Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want to adopt a dog!

• 26-03-2015 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. My fiance and i have decided to rescue a dog. We have been wanting to for a long time but put it off until we had permanent, dog-friendly accommodation, which we do now. Can anyone give advice on any preparations i need to make? There is already a dog in the house, belonging to our housemates, she is 1.5 years, and extremely well behaved and friendly, but is not spayed. So first priority is making sure the dogs get along etc. I've never had a dog, but my fiance grew up with lots of dogs. Any suggestions or advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Have a think about what kind of dog you want, not necessarily in breed but requirements eg good with children, good with cats, good with small furries. Think about your current lifestyle ad how a dog will fit in eg are you currently very active or looking for more of a couch potato type dog. And then may talk to some rescues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

take a good look at your life, your free time, your favorite sports and make a clear assessment on how much time you have for daily walkies. A large dog obviously needs more exercise than a small dog (with the exception of a greyhound, they just need a couch lol). Since there is already a female dog in the house, would strongly recommend a - NEUTERED- male as 2 bitches can be a lot of trouble. Than look at pet insurance, dog walkers/pet sitters if you are away. look for a decent vet in your area...and eventually, decide if you want a pup or an older dog (personally i only have ever taken in older dogs, puppies are a LOT of work)...than it's to get dog beds, collars, leads, secure fencing in the garden..lol..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

doubter wrote: »
    A large dog obviously needs more exercise than a small dog
    Not necessarily! A lot of people in my area cycle with their terriers. Some small breeds and some big breeds don't need as much exercise, but I'd generally recommend to budget at least an hour daily for exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

The housemates dog that isn't spayed, is there plans to? A male dog is a better companion than a female dog, as females can fight one another, particularly if they aren't spayed, but even a neutered male can get aroused by a female in heat and can get quite distressed. Not only that but they can still "tie" which can be very dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I think they want to wait until she has had some pups before they spay her, maybe next year when they have time. I think we might go for an older dog but it really depends on which dog we *click* with. I have lots of free time on my hands, plus between the 4 of us in the house as long as one of us can walk both dogs a day it'll be fine. The female dog goes to the park beside us every day, we take turns to bring her. My OH was saying the same thing about getting a male, so hopefully we'll find a neutered one. But if not, is it expensive? Also, would we be allowed to take the housemates dog with us to the rescue centre? Or bring the rescue dog for a visit before we officially adopt him? The other dog is friendly to all dogs but you never know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I think they want to wait until she has had some pups before they spay her, maybe next year when they have time

I really hope you are wrong OP.... please ask them to use google and educate themselves....all the pounds and recsue's centres RAMMED with unwanted dogs / puppies bringing another litter into the world is NOT the best idea. God god I thought that old fashioned view went out with the fairies

cocker5 wrote: »
    I think they want to wait until she has had some pups before they spay her, maybe next year when they have time

I really hope you are wrong OP.... please ask them to use google and educate themselves....all the pounds and recsue's centres RAMMED with unwanted dogs / puppies bringing another litter into the world is NOT the best idea. God god I thought that old fashioned view went out with the fairies

That's pretty condescending. They have homes lined up for at least 3 pups and are prepared to keep two, depending on how many she has. That's their decision. It's also not the point of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

rawn wrote: »
    That's pretty condescending. They have homes lined up for at least 3 pups and are prepared to keep two, depending on how many she has. That's their decision. It's also not the point of this thread.

Well apologies if i came across as condescending - but im sorry its a fact of life. In this day and age its ridiculous to want to bring more puppies into an already crammed world... they may have homes for "some" of these dogs but can the guarantee this for the life of the dog - more than likely not. Health testing?? I doubt it.

Im sorry but they are text book back yard breeders.

Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It might not be the point of the thread, but it's crucial to your plans of getting a dog.

You do know that if she has pups she will do everything and anything to protect her pups including acting fairly aggressively towards any other dog in close quarters - eg yours if you get one?

What is the reasoning behind having pups? Please say it's not the old fashioned "Every bitch should have a litter before they're spayed" because that's a myth. What breed is she and has she had genetic health testing to see whether she would be a healthy enough bitch? What about the sire? Has he been chosen? Has he had health testing?

