Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The biggest lies in movies...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Red Eyes

That a bus can make a 50 feet jump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Phone calls are answered immediately, otherwise their dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

2 folk having heated conversation on phone. One hangs up. Phone goes beeeep. Other goes, confusedly, 'hello? hello!', or 'don't you hang up on me!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Main characters regularly discuss murders,robberies and other illegal stuff on buses, at bars, in taxis or other places in close proximity to people and these people can never hear a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

2 folk having heated conversation on phone. One hangs up. Phone goes beeeep. Other goes, confusedly, 'hello? hello!', or 'don't you hang up on me!'.

Then they press the hang-up button repeatedly and say 'Are you still there?'

Well, no. Even if they hadn't already hung up on you, you have hung up on them. Three or four times in quick succession, you numpty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Your never see fat people in a passionate love scene :pac:

( no disrespect fat ppl )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Haven't read the entire thread, so excuse me if you've had 'protagonist needs to get somewhere in a hurry: if driving, they first find an unbelievably convenient parking space, after which they slam their car door and hurry away, NEVER locking the vehicle. It is always untouched when they return: unless of course the bad guys are watching the car, in which he/she abandons it without a second thought, never to return. (All that essential **** that you keep in your car - driving licence, money, glovebox gun, your precious CDs? F*ck it. Actually, you might get the gun. distracting the bad guys while you retrieve it unnoticed makes for a nifty little scene. Think Dustin Hoffman getting the local Crips to rob his apartment in Marathon Man).

If our hero is in a taxi, however, the parking problem is solved, and as an additional bonus you get to jump out without paying, unless of course it's a plot-point or the director really wants that Noo Yawk gritty realism and the cabbie has to shout "Hey buddy, y'owe me twenny bucks!". In this case the hero is honour bound to fling far too much money at the cabbie. This also goes for cafe scenes, where it is de rigeur to drop at least 10 dollars on the counter for a $1.50 cup of joe, and you never wait around for change. It's ok, though, because movie small change and walking-around money never runs out, because then the hero has to go to an ATM, and that NEVER happens. Unless it's a plot-point....'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

That Matthew Broderick can actually act.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Tbf, I don't think there's been a portrayal of Indians as savages in film since probably around 1970 when 'Little Big Man' with Dustin Hoffman turned the western genre on its head and showed the Native Americans as sympathetic and the US Calvary as the enemy.

Add to that Soldier Blue and Dances with Wolves.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Disney making out that being a princess is a good thing and that the simple serf just want to work to make the royal family as happy as possible.

That villains routinely monologue when they capture their enemy, thereby giving them a chance to escape or be rescued.

Even the feckin' computer monologued in Terminator Salvation :rolleyes:

Or when the villain has a hostage and can shoot the hero but decides to have a chat instead. There should be no reason for a stand off when the villain gets a hostage, he's basically gone check mate. Instead he brings the prolonged gun battle to an end and has a chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Not the movies but I don't think anybody has ever taken a sh1t or a p1ss in EastEnders, Coronation Street, Home and Away, Fair City, Neighbours etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

If a person knocks another out and takes their uniform, it will always fit perfectly.

You've never watched "Raiders of the Lost Ark" then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Silencers that actually sound like a little thud or a whimper.

Was absolutely stunned when firing some rifles and pistols silenced for real to learn they are still as loud as ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

1 James Bond punch always knocks the guy out......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Artificial Intelligence

When you look at current research into development of AI, you'd ask yourself why even bother.
    Like a self fulfilling prophecy, it seems that a lot of filmmakers views on AI is that once it becomes developed to the point of inevitable self awareness then there will be war between us and the 'machines'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

ScumLord wrote: »
    Or when the villain has a hostage and can shoot the hero but decides to have a chat instead. There should be no reason for a stand off when the villain gets a hostage, he's basically gone check mate. Instead he brings the prolonged gun battle to an end and has a chat.

Or they have 200 hundred henchmen,and they take on teh good guy 1 at a time.
    Just pile in:D and kill him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

In car chases members of the public never get knocked down even when the vehicles mount the pavement.
    Screeching tyres is another one . Always screeching during a chase sequence. Even up on grass sometimes. I can never get my tyres to screech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Wibbs wrote: »
    Burning torches in any flic set before "modern times". Maybe used for a brief period of time back then, but they were never used in interiors and castles were most certainly not lined with them. You'd need an army of slaves and a huge hape of ready made torches to keep them lit through the night and the light from the oils they had back then would be pretty crap, never mind the soot and the smell.

Kind of related to this, but it always bugs me in movies when the adventurer/hero discovers some long lost tomb/hidden area in castle etc that no one has entered in 500 years and its full of lit torches.

Who lit the torches? Are they nuclear torches that never need to be replenished. Games and movies are equally to blame for this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

jones wrote: »
    Kind of related to this, but it always bugs me in movies when the adventurer/hero discovers some long lost tomb/hidden area in castle etc that no one has entered in 500 years and its full of lit torches.

Who lit the torches? Are they nuclear torches that never need to be replenished. Games and movies are equally to blame for this one

Enter tomb that's been abandoned for 2000 years and find fresh fruit and submachine gun upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Enter tomb that's been abandoned for 2000 years and find fresh fruit and submachine gun upgrade.

Gaming wise i was specifically thinking of Uncharted/tomb raider here haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Horses in Westerns(some times with an 18 stone John Wayne) seem to able to run full gallop for hours, while best horses at a racecourse are knackered after a mile.

valoren wrote: »
    Artificial Intelligence

When you look at current research into development of AI, you'd ask yourself why even bother.
    Like a self fulfilling prophecy, it seems that a lot of filmmakers views on AI is that once it becomes developed to the point of inevitable self awareness then there will be war between us and the 'machines'.
    The thing I don't like about AI in films and TV is them becoming intelligent means them essentially turning into emotional humans. Just look at the series "humans" they have emotions and even baggage that spontaneously manifests itself because now they're "alive", and being alive means being exactly like humans.

There's never really any real effort to make an intelligent artificial life form, it's more a case of "what if.. a human was a robot".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

People can see underwater perfectly with just the naked eye and no irritability. They can also hold their breath no bother for a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Or have to get through an elaborate set of traps and riddles that no-one has seen in two millenia, requiring the use of one-of-a-kind artifacts, and when you get to the end the bad guy is already there waiting for you.

In car chases members of the public never get knocked down even when the vehicles mount the pavement.
    Screeching tyres is another one . Always screeching during a chase sequence. Even up on grass sometimes. I can never get my tyres to screech.

But they do always lose a hubcap on a corner, and they do always plough into the pile of empty cardboard boxes.

ps: you get a most realistic 'car chase screech' in a multi-storey carpark...

The main goal of evolution is to turn people into "highly evolved beings" that can control things with their mind. Forget your science sci-fi we're all going to be gods and we can get through anything if we believe really hard.

Movies tell me that I can stagger out of bed, not need a pee or a hairbrush (never mind a shower, toothbrush, makeup and eyedrops), pull on the first things I find on the floor - and I will look tousled, but gorgeous.

GORGEOUS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Candie wrote: »
    Movies tell me that I can stagger out of bed, not need a pee or a hairbrush (never mind a shower, toothbrush, makeup and eyedrops), pull on the first things I find on the floor - and I will look tousled, but gorgeous.

GORGEOUS.

you mean that doesnt happen to everybody?

• Advertisement

you mean that doesnt happen to everybody?

No, only me.

Soz. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You can get to the boarding gate for a flight without a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Candie wrote: »

GORGEOUS.

Im sure American Psycho has covered that issue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

maximoose wrote: »
    Silencers making guns silent, with that cool 'pfoot' sound.

Wait? Does that not happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

Horses in Westerns(some times with an 18 stone John Wayne) seem to able to run full gallop for hours, while best horses at a racecourse are knackered after a mile.

Why is a sprinter knackered after a few seconds yet a marathon runner can keep going for hours... There's your answer.

pilly wrote: »
    Not really, for the most part they're suppressors and they reduce noise and muzzle flash but the noise from a gun is the bullet breaking the sound barrier, there isn't a lot that can be done about that other than making the bullet travel slower. They reduce the sound but it's still going to be loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it does not. still quite loud. if a use a silenced .22 with subsonic ammunition then all you hear is the sound of the action moving. but the pffft sound is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Not really, its more of a quieter bang rather than a loud bang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Insane local/regional/international knowledge when driving/walking/running, these guys very very rarely get lost anywhere in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

L shaped sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

Winterlong wrote: »
    L shaped sheets.
    yeppydeppy wrote: »
    The L shaped bed sheet.
    That's the special L shaped sheets they use in Hollywoodland. The woman gets to stay on the long side.

We're going round in circles here people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

jackwigan wrote: »
    We're going round in circles here people!

Ooops! Did not read too far back in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

If you are a well known super hero and dont want to be recognised, you can just take off your cape and put on a simple pair of glasses. You will then be completely indistinguishable to the average person.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 thearc

Movies about war

Lorelli! wrote: »
    If you are a well known super hero and dont want to be recognised, you can just take off your cape and put on a simple pair of glasses. You will then be completely indistinguishable to the average person.

Very similar to the phenomenon wherein a simple mask covering only the eyes and nose renders a superhero completely unrecognisable even to his/her closest friends.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

People sleep all night with their arms around each other!

Never in my entire life, despite having had as many horrible nightmares as the next man or woman, have I found myself sitting bolt upright at 3am, pouring sweat and pawing at the sheets, utterly convinced that I had just shot someone/been shot, fallen off a building/been hit by a car, or eaten by something either prehistoric or not of this world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

davedanon wrote: »
    Never in my entire life, despite having had as many horrible nightmares as the next man or woman, have I found myself sitting bolt upright at 3am, pouring sweat and pawing at the sheets, utterly convinced that I had just shot someone/been shot, fallen off a building/been hit by a car, or eaten by something either prehistoric or not of this world.

if you do any of those things then you might!

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    if you do any of those things then you might!

how do you know I haven't?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

When the bad dude is running after the ditsy girl, she jumps into the car, and guess what, it won't start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement