Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Best deals on iPads

• 26-03-2015 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I'm looking to buy an iPad, not interested in the mini, and wondering has anyone seen any good deals? Had placed an order on an exdisplay iPad 2 with D.I.D Electrical but was just informed that the one they were going to sell me has a fault. €199 was the original offer but that deal is now gone. I'm looking to spend up to the €300 mark, doesn't have to be the newest model just looking for guidance on where to buy!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Apple refurbs are usually the cheapest way to pick up a "new" one with warranty. I've got a few different refurbs from Apple over the years and they've always been in brand new condition. Only difference is they come in a plain white box.

Refurb.me is a good site to set alerts for when what you're looking for comes into stock.

Buddy have you used that site before? Reliable yeah? If something goes wrong what are they like for warranty?

Edit: Ah it's simply an alert system for Apples refurb store, very very handy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Hi Im thinking as well, just wondering is stuff like this ok?
    Is there anything I should look out for when buying 2nd hand?
    http://www.donedeal.ie/phones-for-sale/ipad-air-32gb-brand-new-12-month-warranty/9006004?offset=10

as for this guy.....is he selling a paper weight?
    http://www.donedeal.ie/phones-for-sale/ipad-4-plus-iphone-4s/8941301?offset=26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

If you are buying from private sellers, the I would advise hitting adverts.ie and buy from seller with good feedback. You are pretty much guaranteed not to be shafted.

I upgraded from my trusted iPad 2 32gb up to Air 16gb recently. Bought a boxed & sealed air for €330 and got €230 for the 2nd gen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 mbc33

dodzy wrote: »
    If you are buying from private sellers, the I would advise hitting adverts.ie and buy from seller with good feedback. You are pretty much guaranteed not to be shafted.

I upgraded from my trusted iPad 2 32gb up to Air 16gb recently. Bought a boxed & sealed air for €330 and got €230 for the 2nd gen.
    Thanks so much, will definitely have a look on adverts and see what's on offer!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Keep your eye on Adverts.ie

I picked up a brand new sealed iPad Air 2 with receipt and full apple warranty after activation a week or two back for my dad for €420. Thats €90 less than Apple.ie if you were looking for a new item.

mbc33 wrote: »
    Thanks so much, will definitely have a look on adverts and see what's on offer!

310 would buy this. Remember, warranty starts once it's activated so as long as it's sealed, you'll get the full duration. That's just an example. Plenty around for similar money. Enjoy !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

310 would buy this. Remember, warranty starts once it's activated so as long as it's sealed, you'll get the full duration. That's just an example. Plenty around for similar money. Enjoy !

Not necessarily. It depends on the date on the receipt, not the date it's opened. If it was bought 18 months ago, but not registered until today, the warranty may show as expired on Apple's system. Used to happen a lot with PC World display product. They (Apple) usually start the warranty on the shipping date, which is all wrong to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Take a look at current offering from ibood.ie
    38% discount on some ipad2's

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Not necessarily. It depends on the date on the receipt, not the date it's opened. If it was bought 18 months ago, but not registered until today, the warranty may show as expired on Apple's system. Used to happen a lot with PC World display product. They (Apple) usually start the warranty on the shipping date, which is all wrong to me.

I bought an air on adverts. It was purchased 5 moths before I bought it and I checked the warranty once I activated it and got exactly 1 yr from that point when verified on the apple site. I just assumed on that basis that the warranty activates from first use. Makes sense, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Cerco wrote: »
    Take a look at current offering from ibood.ie
    38% discount on some ipad2's

Will someone tell me whats the story with these lads? Are they reliable? Whee do they ship from and is it a refurb you'd be getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Mourinho wrote: »
    Will someone tell me whats the story with these lads? Are they reliable? Whee do they ship from and is it a refurb you'd be getting?

Dutch company. Terrible delivery times. Lack of customer support. That is from personal experience. Some gear is refurbed, most is new. Should state on offer if it is refurbed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I bought an air on adverts. It was purchased 5 moths before I bought it and I checked the warranty once I activated it and got exactly 1 yr from that point when verified on the apple site. I just assumed on that basis that the warranty activates from first use. Makes sense, no?

No, if you think about it, if you buy a product from a shop, does the warranty begin 5 months later when you start using it? No, it's date of purchase. If you buy direct from Apple they will have the start date as the shipping date. It seems to be an anomaly they have when shipping bulk orders. It worked for me on an iPad mini I bought second hand, sealed in the box, but if for any reason they had asked for a receipt I had no proof of the purchase date. It's great that we deal with Apple directly in these situations, and not have to go through the original retailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Have a look at argos.ie some bargains at the moment accross all the ipad range.

www.argos.ie

you can use http://www.checkargos.com/ to check availability in your local store.

whiterebel wrote: »
    No, if you think about it, if you buy a product from a shop, does the warranty begin 5 months later when you start using it?

Of course I was only referring to Apple product in respect of the "warranty from activation date as opposed to actual purchase date". ;)

Advertisement