If they keep a female pup there could be a lot of fighting once the pup matures. As I've said, females can fight, the chances are a lot higher if the females are related - mother and daughter fighting is very common. And it's not just a warning nip, it can be a full on fight with serious injuries. Your housemates need to educate themselves before they make a decision to breed, it's not one that should be taken lightly, it's very hard work, it's very expensive to do and even with the best of intentions people who said they would take a pup can decide against it at the last minute.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks,
    Can we just back off with the judgy comments please? If you really want to get the op and their housemate to stop and think, then the "omg-esque" comments are bound to backfire.
    Educate but don't preach.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

To be honest I think you should hold off until you dont live with an unspayed female.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

30000 dogs put to sleep in Ireland between January 2006 and January 2008. We don't need any more amateur breeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Juran

Firstly I commend you on wanting to get a rescue dog – thereare hundreds in the country that need a loving home.

Two things jump out at me from your posts and I will give myadvice as you have asked:

1. You seem to want a dog to suit the current house,current housemates and your housemates’ dog. I don’t know about your personal circumstances,but consider the future, a few years down the line – make sure you adopt the rightdog for you and your partner and your own life/house in 2, 5 or 10 years’ time.Dog rescue centres are reporting that so many dogs are being handed in aspeople can’t keep them anymore due to their personal circumstances … change in location,change of house, new baby, unable to handle large dogs, etc … its so unfair onthe dog.

2. You ask thequestion if neutering is expensive …. Mostrescue centres will neuter the dog before going to a new home and you will beexpected to ‘donate’ the cost back, neutering can cost approx. 100-150 for amale, and 150-200 for a female.

If you plan to bring a dog into your life,you need to be prepared to pay costs associated with the care of the dog …. areyou concerned with medical costs? If yes, you might not be ready for a dog justnow. We have a rescue dog who is fit and healthy, and each year we fork out anythingfrom €150 to €300 for vet bills .. regular vaccinations, occasional tummy bug,worm & flea treatment. When she pulled a back muscle a few years ago (fromjumping for a ball), x-rays, medication and check-ups costs up close to €500 overa 2 week period.

PS. Can I also add to previous posts that your housemate shouldget their dog spayed and not bring unwanted puppies into the world – they areignorant if they think she should have a litter before being neutered.

Can a mod close this thread please? I don't feel like i will get any advice without comments about unwanted puppies, despite it being beyond my own control. Thanks for the other advice i did get, which i will take into consideration.

kylith wrote: »
    Not necessarily! A lot of people in my area cycle with their terriers. Some small breeds and some big breeds don't need as much exercise, but I'd generally recommend to budget at least an hour daily for exercise.

there's a difference between 'need' and 'can ' . Every dog loves to exercise (well except my stubborn rough collie who won't put a toe outside when it rains)

I think they want to wait until she has had some pups before they spay her, maybe next year when they have time. I think we might go for an older dog but it really depends on which dog we *click* with. I have lots of free time on my hands, plus between the 4 of us in the house as long as one of us can walk both dogs a day it'll be fine. The female dog goes to the park beside us every day, we take turns to bring her. My OH was saying the same thing about getting a male, so hopefully we'll find a neutered one. But if not, is it expensive? Also, would we be allowed to take the housemates dog with us to the rescue centre? Or bring the rescue dog for a visit before we officially adopt him? The other dog is friendly to all dogs but you never know...

will pm you

Can a mod close this thread please? I don't feel like i will get any advice without comments about unwanted puppies, despite it being beyond my own control. Thanks for the other advice i did get, which i will take into consideration.

While the tone may not have been what you were looking to hear can I suggest that you take a breath for a minute and consider that the people offering advice on your flatmate are trying to help all dogs and it's not personal. Maybe you could use the information here to help suggest to your flatmate that waiting until after a litter to spay her bitch is unnecessary and that essentially breeding from her bitch is unnecessary.

Someone else posted this in another thread today and I think there is no harm in maybe showing it to your flatmate

https://youtu.be/n6xI7xt99zA

With regards to rescuing a dog, you haven't given any indications as to the type of dog or lifestyle you have so it is pretty hard to give advice.

with regards to neutering, most/all rescues neuter before they rehome I think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Thread closed at OP's request, though the option was there for you to report the one or two posts that went ahead and ignored my on-thread warning, and continued to get some good advice rather than just shutting up shop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement