Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dismissal - need advice?

Options
  • 26-03-2015 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I feel I need to explain the entire situation relating to this job so I apologise in advance for the length of this query.

I started a 9 month JobBridge internship with this company back in December 2013, but afterwards I couldn't accept full-time work because of a position on a 3 month training course I'd accepted before the job was offered to me. I told my employer I'd be happy to continue working part-time until the course was over and then see about working full time then. I started the part-time work without a contract and was eligible to start on the Social Welfare's casual docket system, but had to write a letter to JobBridge stating that I had been offered full time work and was unable to accept it so that the waiting period before my boss hired another intern was waived.

Around 3 months later another intern was hired for the same position I'd been in and I'd helped to train her in while also continuing my own work on an ongoing project. A few months I found out that I was pregnant and then I told my employer about it 3 weeks ago (I'd wanted to wait until after 12 weeks). However, recently I finished up my work on the ongoing project and then my boss asked to speak to me this morning, explaining that I was being given my two weeks notice. Basically now that the project is finished, there isn't enough work to keep both myself and our intern busy so I'm being let go.

Does anyone know if I have any rights to appeal this dismissal? Or does the fact that I worked part-time without a contract mean that my employer was entitled to dismiss me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I feel I need to explain the entire situation relating to this job so I apologise in advance for the length of this query.

I started a 9 month JobBridge internship with this company back in December 2013, but afterwards I couldn't accept full-time work because of a position on a 3 month training course I'd accepted before the job was offered to me. I told my employer I'd be happy to continue working part-time until the course was over and then see about working full time then. I started the part-time work without a contract and was eligible to start on the Social Welfare's casual docket system, but had to write a letter to JobBridge stating that I had been offered full time work and was unable to accept it so that the waiting period before my boss hired another intern was waived.

Around 3 months later another intern was hired for the same position I'd been in and I'd helped to train her in while also continuing my own work on an ongoing project. A few months I found out that I was pregnant and then I told my employer about it 3 weeks ago (I'd wanted to wait until after 12 weeks). However, recently I finished up my work on the ongoing project and then my boss asked to speak to me this morning, explaining that I was being given my two weeks notice. Basically now that the project is finished, there isn't enough work to keep both myself and our intern busy so I'm being let go.

Does anyone know if I have any rights to appeal this dismissal? Or does the fact that I worked part-time without a contract mean that my employer was entitled to dismiss me?

Even with a contract, within the first year you can be let go for no particular reason..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

_Brian wrote: »
    Even with a contract, within the first year you can be let go for no particular reason..

True.

But the OP is pregnant. It would be very hard for the company to prove that this is not why they fired her, especially since JobBridge is not supposed to displace regular workers.

OP, I'd suggest talking to the people at FLAC, they will have some suggestions on how you might appeal this, and what sort of compensation you might get.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

True.

But the OP is pregnant. It would be very hard for the company to prove that this is not why they fired her, especially since JobBridge is not supposed to displace regular workers.

OP, I'd suggest talking to the people at FLAC, they will have some suggestions on how you might appeal this, and what sort of compensation you might get.

OP wasn't displaced though she took on a different part time role as she couldn't commit to a full time role? The project she was working on is now done.

I think it's probably 50/50 here tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

She should still talk to FLAC.

Advertisement