Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DELL Computers Delivery Strategy?

Options
  • 26-03-2015 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

just tracking an delivery order placed with DELL - and if im correct the delivery path it takes is somewhat quite weird and doesnt seem logical to get the delivery in a timed and logical route.

Basing that Im thinking the EMF Departed Manu.Facility is in limerick (or is it in poland?) ... then it goes to Lutterworth (is that the Lutterworth in Leicester in the UK?) .... then back to Athlone in Ireland .... and then finally DPD Sligo/Leitrim. Is this really the delivery path??? why not (if it comes from limerick) go from Limerick to athlone and then to sligo why send it all the way to lutterworth in the UK? - of course i might be wrong because i thought years back I heard all operations fro the Dell factory in Limerick were moved to Lodz in Poland .. but then later on i read somewhere that Dell still has some operations still in Limerick

tracking_1.jpg

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The most logical assumption is that the manufacturing facility is abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Do they manufacture in China and warehouse in Poland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Lodz Poland not Limerick. Remember the illegal state aid 1900 redundancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Oryx wrote: »
    The most logical assumption is that the manufacturing facility is abroad.

so manufactured in Lodz poland then delivered to lutterworth UK and then Athlone then Sligo - yes I suppose that does make sense. What a shame all that happened to Limerick that time and all operations went to poland. A great loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Dell have a facility in Lutterworth. EMF is a subsidiary of Dell, so that would be the warehouse it was shipped from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

AFAIK Dell now manufacture all their European stock in the Far East. Foxconn are the main manufacturing 'partner'.
    They have streamlined their spec options over the last few years, so most of what people now order is sitting in a warehouse somewhere in Europe.

Back when they manufactured in Limerick (and probably Lodz) there was no stock held anywhere.....PC's and Laptops were only manufactured as they were ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    AFAIK Dell now manufacture all their European stock in the Far East. [...]

Not only now. Opened up my Dell recently. It has "Made in Ireland" label outside. Everything inside is "Made in China".

Bought it 8 years ago. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Actually Dell has outsourced the delivery process to Syncreon (Welsh Western International) which is the WWI Lutterworth in your tracking.

Syncreon either grabs it from their warehouse (for standard parts or non customized items) or get's it into their hub from the manufacturing facility (China or Poland).

Syncreon than bring pallets of stuff over to DPD Athlone where they hand the individual parcels over to DPD for delivery. DPD than distributes it to the local depot (franchise) who than delivers it.

And if you return it (or parts) it's the same backwards, DPD collects it with an address c/o DPD Athlone which brings it to Syncreon.

Your order must have been a part because that is the fastest I have seen the chain work in while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

so manufactured in Lodz poland then delivered to lutterworth UK and then Athlone then Sligo - yes I suppose that does make sense. What a shame all that happened to Limerick that time and all operations went to poland. A great loss!

The jobs lost in Limerick were mainly low paid factory assembly jobs and over 20% of the workforce relocated to Poland.

Dell are still in limerick and whlst they don't have the numbers employed they used to do, they have located a lot of research and development, finance and sales functions there which are less mobile and far far better paid jobs.

Actually Dell has outsourced the delivery process to Syncreon (Welsh Western International) which is the WWI Lutterworth in your tracking.

Syncreon either grabs it from their warehouse (for standard parts or non customized items) or get's it into their hub from the manufacturing facility (China or Poland).

Syncreon than bring pallets of stuff over to DPD Athlone where they hand the individual parcels over to DPD for delivery. DPD than distributes it to the local depot (franchise) who than delivers it.

And if you return it (or parts) it's the same backwards, DPD collects it with an address c/o DPD Athlone which brings it to Syncreon.

Your order must have been a part because that is the fastest I have seen the chain work in while.

Thanks for the info very interesting, at least i see now why the delivery was quick then - It was a laptop, but then again when i ordered online i chose a thing that said something about laptops already made up to standard specification and that it was quicker delivery so I suppose then they have them made up in Lutterworth and just ship them out from there. - One other plus is that I was thinking of sending this laptop back under the 30 day warranty because its one of these laptops with built-in touchpad with the left and right 'click' select buttons and i'm hating it at the moment, as i'm pressing the right button and it sometimes selects the left button which it is annoying but it could also could be a faulty touchpad - but i didnt fancy returning it all the way to LODZ but if it only has to go back to UK then thats not too bad .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Thanks for the info very interesting, at least i see now why the delivery was quick then - It was a laptop, but then again when i ordered online i chose a thing that said something about laptops already made up to standard specification and that it was quicker delivery so I suppose then they have them made up in Lutterworth and just ship them out from there. - One other plus is that I was thinking of sending this laptop back under the 30 day warranty because its one of these laptops with built-in touchpad with the left and right 'click' select buttons and i'm hating it at the moment, as i'm pressing the right button and it sometimes selects the left button which it is annoying but it could also could be a faulty touchpad - but i didnt fancy returning it all the way to LODZ but if it only has to go back to UK then thats not too bad .

What 30 day warranty? Their products generally have a 1 year guarantee and Dell's returns policy is limited to 14 days after delivery which is the minimum required under distance selling regulations for change-of-mind returns. As that deadline has expired you can no longer return a perfectly good laptop just because you don't like some feature.

If the product is faulty you may return it as a consumer rights claim in which case, by law, the shipping must be paid by Dell (or you pay first and they reimburse you) so it wouldn't really matter where it had to go to. Dell may also pay shipping as part of a guarantee claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Am I counting wrong or is today not the 14th day after delivery ??? If he was quick he could contact them now and request a refund.........if I'm counting properly (5 days in March and 9 in April).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Ring up get through to support don't go in as a home user so you get through to Cherrywood, Explain to the tech and ask for his/her manager. No point ringing sales they don't care once the sale is done. Have order number ready

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Am I counting wrong or is today not the 14th day after delivery ??? If he was quick he could contact them now and request a refund.........if I'm counting properly (5 days in March and 9 in April).
    You're correct, the countdown begins on the day following delivery not the day of delivery (which was were my count fell down) which makes today the very last day, assuming delivery was made on the 26th March.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

delahuntv wrote: »
    The jobs lost in Limerick were mainly low paid factory assembly jobs and over 20% of the workforce relocated to Poland.

Dell are still in limerick and whlst they don't have the numbers employed they used to do, they have located a lot of research and development, finance and sales functions there which are less mobile and far far better paid jobs.

1900 jobs lost, and they weren't badly paid. Limerick would have preferred not to have lost them. Shocking to allow another EU country to "buy" the production from another member state

slimjimmc wrote: »
    What 30 day warranty?....

yep, sorry my mistake i was looking at dell usa and canada offer the 30day cool off thing - indeed in the EU its 14days and the laptop must be sent back unused.

Advertisement