Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The biggest lies in movies...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Any science or IT problem can be solved by typing very quickly in a montage of scenes that usually include a clock in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

When a vehicle leaves the end of an unfinished bridge, it will go upwards and sail through the air...landing just fine on the other side - rather than, you know, just going downwards and smashing into the other side of the bridge/falling straight down, and everyone on board being toast.

Nodin wrote: »
    Any science or IT problem can be solved by typing very quickly in a montage of scenes that usually include a clock in the background.
    And the IT wizard wiping sweat from his brow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Nodin wrote: »

Similarly, studying for a big exam or getting in shape can be achieved with ease through a fun 15 second montage with motivational music in the background.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

Is it normal to have a shower after having sex?

Is it not?!
    U have sex, then without washing yourself and your b*ll*x put clothes on and go to work?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

How in the Fast and Furious series all their cars seem to have a 37 speed gearbox!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

Absent any gravitational reference, space ships always encounter each other the same way up.
    Also - noises / explosions in space.
    Computer monitors reflecting off the person's face.
    Nobody ever unlocks a car

All detectives drive $100,000 sports cars.

In the '80s, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

How in the Fast and Furious series all their cars seem to have a 37 speed gearbox!

Plus nitrous..and tyres no normal mortal could even aspire to..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

CramCycle wrote: »
    PCRs of DNA samples from crime scenes take a few minutes and require no prep of the sample. They always work first time as well.

No statistical analysis either, it's always one definitive answer no matter what the test.

https://xkcd.com/683/

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

In old black and white movies, no matter how straight the road is the driver will jiggle the steering wheel from side to side like he's trying to make himself seasick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

S.R. wrote: »
    Is it not?!
    U have sex, then without washing yourself and your b*ll*x put clothes on and go to work?!

Well I don't know about going to work, but no, I never washed myself or my bollix after sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭thickhead

During sex scenes the man is able to get his cock into the womans fanny without any guidance what so ever. He doesn't even have to look down. Condoms are never used.

During sex scenes the man is able to get his cock into the womans fanny without any guidance what so ever. He doesn't even have to look down. Condoms are never used.

Why who needs guidance ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

thickhead wrote: »
    Why who needs guidance ?

Well if you can manage to get it in while in a dark room without even touching it or looking down then fair fooks to ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

KungPao wrote: »
    When a vehicle leaves the end of an unfinished bridge, it will go upwards and sail through the air...landing just fine on the other side - rather than, you know, just going downwards and smashing into the other side of the bridge/falling straight down, and everyone on board being toast.

And slam down, suspension maxxed out, but then carry on no bother.....I tried it once, the shocks came out through the bonnet and it ground to a halt..entirely banjaxed, and it was only a hump-back bridge....

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭thickhead

Well if you can manage to get it in while in a dark room without even touching it or looking down then fair fooks to ya.

I do it with the lights on though ? I look down fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Bad guys decide to murder people while in a massage parlour or on a gold course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

No one EVER says goodbye on the phone, they just hang-up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

The most dangerous place in the world is the death zone in a three meter circumference around james bond. For while everyone who comes into conflict with him is a poor enough shot to never hit him, they are a good enough shot to not miss by more than three meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

When it's supposed to be dark, the room is bathed in a blue glow.

Iv'e seen this so many times I came up with a name for it. "Daynight" where they film during the day but put a blue filter over the image to give the illusion of night-time. It's usually given away by the ridiculously distinctive shadows off everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

The most dangerous place in the world is the death zone in a three meter circumference around james bond. For while everyone who comes into conflict with him is a poor enough shot to never hit him, they are a good enough shot to not miss by more than three meters.

That is complete and utter bollocks. I'm stand right next to James Bond right now and I'm perfectly fi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Romance. 99% of the romantic stuff in films that girls coo and aww at would be nothing short of downright creepy if done in real life

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Anyone seen the GI Joe movie, where the lair under the iceberg is crushed by the ice falling downwards. In water. Ice.

[nerd]I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder[/nerd]

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Romance. 99% of the romantic stuff in films that girls coo and aww at would be nothing short of downright creepy if done in real life

If Star Wars has taught us anything, however, it's that when your girlfriend says "I love you" and you say "I know", that's the slickest move ever and you're guaranteed not to get in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

And slam down, suspension maxxed out, but then carry on no bother.....I tried it once, the shocks came out through the bonnet and it ground to a halt..entirely banjaxed, and it was only a hump-back bridge....

The dukes of hazard destroyed well over a hundred Dodge Chargers :mad:

Candie wrote: »
    In old black and white movies, no matter how straight the road is the driver will jiggle the steering wheel from side to side like he's trying to make himself seasick.

Actually, cars from that era had some of the worst steering systems ever. It's only very marginally over stated in a TV show but I had the pleasure of driving an old Chevrolet Bel Air and the actual amount you had to turn the wheel before the car responded was obscene :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Bad guys decide to murder people while in a massage parlour or on a gold course.
    Ah in fairness, in lower budget films it's sometimes a silver or bronze course.

Actually, cars from that era had some of the worst steering systems ever. It's only very marginally over stated in a TV show but I had the pleasure of driving an old Chevrolet Bel Air and the actual amount you had to turn the wheel before the car responded was obscene :D

Even on a straight road? That's interesting. I'm glad things have changed for the better.

Even on a straight road? That's interesting. I'm glad things have changed for the better.

Yup, if the road sloped to the left, you'd very noticeably have to steer right to keep it straight. It sounds scary, but youd actually pick it up quickly enough. Back then ther weren't any rack and pinion steering racks, it was all worm and sector steering boxes. Very, very strong but my god about as pin point as a mallet.

• Advertisement

Yup, if the road sloped to the left, you'd very noticeably have to steer right to keep it straight. It sounds scary, but youd actually pick it up quickly enough. Back then ther weren't any rack and pinion steering racks, it was all worm and sector steering boxes. Very, very strong but my god about as pin point as a mallet.

I'd imagine you'd develop quite the biceps if you had that kind of heavy steering as a matter of course. Lorry drivers must have had quite well developed arm muscles pre power steering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

When a couple have sex the woman takes everything off but leaves her bra on. How weird is that!?

Both people always come at the same time too, as if that's totally normal.

And you can easily rip a shirt open in the heat of the moment without popping any of the buttons off.

I'd imagine you'd develop quite the biceps if you had that kind of heavy steering as a matter of course. Lorry drivers must have had quite well developed arm muscles pre power steering.

Pretty much legs with fingers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Shot at car. Blows up!

Really fine ladies having an interest in Shia LeBeouf in the Transformers movies ( or any movie ), I mean COME ON!

This made me laugh really hard :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Whispered conversations in nightclubs

any conversation in nigthclubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

When men and women sleep in the same bed the bloke has the covers actually covering him and has half the bed to himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    When a couple have sex the woman takes everything off but leaves her bra on. How weird is that!?

Both people always come at the same time too, as if that's totally normal.

And you can easily rip a shirt open in the heat of the moment without popping any of the buttons off.

And immediately after having sex women will become incredibly modest and have to cover everything but their shoulders with the duvet if they need to sit up for any reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    I think it's because of the actresses stipulating that they won't show their boobies, the no-nudity clause or some such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

allybhoy wrote: »
    Or when somebody is "hacking" into somewhere there is a lovely fancy interface with a big Enter Password dialogue box. Simply type in the easy to guess password and boom your logged on to a lovely menu where you can disable a nuclear missile from the click of a button.

It wasnt a nuclear missile, but I have guessed a password (an easy to guess one too) for a major service provier, in a web based GUI.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

Where the good guys spend the entire movie looking for the main bad guy who nobody has ever seen yet they have his full name, background info and a 'bigfoot style' blurry picture of him.

They spend a ridiculous amount of effort to finally catch the bad guy and 30 seconds after they have him in handcuffs, they get a call from someone in the police lab who tells them they caught the wrong guy.

Then it turns out the real bad guy was in police station for questioning until 1 minute ago and a cop does an action run through the station and onto the street looking in all directions for the guy who is nowhere to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

TV tropes is full of these

No, Mr. Bond, I Expect You to Dine

That site makes evenings disappear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

New York

Biggest lie in all films. Full of cool people and super heros yet continually being destroyed by terrorists / mutants / creatures / nukes / whateveryourhavingyourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Merrion wrote: »
    Absent any gravitational reference, space ships always encounter each other the same way up.

[nerd moment]
    not a film but the last episode of ST TNG has a great scene with Ent coming in vertically against a couple of Klingon ships.
    [/nerdmoment]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Dead eye sniper hits everything the whole film long, but when it comes to our hero, he's 2-3 feet out, every shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

The entire logistics in Leap Year (2010), and the accents, but still somehow enjoyable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Pistol Whipping

LOST was unbearable for this, someone was getting hit in the face/head with a gun roughly every episode, not one cracked cranium, paralysis case or accidental death, just a nice little nap where you can be woken up with a splash of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Dunno why, but these sort of threads are my faves.

Cause you agree with every post :D
    It's boards utopia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

Cause you agree with every post
    It's boards utopia.

It's the way it outta be. I love you guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

jaja321 wrote: »
    Below average to waaay below average looking guys paired with much better looking women.

Never happens in real life! However, if some women want to prove me wrong.....I'm single and "waaay below average looking" :D

I'm waiting........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

They can dodge a bullet but they can't dodge a punch. Or when a guy is walking faster than a guy who is running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Computer passwords are always simple things like a persons name. They're never something like "qhgvb&$hggg56!s".

Teenagers are computer geniuses, especially teenage girls in goth clothing.

If a childs feelings are hurt in school they can just run out of class without the teacher doing anything other than halfheartedly calling them back.

Anyone who is on the run can disguise themselves by going into a public toilet and cutting and dying their own hair. The haircut always works out perfectly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement