Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hit pedestrian today..feel quite bad

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Back in 1996 as a young fella I was cycling around by trinity head back towards grafton St and as I went through the orange pedestrian lights some business man p.rick sticks his umbrella through my front wheel and over I went. When I got up and asked wtf he was at he said it was because I went through a red(it was orange!) and proceeded to poke my with the umbrella a couple of times. I was 16, he was 40+. I didn't know what to do.....

anyway, feck the pedestrians......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

My sister got knocked down by a bicycle 3 times so far. Once as a kid she came home with tyre marks on her back!

Mmm, I walloped a little girl out of it one time, knocked her right on her back, maybe it was her? I stopped briefly and helped her up. She started crying, I crapped myself and done a legger, didn't want to get into trouble. I justified it by thinking well she was bigger than me and would probably give me a hiding once calmed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

I pretty clearly pointed out in my initial post that I had learned a lesson, would you not agree? So, I ask you, of what benefit to anyone is having the next poster arrogantly point out my mistake when I had already admitted the mistake?

It's called learning from others' mistakes, don't take it so personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

nc19 wrote: »
    Back in 1996 as a young fella I was cycling around by trinity head back towards grafton St and as I went through the orange pedestrian lights some business man p.rick sticks his umbrella through my front wheel and over I went. When I got up and asked wtf he was at he said it was because I went through a red(it was orange!) and proceeded to poke my with the umbrella a couple of times. I was 16, he was 40+. I didn't know what to do.....

anyway, feck the pedestrians......

Another example of not knowing what to do at pedestrian crossings. That said I would have called the guards and had the guy done for assault.

Anyway, amber lights essential mean stop unless it is unsafe to do so. At a pedestrian crossing it is always best to assume the pedestrian has right of way. Your basic hazard perception comes into play.

There is no difference between an ignorant motorist ploughing into a cyclist than there is an ignorant cyclist ploughing into a pedestrian both have the potential to kill or seriously injure someone, as does a negligent pedestrian walking out in front of a cyclist but you are the one with the 'upper hand' as it were so the onus falls to you.

I do wish we could all just get along. A good way of doing that is us all, motorists, cyclists and pedestrians obeying the rules of the road. If we don't for whatever reason, cyclists protecting themselves at lights etc, at least don't be a dick - the amount of times, at the bottom of Winetavern street a small army of cyclists form a wall across the pedestrian crossing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

the amount of times, at the bottom of Winetavern street a small army of cyclists form a wall across the pedestrian crossing...

The reason for this being that some of them want to go straight after the bridge, some want to turn right. It is a better strategy to choose the appropriate lane at these lights than change lanes at the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Alek wrote: »
    The reason for this being that some of them want to go straight after the bridge, some want to turn right. It is a better strategy to choose the appropriate lane at these lights than change lanes at the bridge.

I'm talking about them in a line blocking the pedestrian crossing for pedestrians not for motorists. They're perfectly entitled to filter forward, many don't. They're also perfectly entitled and indeed safer to pick the correct lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I was hit by a bike while I was crossing the road at the traffic island on Dame Street at Andrews Lane - occurred last Tuesday. Green ma. Was on and I was carrying a coffee from Keoghs. Bike courier kept coming and would stop and brushed my shoulder as I tried to scarper out of his way. He slide and shouted an expletive then he actually stopped and tried to head back for afters so to speak.
    I simply do not understand the mentality of so many people that I witness on bikes in he city centre. I simply cannot imagine why it is necessary to cycle in town at relatively high speeds where there are an abundance of peds.
    In built up areas 20km speed limit should apply in my view to all vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's not just the city either. You clip another cyclist passing them at 40kph you could seriously injure them. See cyclists doing crazy speeds on the cycle path in the phoenix park. Get on the road if you want to go that fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

beauf wrote: »
    It's not just the city either. You clip another cyclist passing them at 40kph you could seriously injure them. See cyclists doing crazy speeds on the cycle path in the phoenix park. Get on the road if you want to go that fast.
    I do those speeds on the Park cycle lane every day without incident. There's plenty of room to pass and lots of grassy runoff in case the passee wobbles. How is it any different from passing cyclists on the road at the same speed?

