Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The biggest lies in movies...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

All Irish people in American films/shows are called something like 'Seamus Muldoon', 'James McReilly', or 'Fintan Mulqueen'.

Always awkward names regular Irish don't have. You won't find many called John Murphy or David Dunne or whatever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

KungPao wrote: »
    All Irish people in American films/shows are called something like 'Seamus Muldoon', 'James McReilly', or 'Fintan Mulqueen'.

Always awkward names regular Irish don't have. You won't find many called John Murphy or David Dunne or whatever.

I wouldn't say that, Brad Pitt played a character called Frank McGuire in the Devils Own though it should really have been Maguire.

The Australians did a good representation of an Irishman in Neighbours, Connor O'Neill, drinking most episodes and he got in trouble for breaking his Visa rules, the only bad bit of writing in it was when they made him illiterate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

The Australians did a good representation of an Irishman in Neighbours, Connor O'Neill, drinking most episodes and he got in trouble for breaking his Visa rules, the only bad bit of writing in it was when they made him illiterate.
    When he was in a plane crash he started saying his prayers in Irish as the plane was going down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

When he was in a plane crash he started saying his prayers in Irish as the plane was going down.

Yes and he moved in with Harold after it and joined the Salvation Army

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    - Thunder AND lightening strike at the same time.
    - That bloody bleepy blop sound that computers constantly make.
    - Shopping always consists of a bread roll sticking out of a bag.
    - Cars are never dirty, always spotless. (Watching homeland on netflicks here and its the same deal).

In many countries (not Ireland) the general standard of cleanliness of cars is actually quite high. You might be surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

KKkitty wrote: »
    If someone needs a huge sum of money it's pretty easily got.

However, if you find a large suitcase of money and decide to keep it, bad things will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Blues Brothers will always be the king of chase scenes.

blackbox wrote: »
    In many countries (not Ireland) the general standard of cleanliness of cars is actually quite high. You might be surprised!
    Depends on the local climate, you try to keep a car clean in the dirty winter driving conditions we have here and most of northern Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

twill wrote: »
    However, if you find a large suitcase of money and decide to keep it, bad things will happen.

In fairness, this rule applies in real life as well.

#️⃣wordtothewise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

bad guy cuts the good guy or his love interest so that he she will bleed to death in a few minutes.
    they escape / go after the bad guy .
    hour later , loads of running around , and ro sign of blood or death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

American truck drivers never pay attention to the road in front of them and rarely ever bother breaking if someone steps out in front of them. Some of them don't even stop after they've run someone over, they just carry on as if nothing happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

No-one ever counts out change to pay for things or queries the cost of groceries, meals etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I was watching the latest Jason Bourne movie the other night and one of the characters asked to bring up a photo (or a still CCTV shot) and I was thinking "please don't say it, PLEASE DON'T SAY IT!" and then she said it: "close up, enhance" - aragh fúck it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Probably already been mentioned but cars exploding on impact with just about anything :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Heroes are experts on everything and don't need to Google anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Computers never run on windows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

In any combat movie - that asians are the best Martial Artists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

callaway92 wrote: »
    In any combat movie - that asians are the best Martial Artists

yet our white hero (Matt Damon/Tom Cruise), after a matter of days/weeks training, is suddenly up to the same fighting level as the main bad guy boss who gives him a decent fight (but still loses), while all his minions with their years and years of martial arts training are easily brushed aside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was going to say the opposite, Windows running systems that are part of some of the most top secret BS program. Not running windows is probably a realistic thing in many of these cases.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

one reason was that in the past windows computers crashed too often to be relied upon to get the scenes done.

Oddly enough the 3D interface used in Jurassic Park was a real one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Lie - You can fire an assault rifle such as an AK47 from the hip fully auto.

Bollox you can. I've been to the firing ranges, this is impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

whats with the torchs the cop use there would be more light from a match. surely they would have torchs that would floodlight the room leaving no corner or alcove for the bad guy to hide in until the good guy lowers his guard

Add to that, most of the time light switches are never looked for either!

Or have a working mouse :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

CruelCoin wrote: »

Blaine and the M134 minigun in Predator took that to a whole new level.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/21/
    Is it possible to build a jetpack using downward firing machine guns?

I was sort of surprised to find that the answer was yes!

The Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-6-30 weighs half as much as the GAU-8 and has an even higher fire rate. Its thrust-to-weight ratio approaches 40, which means if you pointed one at the ground and fired, not only would it take off in a rapidly expanding spray of deadly metal fragments, but you would experience 40 gees of acceleration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

40 gees you say?

Interesting scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

When someone is banging on a door and the hero is inside unconscious / asleep, they stop knocking when the hero wakes. How did they know?

When they turn off the lights in the bedroom and it gets brighter (but weirdly, bluer).

When camping, the fire will have huge logs burning fiercely, without any smaller sticks / kindling underneath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I was watching the latest Jason Bourne movie the other night and one of the characters asked to bring up a photo (or a still CCTV shot) and I was thinking "please don't say it, PLEASE DON'T SAY IT!" and then she said it: "close up, enhance" - aragh fúck it!

I had the exact same thought watching that scene. I was so disappointed. I thought a Bourne film would be better than that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Note to film makers: (specifically F&F umpteen)

Any car chase scene shall be judged against Steve McQueen's chase scene in Bullitt and you shall be found seriously wanting, your efforts will be found to be lazy, repetitive, yawn inducing tripe leaving the viewer more on the verges of tedious boredom than on the edge of their seats. For the sanity of everyone involved, just stop now, don't bother.

You do know a lot of that scene was the same stuff repeated and flipped throughout?

I've only fired an AK47 once, but from what I remember of it there wasn't a whole lot of kick back at all. It felt like it had no recoil and I'd say you could quite easily fire it from the hip.

I can't remember if I fired a pump action shotgun before or after, that might have skewed my experience, but that was the stand out memory of the AK47, it barely kicked at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Note to film makers: (specifically F&F umpteen)

Any car chase scene shall be judged against Steve McQueen's chase scene in Bullitt and you shall be found seriously wanting, your efforts will be found to be lazy, repetitive, yawn inducing tripe leaving the viewer more on the verges of tedious boredom than on the edge of their seats. For the sanity of everyone involved, just stop now, don't bother.

Ronin car chase was miles better :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

They were seriously cool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've only fired an AK47 once, but from what I remember of it there wasn't a whole lot of kick back at all. It felt like it had no recoil and I'd say you could quite easily fire it from the hip.

I can't remember if I fired a pump action shotgun before or after, that might have skewed my experience, but that was the stand out memory of the AK47, it barely kicked at all.
    I've shot an AK myself and it had some recoil alright, especially in fully auto mode(it felt more of a jumping up in the air "kick" to me), but if pushed you could fire one from the hip easily enough and I'm not particularly strong. From what I recall the AR16 would be easier again to fire from the hip(I was surprised how slight the recoil was from that TBH). In fairness firing from the hip would be about as accurate as a Fox News report, but still...

Here's a lad firing an M60 from the hip. Granted it is a much heavier weapon which makes a difference.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've shot an AK myself and it had some recoil alright, especially in fully auto mode(it felt more of a jumping up in the air "kick" to me),
    I was firing it on semi. It was in an underground bunker so probably not safe to fire in full auto. I was leaning into it expecting this big kick back but it just didn't happen. It had recoil but nowhere near what I was expecting. I was really surprised how easy it was to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

There are loads of videos on YouTube of people hip firing AK47s full auto.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There are loads of videos on YouTube of people hip firing AK47s full auto.

I think that is one of the reasons they are the chosen weapon of non-military. You can give it to anyone and it's pretty much point and shoot without much training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I think you'll find the car chase in Raid 2 to be the new standard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orNKptscG0A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

The character is drinking something, when they hear surprising/shocking news they spit it all out in a big massive spray. No one has every really done that, come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Porkpie wrote: »
    The character is drinking something, when they hear surprising/shocking news they spit it all out in a big massive spray. No one has every really done that, come on.

I don't know - I was told a joke while my friend was taking a sip of his drink and he did actually spit it out across the table (he then dry heaved for a few minutes, but the films don't show you that part)

ScumLord wrote: »

Huh.

I was in the Soviet Motherland on a range there and the shotguns to me felt like they had less recoil than the Ak...

Dunno. I'm going to blame it on bootleg ammo!

Lie - Supercars have a hard time accelerating away from jeeps and vans.

Lie 2 - Cars have infinite gears. You practically never see a downshift.

Lie 3 - Pretty much everything in "Bridget Jones' Diary"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Lie 2 - Cars have infinite gears. You practically never see a downshift.
    Again, this is why Ronin is so awesome. Normal gear changes! Whereas in the likes of Fast and Furious they upshift through gears like it's a HGV.

• Advertisement

Huh.

I was in the Soviet Motherland on a range there and the shotguns to me felt like they had less recoil than the Ak...

Dunno. I'm going to blame it on bootleg ammo!
    I've shot double barrel shotguns in Ireland on a proper day out with clay shooting and they didn't have as much kick as the pump action I shot over in... I think it was latvia. I think the pump action was using a slug rather than normal buckshot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

In films:

Cops sit down in cafe and order a big **** off breakfast and coffee's etc.
    As soon as it arrives they get a call for some damsel in distress...
    They leave the whole lot there and run off without paying.

In real life.
    Cops eat the whole lot with extra coffee and dessert and expense it...the take their time heading off to the call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Female scientists are always models. They just have their hair tied up and wear glasses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cienciano wrote: »
    Female scientists are always models. They just have their hair tied up and wear glasses.

To be fair, in a lab your hair should be tied up or tucked up in your lab coat. Unfortunately in real life, scientist give zero f*cks about H&S and look like everyoen else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

Opening scene of the surf club in "Home and Away" They always show someone potting the black in pool - but it was hanging on the pocket to begin with.
    I don't think the full game really happened, lies all of it...

(I used to watch it years ago probably isn't a surf club anymore)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Everybody gets knocked out stone cold with one punch like they have Conor McGregor's skills and he is connecting with a perfect shot.

People on minimum wage jobs in NYC who are struggling to get by in life, happen to live in giant apartments smack bang in the middle of Manhattan, which would be worth millions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Hazys wrote: »
    Everybody gets knocked out stone cold with one punch like they have Conor McGregor's skills and he is connecting with a perfect shot.

People on minimum wage jobs in NYC live in giant apartments smack bang in the middle of Manhattan, which would be worth millions.

And own the bar, restaurant underneath it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Hazys wrote: »
    The person that gets knocked out is down for minutes or hours and doesn't have permament brain damage afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The biggest lies in movies...

Braveheart's full of them apparently ...

The Scots didn’t paint their faces for battle.
    The Battle of Stirling 'without a bridge' :confused:
    Battle of Falkirk was actually won by Welsh archers (not English) ....
    Brave Heart” actually refers to Robert the Bruce & not William Wallace!

The full list >>> https://thehande.wordpress.com/2011/12/05/braveheart-the-10-historical-inaccuracies-you-need-to-know-before-watching-the-movie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

LordSutch wrote: »
    Braveheart's full of them apparently ...

The Scots didn’t paint their faces for battle.
    The Battle of Stirling 'without a bridge' :confused:
    Battle of Falkirk won by English Welsh archers....
    Brave Heart” actually refers to Robert the Bruce & not William Wallace!

The full list >>> https://thehande.wordpress.com/2011/12/05/braveheart-the-10-historical-inaccuracies-you-need-to-know-before-watching-the-movie/

I find that most historical films are riddled with inaccuracies.

Sometimes a bit of creative licence is needed to enhance the script.

Advertisement