puppies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Don't give cow milk to the pups. I wouldn't give them any milk at all just make sure that you're feeding soft food and mum will look after the weaning.

Advertisement