Also, cyclists are strongly discouraged by the parkies from cycling on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lumen wrote: »
    I do those speeds on the Park cycle lane every day without incident. There's plenty of room to pass and lots of grassy runoff in case the passee wobbles. How is it any different from passing cyclists on the road at the same speed?

Also, cyclists are strongly discouraged by the parkies from cycling on the road.

Yep.

For the avoidance of doubt - I am not for a minute suggesting a low speed limit everywhere - only in estates, and urban town centres. 40km/h is reasonable for large we too s of the Phoenix Park - if people want to put the foot down on a bike there are plenty of places to do that. Town centres are not those places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

ROK ON wrote: »
    Yep.

For the avoidance of doubt - I am not for a minute suggesting a low speed limit everywhere - only in estates, and urban town centres. 40km/h is reasonable for large we too s of the Phoenix Park - if people want to put the foot down on a bike there are plenty of places to do that. Town centres are not those places.

isn't most of the city center (the quays anyway) 30kph?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I cross the road at dame street/Andrews lane every evening and even when the green man is lit up, a lot of the cyclists won't stop. Haven't noticed this at any other area yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Years ago a junkie stepped off the footpad at Heuston station and while I saw him, didn't slow enough not to collide.
    Anyway, I remember lying on the ground with this guy spaced out going "all right man are you okay". ugh, I got up saw the front wheel buckled out of use, saw no way of recompense, sent yer man on his way at least thankful that whatever concoction made his day numbed whatever pain a bicycle wheel to the leg and human to the shoulder had caused.

Closer to the op, I saw the exact same thing a few months ago as I waited to cross O'Connell bridge. Pedestrian stepped out thinking they would make it, cyclist saw them and adjusted, pedestrian reconsidered and clipped the cyclist.
    All okay bar shock and a lesson learned.

ETA: interesting point though, of all the people standing to cross, most went to see if the pedestrian was okay (never fell down) compared to the cyclist that got a nasty bang and slide on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I have a slightly different one. Tuesday morning I was first bike stopped on a red at the patrick's cathedral junction heading towards christ church. There is just about room for two bikes with a scrape giving how the car at the front is stopped. Anyway light goes green and a lad who I doubt had any intent on stopping anyway on a smiths style mountain bike comes tearing up my outside and overtaking as I'm pushing off. Like I said given the tight gap between me and the car his bars clip mine and bang over he goes. Nice scrape on the side of the car too from his bike hitting that as he went over. Was an interesting conversation between myself, himself and the lady driver.

If someone swerves as you pass you've no margin for error. If you don't want a car passing close at 40kph why would it be any different for a cyclist.

Some cyclists use the main road at quite slow speeds holding up traffic for no good reason. Maybe that's the reason. That said the park authorities do odd things. So quite unpredictable. They don't really like commuters.Kinda off topic.

Its not reasonable to pass close to others at high speed. You might no have an accident for years. But it could be catastrophic if you do.

• Advertisement

cyclists are strongly discouraged by the parkies

Really? Who, how, why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Mmm, I walloped a little girl out of it one time, knocked her right on her back, maybe it was her? I stopped briefly and helped her up. She started crying, I crapped myself and done a legger, didn't want to get into trouble. I justified it by thinking well she was bigger than me and would probably give me a hiding once calmed down.
    It was in Galway in the late 80s. The cyclist was a fully grown man as far as I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Someone mentioned bells. While I have one on my commuter bike, people crossing streets while texting don't hear bells. They move off the pavement when they hear the cars have passed, with no insight that a bike is coming through too. I usually scream "look-up, look-up' at them. It funny to see their faces which change from being startled to sheepish when they realise they are the centre of attention.

I'll never get a better chance to use this link. Check out the sound.

http://www.lionbellworks.co.uk/index.php/contacts/about-us

If someone swerves as you pass you've no margin for error.
    I have a margin of about four feet of grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I was coming along the canal one morning on the way to work, the schools were off so the road was basically completely free of traffic and I was doing a fair clip down the cycle lane, maybe 25 - 30k.

A man in maybe his late 50s stepped out on the opposite side of the road and jogged across without looking my way - nowhere near a junction even, so I was going full pelt. I let out a yelp, hit the breaks and tried to avoid him, but he was too close. Made grazing shoulder contact with him (which was still a pretty hard thud) and then hit a tree on the footpath. Thank God I was wearing my helmet.

