Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why does my coffee sometimes taste alcoholic?

• 26-03-2015 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Occasionally I buy coffee from a well-known high street franchise. (Coffee snobs, look away now. :P)

Sometimes, it tastes or smells like it contains a drop of whiskey. It's like very weak Irish coffee.

Any obvious reason why coffee can sometimes have this attribute?

I take milk and one sugar, if it makes a difference... or if anybody ever wants to buy me coffee.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I'll bet the 'well known coffee street franchise' uses flavourings which you would pick up on when going into the shop (particularly when at the counter you'll see rows of the vanilla,banana,chocolate,raspberry tall bottles). I think this tricks your brain into thinking you are looking at the spirits section in a pub and associating the aromas with alcohol.

As you can see the composition of esters below ( sciency term for what makes flavours/smell ). Basically look for a few '-ols' at the end of the word e.g. Banana essence is associated with iso-amyl alcohol. I'm not saying that there is specifically iso-amyl in your coffee but just to be aware at how much the brain is tricking you and how complex flavours/smell/memories are.

Either that or they're spiking your drink. How bad.

343420.jpg
    science.pc.athabascau.ca_chem360.nsf_f8ba9a4e31825f6f87256b6700619e85_$FILE_360Exp10-02.pdf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BoltzmannBrain

~Interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've never had that with coffee, but sometimes my pint of lager tastes like weed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've never had that with coffee, but sometimes my pint of lager tastes like weed.

Hops (humuls) and Cannabis are from the same Cannabaceae family...allegedly.
    There's an article here but I think he doesn't really get to the point.
    http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-11/beersci-marijuana-related-hops

Advertisement