Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debit Guarantee/Indemnity Claim

Options
  • 26-03-2015 6:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi,

I am from the UK but lived in Dublin for a couple of years now.

Just wanted to point out a major difference in the banking when I compare the UK to Ireland:

In the UK, under the Direct Debit guarantee, which is worded pretty much exactly the same over here, should an account holder have any direct debit payments taken out when they weren't agreed or were debited on a date that wasn't agreed, basically any debits taken in error, the banks will refund the payment immediately over the phone.

I remember it happening a couple of times when I lived there, and once or twice they would be a bit fussy but eventually they would refund it straight away, as per the guarantee.

However over in Ireland - totally different. They just aren't bothered and the reps seem to have such poor outdated training and such a lacklustre attitude. Not long after I'd opened a bank account here, a large mobile phone network took money out of my account that wasn't authorised. I went straight to the bank and the young girl behind the counter looked at me like I had three heads when I tried explaining to her about the guarantee meaning the bank has to refund me immediately.
    I even had to go and print some stuff off to show her and prove it and then she took it to her manager who said the only way it can be done is by filling in a form and it can take weeks and weeks and weeks while they chase the originators bank for the payment.

WRONG WAY ROUND IRELAND! The bank has to refund you immediately when you bring the issue up, as they do in the UK, and then chase the originators bank for their re-imbursement!!

Otherwise what is the point in having a direct debit guarantee?? The way it is done over here, there might as well be no guarantee, or they should amend the wording from "immediate" rebate to "around 6-18 weeks, who knows?".

What's all that about??

Comments

Advertisement