He was a bit shaken, but unhurt. My bike was a bit messed up and my arm from my shoulder to elbow was as black as coal for a week. Could have been a lot worse. If the tree hadn't been there I was probably going into the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

A pedestrian hit me on the bike. I couldn't believe how stupid she was as on a main road and without checking just crossed. I was two foot away and we both got an awful shock. I was last up due to handlebars jabbing into ribs and leg cramping. I was so shocked but kept asking was she ok. She didn't respond and walked off. Two pedestrians saw what happened and the knock I got so wouldn't let me move until ready. I was annoyed by her reaction but it was only when I was able to cycle off the chain was off the bike. Turned out bike completely written off with numerous issues due to collision. A bell wouldn't have helped and if she had given me more notice I would have swerved and really hurt myself. To not get an apology or enquiry as to was I ok was infuriating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hit a pedestrian yesterday too. Was cycling on an outside lane, pedestrian stepped out from in front of a van, into my path no room too break. He was on phone drinking a coffee. Hopped off him, went to stop, then he punched me, so I thought "fvck him" and rode off.

but hey lets all concentrate on the one or two cyclists that break red lights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Get a bell.

And ring it in the morning, ring it in the evening all over this land..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Brainz wrote: »
    Didn't even think of the damage to the bike

I think he was being sarcastic there, if not then cyclists are some fcuked up folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I hit a fella once who crossed on the red man. I tried avoiding, he saw me and tired avoiding me too. I caught his trailing foot like the perfect ankle tap/hand trip in rugby, he was starting to run and took a few stumbling lengthy strides as his body came close to parallel to the road, then splat. I didn't fall, felt bad but it was his fault. I had a good giggle cycling off as it was like slow motion or in a cartoon, he tried to avoid the inevitable fall, he was ok apart from a bit morto as it happened in front of lots of stopped cars.

I have a margin of about four feet of grass.

Do you cycle on the grass 4 feet away from the other cyclist? No.

You're on the same path, well within touching distance and the other cyclist will have no warning.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3829734.ece

Do you cycle on the grass 4 feet away from the other cyclist? No.

You're on the same path, well within touching distance and the other cyclist will have no warning.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3829734.ece
    I do frequently use the grass if I'm overtaking someone who looks like they might wobble.

I'm afraid you're not taking account of my mad skillz.

In any case, faster overtake means less TED.

28-05-2012

That was before the change in legislation and they were technically right :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Fair nuff. TED?

The grass is a bit of a lottery with slick tyres, and unexpected potholes. You can get decent drift going though.

Alek wrote: »
    That was before the change in legislation and they were technically right :rolleyes:

Wasn't there a thread before about this and something about bylaws applying in the park. Anyway as the weather improves the path in the park will become more like a trench run on the death star.

bylaws applying in the park.

I'd love to read more on this. Cycling around Phoeno often enough...

Wasn't there a thread before about this and something about bylaws applying in the park. Anyway as the weather improves the path in the park will become more like a trench run on the death star.
    I know it's pathetic, but every time I pop on to that narrow strip of tarmac to left of the white line on the run down to the gates at the bottom of the Park, that Skywalker quote about womp rats runs through my head.

Fair nuff. TED?
    Time exposed to danger. I'm also not really convinced that clipping some at speed is worse than doing it slowly. I present as evidence all the broken collar bones from low speed crashes in pro cycling. But at this stage I'm even boring myself.

Done loads of laps of the Phoenix park, I've never encountered a ranger, never mind have one to tell me to use the bike lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Geraldo

I'm amazed how many people have hit pedestrians here. As someone who has commuted into the city by motorbike for years and never hit anyone I'm a bit shocked.

Cyclists are among the least visible road users yet so many seem to assume that the laws have them covered. Is it not better to ride with the assumption that nobody will see you and act accordingly??

Geraldo wrote: »
    Cyclists are among the least visible road users yet so many seem to assume that the laws have them covered. Is it not better to ride with the assumption that nobody will see you and act accordingly??

Acting accordingly would mean not cycling at all. You say it as if we're all going out willfully running pedestrians down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

A close friend of mine was hit on Leeson street by a cyclist running a red light four years ago; he had a broken wrist plus his leg pinned in two places, which involved three operations. He ended up losing his job over it because he couldn't come into work easily (2nd floor flat, no lift, difficult to use crutches with wrist in plaster) and it wasn't possible to work from home. Unfortunately he had no choice but to take the cyclist to PIAB, and was awarded about €15,000.

Anyone walking out in front of traffic when traffic has the right of way is an idiot (and there are plenty of idiot pedestrians!), but anyone running a red light is also an idiot. Cyclist are subject to the same responsibilities as a car user.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Geraldo wrote:
    I'm amazed how many people have hit pedestrians here. As someone who has commuted into the city by motorbike for years and never hit anyone I'm a bit shocked.

You have an engine so can be heard. A lot of pedestrians don't check for cyclists and yes a lot of cyclists break lights and do stupid things. I was well lit up with lights and Hi vis but no use when someone blindly steps out.

There's a couple of contributory factors.

You obviously don't use bus lanes cos that's illegal, so that wipes out a whole host of opportunities for running into peds.

And you're wider than many cyclists, so you can't filter as easily. And you have a big noisy engine.

Well, cyclists are just people who happen to be on a bicycle when you see them. Many of them also drive and walk. You may have noticed moronic behaviour from drivers and peds too. It's the same class of moron using a different mode of transport.

I think half the the issue is that peds either don't expect cyclists to be filtering (cars can't filter) or think that cyclists don't present enough danger to be regarded appropriately.

Acting accordingly would mean not cycling at all. You say it as if we're all going out willfully running pedestrians down.

No need to be defensive. I'll put it like this. When I ride there are always cars, trucks, pedestrians and everything else acting mad on the roads. Plenty of bikers act mad too! I can go out there oblivious to this and when something happens I may well be within my rights to finger point and say it was their fault. But in my opinion it's better to realise that these guys exist and try to modify how I ride to negate this as much as I can.

Saying that would mean not cycling at all is just ott.

No need to be defensive. I'll put it like this. When I ride there are always cars, trucks, pedestrians and everything else acting mad on the roads. Plenty of bikers act mad too! I can go out there oblivious to this and when something happens I may well be within my rights to finger point and say it was their fault. But in my opinion it's better to realise that these guys exist and try to modify how I ride to negate this as much as I can.

The assumption you're making here is that the cyclists on this thread who have had collisions with pedestrians weren't trying to negate this as much as they reasonably could. The implication being that it's our fault regardless of whether or not it was our fault. That's kind of offensive, so there is a need to be defensive.

Actually, the obvious cause of cyclists having a higher incidence of hitting peds is that they tend to cycle next to the footpath, and swerving right often means putting oneself in the path of passing motor vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

In my experience, motorcyclists with years of experience and managing to remain unmangled after years of riding motorbikes, are some of the best/safest road users.

I'd certainly be taking on board any comments they have on awareness, likely high risk situations etc.

• Advertisement

The assumption you're making here is that the cyclists on this thread who have had collisions with pedestrians weren't trying to negate this as much as they reasonably could. The implication being that it's our fault regardless of whether or not it was our fault. That's kind of offensive, so there is a need to be defensive.

Ah here, I'm just saying people ought to try to take responsibility. It's not that controversial really. Just saying people will have less incidents if they assume responsibility themselves. I have a feeling we'd probably agree anyway on the overall point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

You obviously don't use bus lanes cos that's illegal

I thought bus lanes were usually marked with these signs
    contra.gif
    meaning they are bus & cycle lanes.

I thought bus lanes were usually marked with these signs
    contra.gif
    meaning they are bus & cycle lanes.

He meant on a motorbike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, recently enough sent a guy flying when he crossed in front of me on the canal cycle lane. Didn't hit him fast, but I hit him full-on so I stopped dead and hit the ground and he went flying onto his ass about ten feet down the track. He came over to say sorry and I yelled at him, and I do feel bad about that. When the fog cleared half a second later the guy had already made a run for it so I couldn't talk to him.

He was younger than me though so I'm sure he wasn't injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Was hit last month by a guy on a Dublin bike. He skipped a red and went right into me. I got up bruised and sore, looked around and he bailed. Not a sorry or checking to make sure I was ok.

I always slow down at junctions on my bike, and I never skip a red. I've been hit several times by cyclists skipping reds when I'm walking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement