Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some places never change

Options
  • 26-03-2015 1:17pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There are a small number of shops, pubs and probably restaurants around the city that have defied changing trends over the years and have remained just as they were. As time goes on more and more of them are closing down or changing hands (like Jack Carvill's Off Licence) and being revamped or modernised. Sometimes the new version is great but I love the feeling of walking into a place and feeling like I could be walking back in time because things just haven't changed.

These are the ones I can think of for now, and I can't say for sure that they look as they did when they opened but they certainly have that feel to them:
    • Weirs on Grafton Street
    • Barnardos on Grafton Street
    • Greene's Jewellers on Aungier Street
    • Michael Guineys on Talbot Street - they still have the old lift as far as I know, where you've to close the 'gate' before the door will close.
    • The Stag's Head
    • The Swan on Aungier Street
    • The Gravediggers in Glasnevin
    Actually there could be a lot of pubs to go on the list. Can you think of any places like that you've been in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

McDaids, Harry Street

21/25

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The Freemason's building on Molesworth St.

There's often public events held there and it's well worth a drop in just for the sights, smell and atmosphere of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

uch wrote: »
    McDaids, Harry Street

I think that's a clothes shop now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

No thats the Jack Wills building next door.. McDaids is still going strong!

I remember going to Flanagans restaurant on O'Connell Street in the 80s with my family and went back recently - hadn't changed a bit and comes across dated now in a not very nostalgic way.

Guineys is the same as ever. In fairness I'd struggle to think of any place else that hasn't changed in the 20 years I've been living in Dublin.

The Long Hall in South Great Georges Street maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Irish Yeast Co, College Street
    Pen Corner, College Green
    The Lord Edward Pub (lounge and bar)
    The International Bar, Wicklow Street
    Davy Byrnes, Duke Street
    Kehoes, Sth Anne St
    Swenys Chemist, Lincoln Place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Kehoes, Sth Anne St

Kehoes changed a good bit after John Kehoe passed on and it changed hands. They altered the back room opening it upwards, put in the stairs and opened up the upstairs rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

tricky D wrote: »
    Kehoes changed a good bit after John Kehoe passed on and it changed hands. They altered the back room opening it upwards, put in the stairs and opened up the upstairs rooms.

Yeah, but he's been dead about 20 years now, no?

(As in, I don't remember it before the alterations, and I would have first gone there in the mid to late 90's I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The Long Hall pub,

Where time doth never pass.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Yeah, but he's been dead about 20 years now, no?

(As in, I don't remember it before the alterations, and I would have first gone there in the mid to late 90's I think)
    About that number, but imho there's something not quite right sitting in his former sitting room after having been served by him for so many years.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A friend told me recently that The Cigar Emporium on Grafton Street is quite old school inside - I have no reason to be in there so I'm not sure if that is because it is genuibnely there a long time or if it has been decorated to look that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

miamee wrote: »
    A friend told me recently that The Cigar Emporium on Grafton Street is quite old school inside - I have no reason to be in there so I'm not sure if that is because it is genuibnely there a long time or if it has been decorated to look that way.
    It's not the same since the smoking ban came into effect. On the other hand Guy has put in a coffee machine so you can get some very good Cuban coffee while you choose your stoogies. The humidors in there are quite old cabinets so the place always feels aged.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

OldGoat wrote: »
    It's not the same since the smoking ban came into effect. On the other hand Guy has put in a coffee machine so you can get some very good Cuban coffee while you choose your stoogies. The humidors in there are quite old cabinets so the place always feels aged.

Having been to a few Countries where you can actually smoke in Cigar Bars and then coming back to this nanny state I fail to see a reason for wanting to frequent any cigar shops in Dublin.

We have the highest tobacco prices in the €urozone so at the very least we should be allowed to smoke in Cigar Shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I was walking past The Oval on Abbey St. today. That's another old reliable. And of course, across the road we have Wynn's Hotel. Both Paradise in the sea of burger joints and amusement arcades that passes for the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Thud

Hartigans on Leeson st

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Halls camera's on Talbot Street

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Grogan's, St William Street.

Advertisement