Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

classic insurance for Japanese import

Options
  • 26-03-2015 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I struggle to find a quote for my jap. import (20 years old, 2Ltr)
    2 out of 5 insurance companies I contacted simply refused because it's a jap import.
    Im awaiting two more call backs for a quote and one charges me nearly 500E

Do I (age 26) have to expect that kind of money for classic insurance?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

If it's a classic policy it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

hi5 wrote: »
    If it's a classic policy it shouldn't be an issue.

seems like some won't take Japanese import in though....just wondering about the prices since this is the first time doing it and don't know anyone who could give me advise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

I have been insuring jdm jeeps for years, i just give them the make and model and let them see what price or if they can insure it because of their age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

400+ would be the upper end of the scale. I'd be expecting a very good policy for that price.
    You can get policies from about €200, try Campions in Portlaoise.
    All the old American cars are imports and they don't have a problem with being 'imports'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

I was discussing bringing in a Mercedes from Japan with my son who works in the insurance sector. His advice was to check with my insurer first for a quotation. The insurance sector dont like these Jap Imports - and ALL of them, irrespective of make and model, have been tarred with the same brush - because of the young lads and the Toyota Starlet Glanzas. The sector had quite a bashing with claims emanating from incidents with the Glanza it seems and in general with the parts differences between Euro and Jap specs. There appears to be a way around it though which also saves you a bit of VAT on import!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

hi5 wrote: »
    400+ would be the upper end of the scale. I'd be expecting a very good policy for that price.
    You can get policies from about €200, try Campions in Portlaoise.
    All the old American cars are imports and they don't have a problem with being 'imports'.

I'm with champion,couldn't fault them 27 full license 8yrs no claims trade policy 900e covers social domestic and pleasure too.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

I've classic insurance on my '90 Cosmo import, no issues with it being an import.

Advertisement