Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The biggest lies in movies...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Passenger boards a 747, a view of the plane mid cruise tells us it's an MD11, then it lands as a 737

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

In hand to hand combat women are somehow able to withstand damage easily from bigger stronger men while simultaneously dealing out damage to injure said bigger man
    They'll do it in high heels too! You know she's a real bad ass if she has to rip the side of her skirt so she can kick guys in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

That Jason Statham can "act":D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Steve F wrote: »
    If a person knocks another out and takes their uniform, it will always fit perfectly.

Yes..always....

If six baddies want to beat up the hero, they won't all pile in together but instead form an orderly queue to take turns at getting their asses handed to them.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

CramCycle wrote: »
    There was one where he had his heart removed which may have been a sequel to one where he kept having to shoot adrenaline to stay alive. Terrible movie but oddly you could not look away.
    Hah, I remember that one, had to go find out what it was called.

Crank: High Voltage, a sequel to Crank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

dubstarr wrote: »
    That Jason Statham can "act":D:D:D

He's great in Snatch in all fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Candie wrote: »
    If six baddies want to beat up the hero, they won't all pile in together but instead form an orderly queue to take turns at getting their asses handed to them.

you forgot encircling him and only coming at him in pairs at worst and always front and back so that the same move can be used to debilitate both assailants..

That move where the kung fu guy jumps in the air and kicks two people in the head. I'm not convinced that would even hurt all that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

ScumLord wrote: »
    That move where the kung fu guy jumps in the air and kicks two people in the head. I'm not convinced that would even hurt all that much.

Or the fact that one of the henchmen cant dodge such a thing.

I found this thread a couple of days ago and read right through and the amount of shoulder shooting is remarkable

Also the hero can shoot down hench men using a pistol with infinite bullets while the henchmen spray assault rifle bullets everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

A man's penis grows out of his stomach when woman is on top in a sex scene.

Behind a car door is the safest place in the world during a shootout.

Bad guys are crack shots at killing from 600 yards. But when they point a gun at our hero, the sheer pressure of killing the lead actor turns them into a toddler throwing Lego at clouds

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In hand to hand combat women are somehow able to withstand damage easily from bigger stronger men while simultaneously dealing out damage to injure said bigger man
    Waif-Fu
    "Start with the part where Jayne gets knocked out by a 90-pound girl, 'cause... I don't think that's ever getting old."
    — Wash, Serenity

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jmayo wrote: »
    Ehh your forgot
    101 I will not make big long fecking lists that take all day to go through.

100 More things things I'll do if I ever become an Evil Overlord

101 I will not order my trusted lieutenant to kill the infant who is destined to overthrow me — I'll do it myself.

102 I will not waste time making my enemy's death look like an accident — I'm not accountable to anyone and my other enemies wouldn't believe it.

103 I will make it clear that I do know the meaning of the word "mercy"; I simply choose not show them any.

104 My undercover agents will not have tattoos identifying them as members of my organization, nor will they be required to wear military boots or adhere to any other dress codes.

105 I will design all doomsday machines myself. If I must hire a Mad Scientist to assist me, I will make sure that he is sufficiently twisted to never regret his evil ways and seek to undo the damage he's caused. I will also make sure that he does not have an extremely beautiful and extremely impressionable daughter.

106 If my supreme command center comes under attack, I will immediately flee to safety in my prepared escape pod and direct the defenses from there. I will not wait until the troops break into my inner sanctum to attempt this.

107 Even though I don't really care because I plan on living forever, I will hire engineers who are able to build me a fortress sturdy enough that, if I am slain, it won't tumble to the ground for no good structural reason.

108 Any and all magic and/or technology that can miraculously resurrect a secondary character who has given up his/her life through self sacrifice will be outlawed and destroyed.

109 I will see to it that plucky young lads/lasses in strange clothes and with the accent of an outlander shall REGULARLY climb some monument in the main square of my capital and denounce me, claim to know the secret of my power, rally the masses to rebellion, etc. That way, the citizens will be jaded in case the real thing ever comes along.

110 I will not employ devious schemes that involve the hero's party getting into my inner sanctum before the trap is sprung.

111 I will offer oracles the choice of working exclusively for me or being executed.

112 I will not rely entirely upon "totally reliable" spells that can be neutralized by relatively inconspicuous talismans.

113 I will make the main entrance to my fortress standard-sized. While elaborate 60-foot high double-doors definitely impress the masses, they are hard to close quickly in an emergency.

114 I will never accept a challenge from the hero.

115 I will not engage an enemy single-handedly until all my soldiers are dead.

116 If I capture the hero's starship, I will keep it in the landing bay with the ramp down, only a few token guards on duty and a ton of explosives set to go off as soon as it clears the blast-range.

117 No matter how much I want revenge, I will never order an underling "Leave him. He's mine!"

118 If I have equipment which performs an important function, it will not be activated by a lever that someone could trigger by accidentally falling on when fatally wounded.

119 I will not attempt to kill the hero by placing a venomous creature in his room. It will just wind up accidentally killing one of my clumsy henchmen instead.

120 Since nothing is more irritating than a hero defeating you with basic math skills, all of my personal weapons will be modified to fire one more shot than the standard issue.

121 If I come into possession of an artifact which can only be used by the pure of heart, I will not attempt to use it regardless.

122 The gun turrets on my fortress will not rotate enough so that they may direct fire inward or at each other.

123 If I decide to hold a contest of skill open to the general public, contestants will be required to remove their hooded cloaks and shave their beards before entering.

124 Prior to kidnapping an older male scientist and forcing him to work for me, I will investigate his offspring and make sure that he has neither a beautiful but naive daughter who is willing to risk anything to get him back, nor an estranged son who works in the same field but had a falling-out with his father many years ago.

125 Should I actually decide to kill the hero in an elaborate escape-proof deathtrap room (water filling up, sand pouring down, walls converging, etc.) I will not leave him alone five to ten minutes prior to "imminent" death, but will instead (finding a vantage point or monitoring camera) stick around and enjoy watching my adversary's demise.

126 Rather than having only one secret escape pod, which the hero can easily spot and follow, I'll simultaneously launch a few dozen decoys to throw him off track.

127 Prison guards will have their own cantina featuring a wide variety of tasty treats that will deliver snacks to the guards while on duty. The guards will also be informed that accepting food or drink from any other source will result in execution.

128 I will not employ robots as agents of destruction if there is any possible way that they can be re-programmed or if their battery packs are externally mounted and easily removable.

129 Despite the delicious irony, I will not force two heroes to fight each other in the arena.

130 All members of my Legions of Terror will have professionally tailored uniforms. If the hero knocks a soldier unconscious and steals the uniform, the poor fit will give him away.

131 I will never place the key to a cell just out of a prisoner's reach.

132 Before appointing someone as my trusted lieutenant, I will conduct a thorough background investigation and security clearance.

133 If I find my beautiful consort with access to my fortress has been associating with the hero, I'll have her executed. It's regrettable, but new consorts are easier to get than new fortresses and maybe the next one will pay attention at the orientation meeting.

134 If I am escaping in a large truck and the hero is pursuing me in a small Italian sports car, I will not wait for the hero to pull up alongside of me and try to force him off the road as he attempts to climb aboard. Instead I will slam on the brakes when he's directly behind me. (A rudimentary knowledge of physics can prove quite useful.)

135 My doomsday machine will have a highly-advanced technological device called a capacitor in case someone inconveniently pulls the plug at the last second. (If I have access to REALLY advanced technology, I will include a back-up device known as a battery.)

136 If I build a bomb, I will simply remember which wire to cut if it has to be deactivated and make every wire red.

137 Before spending available funds on giant gargoyles, gothic arches, or other cosmetically intimidating pieces of architecture, I will see if there are any valid military expenditures that could use the extra budget.

138 The passageways to and within my domain will be well-lit with fluorescent lighting. Regrettably, the spooky atmosphere will be lost, but my security patrols will be more effective.

139 If I'm sitting in my camp, hear a twig snap, start to investigate, then encounter a small woodland creature, I will send out some scouts anyway just to be on the safe side. (If they disappear into the foliage, I will not send out another patrol; I will break out the napalm.)

140 I will instruct my guards when checking a cell that appears empty to look for the chamber pot. If the chamber pot is still there, then the prisoner has escaped and they may enter and search for clues. If the chamber pot is not there, then either the prisoner is perched above the lintel waiting to strike them with it or else he decided to take it as a souvenir (in which case he is obviously deeply disturbed and poses no threat). Either way, there's no point in entering.

141 As an alternative to not having children, I will have lots of children. My sons will be too busy jockeying for position to ever be a real threat, and the daughters will all sabotage each other's attempts to win the hero.

142 If I have children and subsequently grandchildren, I will keep my three-year-old granddaughter near me at all times. When the hero enters to kill me, I will ask him to first explain to her why it is necessary to kill her beloved grandpa. When the hero launches into an explanation of morality way over her head, that will be her cue to pull the lever and send him into the pit of crocodiles. After all, small children like crocodiles almost as much as Evil Overlords and it's important to spend quality time with the grandkids.

143 If one of my daughters actually manages to win the hero and openly defies me, I will congratulate her on her choice, declare a national holiday to celebrate the wedding, and proclaim the hero my heir. This will probably be enough to break up the relationship. If not, at least I am assured that no hero will attack my Legions of Terror when they are holding a parade in his honor.

144 I will order my guards to stand in a line when they shoot at the hero so he cannot duck and have them accidentally shoot each other. Also, I will order some to aim above, below, and to the sides so he cannot jump out of the way.

145 My dungeon cell decor will not feature exposed pipes. While they add to the gloomy atmosphere, they are good conductors of vibrations and a lot of prisoners know Morse code.

146 If my surveillance reports any un-manned or seemingly innocent ships found where they are not supposed to be, they will be immediately vaporized instead of brought in for salvage.

147 I will classify my lieutenants in three categories: untrusted, trusted, and completely trusted. Promotion to the third category will be awarded posthumously.

148 Before ridiculing my enemies for wasting time on a device to stop me that couldn't possibly work, I will first acquire a copy of the schematics and make sure that in fact it couldn't possibly work.

149 Ropes supporting various fixtures will not be tied next to open windows or staircases, and chandeliers will be hung way at the top of the ceiling.

150 I will provide funding and research to develop tactical and strategic weapons covering a full range of needs so my choices are not limited to "hand to hand combat with swords" and "blow up the planet".

151 I will not set myself up as a god. That perilous position is reserved for my trusted lieutenant.

152 I will instruct my fashion designer that when it comes to accessorizing, second-chance body armor goes well with every outfit.

153 My Legions of Terror will be an equal-opportunity employer. Conversely, when it is prophesied that no man can defeat me, I will keep in mind the increasing number of non-traditional gender roles.

154 I will instruct my Legions of Terror in proper search techniques. In particular, if they are searching for escapees and someone shouts, "Quick! They went that way!", they must first ascertain the identity of this helpful informant before dashing off in hot pursuit.

155 If I know of any heroes in the land, I will not under any circumstance kill their mentors, teachers, and/or best friends.

156 If I have the hero and his party trapped, I will not wait until my Superweapon charges to finish them off if more conventional means are available.

157 Whenever plans are drawn up that include a time-table, I'll post-date the completion 3 days after it's actually scheduled to occur and not worry too much if they get stolen.

158 I will exchange the labels on my folder of top-secret plans and my folder of family recipes. Imagine the hero's surprise when he decodes the stolen plans and finds instructions for Grandma's Potato Salad.

159 If I burst into rebel headquarters and find it deserted except for an odd, blinking device, I will not walk up and investigate; I'll run like hell.

160 Before being accepted into my Legions of Terror, potential recruits will have to pass peripheral vision and hearing tests, and be able to recognize the sound of a pebble thrown to distract them.

161 I will occasionally vary my daily routine and not live my life in a rut. For example, I will not always take a swig of wine or ring a giant gong before finishing off my enemy.

162 If I steal something very important to the hero, I will not put it on public display.

163 When planning an expedition, I will choose a route for my forces that does not go through thick, leafy terrain conveniently located near the rebel camp.

164 I will hire one hopelessly stupid and incompetent lieutenant, but make sure that he is full of misinformation when I send him to capture the hero.

165 As an equal-opportunity employer, I will have several hearing-impaired body-guards. That way if I wish to speak confidentially with someone, I'll just turn my back so the guards can't read my lips instead of sending all of them out of the room.

166 If the rebels manage to trick me, I will make a note of what they did so that I do not keep falling for the same trick over and over again.

167 If I am recruiting to find someone to run my computer systems, and my choice is between the brilliant programmer who's head of the world's largest international technology conglomerate and an obnoxious 15-year-old dork who's trying to impress his dream girl, I'll take the brat and let the hero get stuck with the genius.

168 I will plan in advance what to do with each of my enemies if they are captured. That way, I will never have to order someone to be tied up while I decide his fate.

169 If I have massive computer systems, I will take at least as many precautions as a small business and include things such as virus-scans and firewalls.

170 I will be an equal-opportunity despot and make sure that terror and oppression is distributed fairly, not just against one particular group that will form the core of a rebellion.

