Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPD

Options
  • 26-03-2015 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

How early on did you notice signs of SPD in your child? Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I recognised that there may have been something wrong with my daughter when she was around 18 months old. In fairness though the signs were always there. ever since she was a tiny baby.

Things like, she never liked cuddles when she was younger, she always cried like always no matter what. Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

My son flaps his hands when excited. He has been doing this since before he was a year old. From about 18months we were concerned that he wasn't developing as quickly as his peers. The signs were there from when he was a baby. He wanted to be held constantly. The tighter you held him the happier he was. Once he was big enough for a chair he was constantly jumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Unreg0909

Thanks both. My lo will be 16 months soon. Things like huge issues with texture and sounds (hates painting and Gymboree at Creche), won't go to or stay with anyone other than me, hubby or 2 other people in her Creche. The Creche manager generally has to warn people she hasn't met before going into the room She's in at Creche that she is very bad with new people. We have stopped having people to our house as she spends the entire time screaming. Is struggling with walking, almost breaking into a run rather than walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I started noticing my child was different from about a year but couldn't pin point what condition he had. From about age 2 hr started covering his ears when he heard certain noises, spinning, only eating certain foods etc. I think it was January on here who suggested spd . I'd never heard of it before but you were spot on he has the official diagnosis now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Unreg0909 wrote: »
    Thanks both. My lo will be 16 months soon. Things like huge issues with texture and sounds (hates painting and Gymboree at Creche), won't go to or stay with anyone other than me, hubby or 2 other people in her Creche. The Creche manager generally has to warn people she hasn't met before going into the room She's in at Creche that she is very bad with new people. We have stopped having people to our house as she spends the entire time screaming. Is struggling with walking, almost breaking into a run rather than walking.

The things with textures and sounds would point to potential SPD. The almost breaking into a run instead of walking would too. Thing is, a lot of people would tell you that it's normal for a child to behave like that but I knew myself that it wasn't as I'd had a child before and she didn't act like that at that age.

There's a checklist I used, it's not exhaustive and your child doesn't have to tick every single box on the list to have SPD but if you're worried your first step is to contact your GP or PHN and ask to be referred for an Assessment of Needs, under law you need to be accepted to be assessed within 3 months and then when you receive this acknowledgement you then need to be assessed within three months of that. As part of the assessment your child will see Speech & Language therapist, Occupational therapist, psychologist, physiotherapist and possibly a social worker will be there too (nothing to do with how you take care of your child just so they can observe). It'll then take a few weeks for the report to be written up with recommendations.

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/sensory-processing-disorder-checklist.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement