Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EXT3 Disk recovery

Options
  • 26-03-2015 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

I have a 2TB disk that is used as an external data storage for a video recorder, it is in Ext3 format.

I had it connected to a windows PC with a to copy/delete some files and there appeared to be a problem when deleting one file, it took a long time with constant disk activity. Possibly a file allocation problem.

The disk is now not recognised by the recorder and will not load correctly on the PC.

The disk spins up and I don't think there is any hardware fault or bad sectors as it has not shown any signs before now.

I am hoping that a recovery program can rebuild the FAT as the data should still be intact.

As it is not a native windows format and is not being identified as a EXT3 disk by a partition manager/recovery program I am hoping a recovery program running on Linux may be able to fix it.

Problem is I don't have any Linux knowledge, anyone any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I would connect the device to the Linux box, identify it using "sfdisk -l" and run "fsck -t ext3 /dev/sdXX", where "sdXX" is the Linux device identifier assigned by the OS. Bear in mind this is fairly advanced stuff for a Linux/Unix novice.

Advertisement