171 I will not locate a base in a volcano, cave, or any other location where it would be ridiculously easy to bypass security by rapelling down from above.

172 I will allow guards to operate under a flexible work schedule. That way if one is feeling sleepy, he can call for a replacement, punch out, take a nap, and come back refreshed and alert to finish out his shift.

173 Although it would provide amusement, I will not confess to the hero's rival that I was the one who committed the heinous act for which he blames the hero.

174 If I am dangling over a precipice and the hero reaches his hand down to me, I will not attempt to pull him down with me. I will allow him to rescue me, thank him properly, then return to the safety of my fortress and order his execution.

175 I will have my fortress exorcised regularly. Although ghosts in the dungeon provide an appropriate atmosphere, they tend to provide valuable information once placated.

176 I will add indelible dye to the moat. It won't stop anyone from swimming across, but even dim-witted guards should be able to figure out when someone has entered in this fashion.

177 If a scientist with a beautiful and unmarried daughter refuses to work for me, I will not hold her hostage. Instead, I will offer to pay for her future wedding and her children's college tuition.

178 If I have the hero cornered and am about to finish him off and he says "Look out behind you!!" I will not laugh and say "You don't expect me to fall for that old trick, do you?" Instead I will take a step to the side and half turn. That way I can still keep my weapon trained on the hero, I can scan the area behind me, and if anything was heading for me it will now be heading for him.

179 I will not outsource core functions.

180 If I ever build a device to transfer the hero's energy into me, I will make sure it cannot operate in reverse.

181 I will decree that all hay be shipped in tightly-packed bales. Any wagonload of loose hay attempting to pass through a checkpoint will be set on fire.

182 I will not hold any sort of public celebration within my castle walls. Any event open to members of the public will be held down the road in the festival pavilion.

183 Before using any device which transfers energy directly into my body, I will install a surge suppressor.

184 I will hire a drama coach. The hero will think it must be a case of mistaken identity when confronted by my Minnesota accent (if everyone sounds American) or my Cornwall accent (if everyone sounds British).

185 If I capture an enemy known for escaping via ingenious and fantastic little gadgets, I will order a full cavity search and confiscate all personal items before throwing him in my dungeon.

186 I will not devise any scheme in which Part A consists of tricking the hero into unwittingly helping me and Part B consists of laughing at him then leaving him to his own devices.

187 I will not hold lavish banquets in the middle of a famine. The good PR among the guests doesn't make up for the bad PR among the masses.

188 I will funnel some of my ill-gotten gains into urban renewal projects. Although slums add a quaint and picturesque quality to any city, they too often contain unexpected allies for heroes.

189 I will never tell the hero "Yes I was the one who did it, but you'll never be able to prove it to that incompetent old fool." Chances are, that incompetent old fool is standing behind the curtain.

190 If my mad scientist/wizard tells me he has almost perfected my Superweapon but it still needs more testing, I will wait for him to complete the tests. No one ever conquered the world using a beta version.

191 I will not appoint a relative to my staff of advisors. Not only is nepotism the cause of most breakdowns in policy, but it also causes trouble with the EEOC.

192 If I appoint someone as my consort, I will not subsequently inform her that she is being replaced by a younger, more attractive woman.

193 If I am using the hero's girlfriend as a hostage and am holding her at the point of imminent death when confronting the hero, I will focus on her and not him. He won't try anything with his true love held hostage. On the other hand, the fact that she has been weak, slow-witted, naive and generally useless up to this point has no bearing on her actions at the moment of dramatic climax.

194 I will make several ludicrously erroneous maps to secret passages in my fortress and hire travellers to entrust them to aged hermits.

195 I will not use hostages as bait in a trap. Unless you're going to use them for negotiation or as human shields, there's no point in taking them.

196 I will hire an expert marksman to stand by the entrance to my fortress. His job will be to shoot anyone who rides up to challenge me.

197 I will explain to my Legions of Terror that guns are ranged weapons and swords are not. Anyone who attempts to throw a sword at the hero or club him with a gun will be summarily executed.

198 I will remember that any vulnerabilities I have are to be revealed strictly on a need-to-know basis. I will also remember that no one needs to know.

199 I will not make alliances with those more powerful than myself. Such a person would only double-cross me in my moment of glory. I will make alliances with those less powerful than myself. I will then double-cross them in their moment of glory.

200 During times of peace, my Legions of Terror will not be permitted to lie around drinking mead and eating roast boar. Instead they will be required to obey my dietician and my aerobics instructor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Behind a car door is the safest place in the world during a shootout.
    According to US military and such, a lot of terrorist, organised crime, etc organisations on a lower level seem to take some degree of their training off of action movies... and actually not-too-rarely try to adopt this method in gunfights! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Dude, you have way too much time on your hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Thoie wrote: »
    The idea of padding something to 1.45MB was so that it wouldn't fit in 1.44MB.
    I'm nearly sure I was able to format some floppy disks to 1.5 or 1.6 MB capacity. Could be a bad memory though!

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure I was able to format some floppy disks to 1.5 or 1.6 MB capacity. Could be a bad memory though!
    If you wrote a bit of code to directly drive the hardware you could format the disk to any size you wanted (or try any way).
    20 years ago I needed to create a disk with a hidden sector on it, so needed to write a "C" code driver to format the disk that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

When a character bumps into a complete stranger, files are spilled, they faff around picking up the files and then their eyes meet and you know in another 40 minutes of film time they will be banging the arses off each other

I bumped into a woman at work, spilled her files, bent down to help her pick them up, I was waiting for that special moment to catch her eye with a gentle smile.....she called me a clumsy idiot and told me to f*ck off

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Billy86 wrote: »
    According to US military and such, a lot of terrorist, organised crime, etc organisations on a lower level seem to take some degree of their training off of action movies... and actually not-too-rarely try to adopt this method in gunfights! :pac:

To be fair most training would tell you in the absence of other cover, use the engine block (you see them come around and duck behind this, or the door. Some police cars do have armour in the panelling (although far from all). It certainly would reduce the power from a bullet, so that the Kevlar vest would nbe more effective, far better than just sitting there in the open to be a specific target with less protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Everyone climaxes simultaneously when doing the sex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

davedanon wrote: »

#665 Successfully attempt a coup d'état while that fella is busy writing another list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

quite clearly and copy & paste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

If you discover wallpaper peeling it will tear off so easily and a cryptic message/secret will be revealed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Nah just discovered how cut and paste works ;)

Disk space <> memory.

Lets not mention paging files and go down that burrow.
    When a character bumps into a complete stranger, files are spilled, they faff around picking up the files and then their eyes meet and you know in another 40 minutes of film time they will be banging the arses off each other

I bumped into a woman at work, spilled her files, bent down to help her pick them up, I was waiting for that special moment to catch her eye with a gentle smile.....she called me a clumsy idiot and told me to f*ck off

Only works in America.

Irish women are immune.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

jmayo wrote: »
    Nah just discovered how cut and paste works ;)

Disk space <> memory.

Lets not mention paging files and go down that burrow.

Only works in America.

Irish women are immune.

I don't think he meant his own disc space :pac:

I can't remember the film name but there's a scene in it if a guy using computer hackery for impossible stuff, but he does it by typing a mile a minute on two laptops simultaneously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't think he meant his own disc space :pac:

I can't remember the film name but there's a scene in it if a guy using computer hackery for impossible stuff, but he does it by typing a mile a minute on two laptops simultaneously

Hugh Jackman in Swordfish?

Hugh Jackman in Swordfish?

I thought it was Justin Long but I can't see any of his movies where he'd have an excuse to do this.

That Hugh Jackman scene is ridiculous :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I thought it was Justin Long but I can't see any of his movies where he'd have an excuse to do this.

if you are referring to the scene where he is first introduced to John Travolta then it certainly is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Die Hard 4.0. Kevin Smith does the same in the film. One handed at times because he's such a good hacker. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Die Hard 4.0?

Die Hard 4 makes sense alright, he hacks a full mobile network in about 20 seconds on his phone too iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Elliott Carver in Tomorrow Never Dies (james bond) typing Bonds obituary single handed. Five fingers dancingat a ridiculous speed on a small handheld laptop/keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I think it was NCIS that topped the lot with two people using the one keyboard typing at light speed to fend of the nasty hackers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

Sweet jebus!

1.68MB was a common enough format, Microsoft used it for windows and office disks, used more sectors

1.72MB IIRC was used by IBM OS/2 "Half an operating system" :p more sectors and extra tracks

and yes there was a TSR that could give you 2MB by using extra tracks and variable numbers of sectors per track , the only problem was that without the TSR you couldn't read the disk.

And then came the Iomega zip disk with 100MB or so. But it had a click of death ... that was contagious

/Off Topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

If the door bell rings while someone is shaving, they can remove all shaving foam with a cursory wipe of a towel.
    No matter how far through the process they were, they will either be bestubbled or cleanly shaven, never half done.

In spite of having the ability, intelligence and motivation to build interstellar space ships, aliens are stupid and the USA will defeat them.

There are an infinite number of gears in a car when required to go faster

A gun cannot be cocked enough times.

Most really stupid people are from the deep south in america.

If you're British, you're a criminal mastermind.

If confronted with several different options of a direction the perp took, gut instinct will always triumph.

When in mortal danger, there's nothing a bad guy loves more than heading towards the top of a building from which there is no escape

Children, wives, etc were always killed by a drunk driver

Navy seals can spend periods of time underwater that a whale would struggle with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

If there's a chase scene on foot, it is always set in a bustling urban environment - whether it's Noo Yawk or some middle-eastern bazaar, there are any number of options for the fleeing to choose: a multiplicity of alleyways and crowded market aisles, always teeming with people. At first the pursuer has 'eyes' on the pursued, but inevitably there comes a point where he has disappeared from view, and the pursuer must pause at a junction, faced by 2 or possibly more different options. BUT HE ALWAYS GOES THE RIGHT WAY. Even if he still doesn't spot his quarry, all he needs to do is stop running when he comes to some sort of physical structure - a building, shed or hangar, and draw his weapon. the camera will immediately cut to the pursued, hiding behind a wall about 20ft away, instead half a mile away, running like hell in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

How come, in American movies in particular, when a friend has been kicked out of their own home, they are out up on the couch. I mean, there is never a spare room. The house owner is often wealthy with a huge house, and we are to believe it only has 1 bedroom (being used by the owners we presume).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

whats with the torchs the cop use there would be more light from a match. surely they would have torchs that would floodlight the room leaving no corner or alcove for the bad guy to hide in until the good guy lowers his guard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

If someone needs a huge sum of money it's pretty easily got.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The dukes of hazard destroyed well over a hundred Dodge Chargers :mad:

I hate them for that. And its a terrible show.
    When you think back, Dukes, McGyver, A Team, Airwolf, Knight Rider, all these shows were so utterly terrible and complete drivel, just like your favourite sweets from the 70's. If you had them now, you'd choke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Why does someone always trip over when a killer is chasing them?
    And why do they stall killing the killer. They do have a gun pointed at them and they never pull the trigger. They either talk or end up having the gun taken off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

silverharp wrote: »
    every film where the main characters just park at the front door of every type of building in big cities where it would be impossible in real life and never clamped when they come out unless its Die Hard 2 and you are supposed to believe the local cops are the bad guys ;-)

Just once you'd want them to be stood at the Pay & Display machine, patting down their pockets, looking under the car seat for loose coins or nipping over to the corner shop to buy a mars bar, just to get the right change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Note to film makers: (specifically F&F umpteen)

Any car chase scene shall be judged against Steve McQueen's chase scene in Bullitt and you shall be found seriously wanting, your efforts will be found to be lazy, repetitive, yawn inducing tripe leaving the viewer more on the verges of tedious boredom than on the edge of their seats. For the sanity of everyone involved, just stop now, don't bother.

Any car chase scene shall be judged against Steve McQueen's chase scene in Bullitt and you shall be found seriously wanting, your efforts will be found to be lazy, repetitive, yawn inducing tripe leaving the viewer more on the verges of tedious boredom than on the edge of their seats. For the sanity of everyone involved, just stop now, don't bother.
    large SUV truck chasing sports car shouldn't be a car chase at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

silverharp wrote: »
    every film where the main characters just park at the front door of every type of building in big cities where it would be impossible in real life and never clamped when they come out unless its Die Hard 2 and you are supposed to believe the local cops are the bad guys ;-)

that's called Doris Day parking because she did it a lot in her films

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

How are men supposed to know that tampons look like? do they go looking in their wives drawers or something?
    I originally thought a tampon was a small tube that you stuck up your vagina and it sucked up the blood but recently I realised they were a cotton thing, I had stumbled upon some strange period fetish porn.

ScumLord wrote: »
    large SUV truck chasing sports car shouldn't be a car chase at all.
    Car arriving at an airport just as a jet aircraft turns on to runway, car then gets to the runway and catches up with it.

Skip to 6:20 to see them race a mile away and back.

They could have done the same demo with the same result with an English Electric Lightening nearly 60 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Any car chase scene shall be judged against Steve McQueen's chase scene in Bullitt

Will it by f**k? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

This tops it IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement