Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hit pedestrian today..feel quite bad

• 26-03-2015 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭

Was cycling into Dublin city today on the daily commute.

Down the quays towards the IFSC.
    Crossing O'Connell street / bridge junction then bang pedestrian steps out...

16st going 15-20k banging on the breaks is going to hurt.. she hit the ground hard I went over on the bike...

I didn't know how to react helped her up gave her a scold asked her was she ok she seemed shaken then bolted off because my own pride and body was bruised... Stopped 50 metres up the road went back to see was she ok couldn't see her.. the oul bike is busted up but can't stop feeling bad over it..

I went to the guards who told me not to worry her fault if she walked out when she shouldn't of but i still feel bad.

Any one with similar experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Yep. Hit two pedestrians outside TCD a few years ago who walked in front of me. 16st going about 40km. The learned a lesson. So did I. Both were knocked flat. Lying in the middle of the road. One just said "I'm never doing that again" and her friend admitted responsibility. Cycled home, then realised I'd twisted my wrist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Funny this should come up, we were chatting about this earlier pondering if a cyclist owes the same care as a car etc. on pedestrian crossings. I asserted they did, but opinions differed.

A driver at a pedestrian crossing would have to have one hell of an excuse, notwithstanding colour of the 'man'.

I'm not suggesting either of you were on pedestrian crossings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

Fortunately for me the guard admitted it was a daily occurrence and the girl shouldn't have stepped out.. still feels abit surreal it happened

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Get a bell.

I let out one hell of a shout a few seconds before impact

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭frankoreagan

I just slow down a bit at very busy pedestrian junctions (O'Connell Bridge, Trinity, Dame Street/beside Central Bank etc) because I know there's eejits out there who don't look for cyclists, and I'd rather not end up breaking my bike, or worse!

Shouldn't have to I know, but that's the reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Funny this should come up, we were chatting about this earlier pondering if a cyclist owes the same care as a car etc. on pedestrian crossings. I asserted they did, but opinions differed.

I had to have a look at this thread because of this exact question.

Recently walked out on pedestrian crossing after more than one car failed to stop. I then had to stop in middle of the road because a cyclist was coming and I realised he didn't have time to stop. My friend felt bad, saying that he looked like he had a wobble when he saw us crossing.

I think its the case that some cyclists have as much care for crossings as some drivers, and they aren't prepared to stop. But who would be at fault if cyclist hit someone at a crossing?

I would 100% slow up if it was a pedestrian crossing but the fact it was a junction I would think it is not an issue..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

assume everyone is out to kill you or kill themselves....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've had numerous close calls but nearly always managed to take evasive action. I can only recall one occasion where I actually struck a pedestrian and that was outside TCD. He was a 'business' type carrying 4 cups of coffee in one of those cardboard holders which he dropped while screaming like a baby. Instinctively, I shouted "fcuking arsehole" which I immediately regretted. :o He got a huge fright but seemed uninjured.
    fiachr_a wrote: »
    Get a bell.
    A bell is only effective when approaching a crossing where you anticipate errant pedestrian activity. It's not really effective when a pedestrian steps out at point blank range between two buses and similar scenarios.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Yep. Hit two pedestrians outside TCD a few years ago who walked in front of me. 16st going about 40km. The learned a lesson. So did I. Both were knocked flat. Lying in the middle of the road. One just said "I'm never doing that again" and her friend admitted responsibility. Cycled home, then realised I'd twisted my wrist.

Why would you be going 40kph through a busy pedestrian area? Cyclists are not devoid of some level of responsibility! I cycle through town every morning ( connolly station to dame st, not a hope I'd be going at that speed! It's way too risky and asking for trouble.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Why would you be going 40kph through a busy pedestrian area? Cyclists are not devoid of some level of responsibility! I cycle through town every morning ( connolly station to dame st, not a hope I'd be going at that speed! It's way too risky and asking for trouble.

Thanks for the lecture. Bit late though. I already stated I learned a lesson. Don't let that stop you though. Feel free to stay up on the high horse there. Go on, what else should I do in the same manner you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Thanks for the lecture. Bit late though. I already stated I learned a lesson. Don't let that stop you though. Feel free to stay up on the high horse there. Go on, what else should I do in the same manner you do?

In fairness would you be so glib if a car hit you at 40Kph because they hadn't had enough 'lessons'?

Cyclists are vulnerable road users but they are nevertheless road users who need to maintain a similar awareness to pedestrians as drivers. Especially ones capable for 40Kph on a push bike.

In fairness would you be so glib if a car hit you at 40Kph because they hadn't had enough 'lessons'?

Cyclists are vulnerable road users but they are nevertheless road users who need to maintain a similar awareness to pedestrians as drivers. Especially ones capable for 40Kph on a push bike.

Yep. Stay up on the high horse. I'm learning so much more right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Why even mention it if you can't take a little criticism? Calm down would ya!

I know you said you learned a lesson, I'm just making a point, does it take creaming two pedestrians to learn a lesson like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Its tough going out there. Had an experience a few years back, funnily enough at Trinity (seems to be a popular location) about two bus lengths before the traffic lights/pedestrian crossing a woman stepped out in front of me to cross the road (note crossing c50m away). I managed to stop in time without hitting her, but endo'd my MTB with the crossbar impacting me squarely in the nutsack, to which her reply was to laugh and shrug. Que explosion from me. I actually regretted pulling the brakes for her I was that angry.

In terms of the question regarding liability at a pedestrian crossing, if its a pelican crossing then pedestrians have ROW, otherwise road traffic has ROW until such time as traffic lights indicate otherwise. Thats my take on it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

You should really slow down approaching junctions or places like that. As much for your own safety as theirs if you have a collision.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Why even mention it if you can't take a little criticism? Calm down would ya!

I know you said you learned a lesson, I'm just making a point, does it take creaming two pedestrians to learn a lesson like that?

Yep. It does. I don't need to calm down as all my statements have been made on a complete emotional plateau. Just keep making your points. They're really entertaining. Especially the really obvious ones. They're hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭jaysblades

What did you say by way of scolding ?

It was more of a 'it was a F!cking green light for me why would you walk out' kinda scold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭jaysblades

Brainz wrote: »
    It was more of a 'it was a F!cking green light for me why would you walk out' kinda scold

Oh right, I was thinking ye would have some balls to scold her ( teacher style) after hitting her ( regardless of fault) plus ye said ye felt bad .
    I suppose ye gotta remember people have ****e on their minds and just don't pay attention, it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

My sister got knocked down by a bicycle 3 times so far. Once as a kid she came home with tyre marks on her back!

I did forget to mention she had big earphones on and didn't look to the right.. didn't know she had earphones until I helped her off the ground

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Hit a guy on Kill Avenue years ago. Was flying down on my way to Dun Laoghaire, there was a constant stream of traffic on my right, cars and vans parked on my left. Guy walking down the footpath then straight out in front of me from behind a van. Not at a junction, or shop, or entrance to/from anything. I braked but it was too late. He even seen me. Had no where to go as traffic was streaming down on the right so splat straight into him. Both of us went down, he apologised, asked if I was ok. I couldn't believe he walked out in front of me so told him to be more careful then cycled off. Feel bad for not asking him if he was ok. I was so shocked I never asked him if he was ok, I regret that. I still can't believe he seen me and still kept walking out :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

jaysblades wrote: »
    I suppose ye gotta remember people have ****e on their minds and just don't pay attention, it happens.

Aye, don't we all. But I still don't walk out in front of traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

Jeez calm down on the snarkyness. The posters both made valid points and you do yourself no service with responses like that. The pedestrian was at fault yes, but if you were cycling slower could you have avoided her... who knows?

illumin wrote: »
    Jeez calm down on the snarkyness. The posters both made valid points and you do yourself no service with responses like that. The pedestrian was at fault yes, but if you were cycling slower could you have avoided her... who knows?

I knocked two down in one go, so that was pedestrians I don't need to do myself any favours. Posters decided they'd like to lecture me, I like to be condescending back. We're all winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Did you get her details to follow up on the damage done to the bike?

Didn't even think of the damage to the bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭fat bloke

16st going about 40km.

If that doesn't include the bike than I reckon I might be safe enough with those Rapha jeans :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Generally her fault, but all road users should exercise reasonable care, particularly at junctions (esp. at maybe the busiest one in the country).
    Plenty of folks ring the bell when whizzing through as a preventative measure, which is a good practice whilst traveling on a silent propellant.

There should also be more road markings of look right > or look left < just as a reminder for the situation challenged.

One thing I've seen plenty of is folks zooming around full speed at night without any lights which is simply criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Lots of faultless cyclist stories here. Quelle surprise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Saipanne wrote: »
    Lots of faultless cyclist stories here. Quelle surprise.

Shock horror, loads learning their lesson but others not being able to pick up on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Anyone that knocks down a pedestrian will feel bad after the rage abates. It's not nice for anyone. This is obvious from reading the thread. Happened to me, someone closelined my by accident, they walked out in front of me and I managed to avoid them, but as he jumped out of the way his arm got caught around my neck, there was a briefcase in his hand. His suit was destroyed, the two of us couldn't apologise more to each other after the initial shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I knocked two down in one go
    Double points.
    Well done. You have done me proud, young Harry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I once ran over a little old dear who side-stepped off the footpath (she blamed me! :)). It shocked us both. Fortunately it was at low speed.

However, put it in perspective, you didn't seriously injure or kill someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

My sister cleaned a wheelchair user out of it near the swan centre in rathmines. It was a bad spill for the two of them, was the wheelchair users fault. The sister said it was an awkward situation because while you are mad that they hurt you because they were reckless at the end of the day they are having a harder time picking themselves back up so obviously you are helping while in an absolute rage and a lot of pain. To mention, she wouldn't cycle that fast at all but does cycle a heavyish Dutch town bike so the impact would have been hefty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

Yep. It does. I don't need to calm down as all my statements have been made on a complete emotional plateau. Just keep making your points. They're really entertaining. Especially the really obvious ones. They're hilarious.

If it's that obvious, how come you had to learn it? There are other people reading these posts beyond you who might learn something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Question. What's the stopping distance for a bicycle travelling at 40 KPH ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

jelutong wrote: »

Stand in front of me and we can find out.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Guys

This is a serious topic. Some of the responses do not reflect that, although can perhaps reflect a little negatively on the cycling community for anyone dropping into this thread without the same understanding as some of us have of some of the "contributors"

As always, any questions PM me - do not respond in thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gadetra wrote: »
    Hit a guy on Kill Avenue ...
    :eek: :D

buffalo wrote: »
    If it's that obvious, how come you had to learn it? There are other people reading these posts beyond you who might learn something.

I pretty clearly pointed out in my initial post that I had learned a lesson, would you not agree? So, I ask you, of what benefit to anyone is having the next poster arrogantly point out my mistake when I had already admitted the mistake? Are we presupposing the levels of ignorance displayed by the average boards user now, in that the same point needs to be repeated just to make sure they understand?

A: "I crashed my car one day doing 80km/h on a frosty road one morning. Lesson learned there."

B: "Drving at that speed on a frosty roadies reall stupid."

A: "Yes, I know. I just said that."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

depends how hard you pull the brakes, your weight, road surface, weather conditions, brake conditions, proximity to Friday etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

It depends
    Brake type
    Wet or dry surface(and rims)
    Surface type/condition
    Rider experience, I'd expect friction factor to vary between 0.5 and 0.9ish
    Bike condition
    Rider alertness/hand position
    Road gradient
    Etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I just slow down a bit at very busy pedestrian junctions (O'Connell Bridge, Trinity, Dame Street/beside Central Bank etc) because I know there's eejits out there who don't look for cyclists, and I'd rather not end up breaking my bike, or worse!

Shouldn't have to I know, but that's the reality.

Exactly this. Many road users have a streak of righteousness as opposed to assessing a busy area where the potential for an accident is high. Okay, you may be right but at what cost when other idiots exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I've been lucky enough not to hit anyone so far but I had a very close call a few weeks ago. An older fellow crossing the road at kielys in donnybrook stared directly at me as I was coming towards him at some speed, he just started stuttering in to the road and I had to slam on the brakes, I was lucky not to skid out or take him out. He just kept muttering sorry while I gave him a piece of my mind as I cycled on. Expect people to do the stupidest thing possible and you'll never be surprised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    I've been lucky enough not to hit anyone so far but I had a very close call a few weeks ago. An older fellow crossing the road at kielys in donnybrook stared directly at me as I was coming towards him at some speed, he just started stuttering in to the road and I had to slam on the brakes, I was lucky not to skid out or take him out. He just kept muttering sorry while I gave him a piece of my mind as I cycled on. Expect people to do the stupidest thing possible and you'll never be surprised.

Hopefully we will all grow older someday, I'd like to think people would be as courteous/forgiving to them/us
    as they would their own parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Voltaire/Spiderman — 'With great power comes great responsibility' (101kg + 15kg x 40kmph)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

roverrules wrote:
    Hopefully we will all grow older someday, I'd like to think people would be as courteous/forgiving to them/us
    as they would their own parents

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't overly rude, I just suggested he might look before he crosses the road and scolded him for not doing so. By older I mean mid-fifties, he wasn't an octogenarian or anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement