Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

any lumia 830 owners here?

• 26-03-2015 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Looking for a new phone around the €300 mark with a decent camera and the 830 looks like an interesting non Android option
    watched this pre demim review on pcoket now and a review on Trusted reviews and it looks like its got a really good camera. Especially like the OIS and low light performance.

Couple of questions/concerns:
    Whats the camera performance like with the new denim camera 5 update?
    Does it support HDR now?
    Performance seems to be sluggish/stuttery in some places, what are peoples experience of that?
    App switching an issue? i wouldnt be a power user by any means but would like to be able to switch between whatsapp/texts/browser without issues.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I have a lumia 930 but i'll try to answer based on it.

Camera quality hasn't really changed for me, major difference is that it opens a lot faster.
    Does it support HDR now?
    Mine doesn't.
    Performance seems to be sluggish/stuttery in some places, what are peoples experience of that?
    Performance is always silky smooth on Windows Phone. I was using my brothers HTC Trophy which is WP7 based and it's still silky smooth.
    App switching an issue? i wouldnt be a power user by any means but would like to be able to switch between whatsapp/texts/browser without issues.
    Very quick changing between apps. If you either use the start screen or invoke the recent apps screen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

TBi wrote: »
    I have a lumia 930 but i'll try to answer based on it.

Does it support HDR now?
    Mine doesn't.

If you've got a 930, then you definitely have HDR, it's just called Rich Capture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

CatInABox wrote: »
    If you've got a 930, then you definitely have HDR, it's just called Rich Capture.

Well that's a new one for me. Never noticed it before. Thanks!

EDIT: 830 should support it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Says you need an OTA update for the 830 for that.
    The 830 is only avaliable on vodafone and Three (as of a few days ago)
    If i buy an unlocked 830 from the abroad how would i get updates if i uses it on a non supported operator?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Scruff wrote: »
    Says you need an OTA update for the 830 for that.
    The 830 is only avaliable on vodafone and Three (as of a few days ago)
    If i buy an unlocked 830 from the abroad how would i get updates if i uses it on a non supported operator?

Check this website.

Essentially, if the phone you're buying is from a European country, then you should be able to update to Denim straight away.

Not sure about other countries, but I'd say it's out in most at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Bought a 730 sim free in Germany.
    Updated itself a good while back and is on 'Denim 8.1 Update'.

€199 and didnt see the benefit of paying an extra 100 for the 830. Prefer the 730 in fact since bit smaller and lighter. (twin sim is handy when travelling although would have gone for the 730 even without that feature). Size would be my only criticism. Its not bad. But for screen size, there is a lot of spare space around it, and the case, while nicely rounded, seems to add unnecessary millimeters to all 3 dimensions.

Lesser camera to the 830 but mine does record 1080p video if that what you're asking.
    Camera is very good I find. Using 'Camera'. It did update to also offer 'Lumia Camera' but I didnt find much difference between them so just deleted that one rather than have the two.
    OS is very quick and smooth to open apps and switch.

Apps selection is lesser than android, but really, do people really need a choice of a hundred clock or weather apps?

Good experience overall, after moving from Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Scruff wrote: »
    Couple of questions/concerns:
    Does it support HDR now?

I bought an 830 late last year, after having Android phones for the last 6 years or so. Don't use the camera terribly much, but pictures are fine when I do. You'll get a great idea of what you can do with the camera here.

I'll very occasionally see "resuming" when opening the MS weather app - it's only that app, and it's extremely infrequent. Apart from that, I've had no issues with the phone, and can heartily recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Any good flip covers for them (not the wireless charging ones). Just got one, and dont want to be getting it scuffed or damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...I'll very occasionally see "resuming" when opening the MS weather app - it's only that app, and it's extremely infrequent. Apart from that, I've had no issues with the phone, and can heartily recommend it.

That MS weather app is the one app that is slow on my 520.

Advertisement