Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hit pedestrian today..feel quite bad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thankfully I've never hit a pedestrian but a cyclist knocked me down in 1995 breaking both my elbows and left wrist.

The little arsehole just picked up his bike and fucked off.

Due to a complicated scaphoid fracture I couldn't return to work for 11 months, and when my daughter was born I wasn't allowed hold her in the delivery suit because of my fractures ~ the nurses were (rightly) concerned that I might drop my new baby.

If you're that cyclist reading this forum now, all is forgiven ~ in fact I'll invite to to a free Judo or MMA lesson to show there's no hard feelings :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Lumen wrote: »

I think half the the issue is that peds either don't expect cyclists to be filtering (cars can't filter) or think that cyclists don't present enough danger to be regarded appropriately.

this is the core of the problem in my opinion.

Geraldo wrote: »
    I'm amazed how many people have hit pedestrians here. As someone who has commuted into the city by motorbike for years and never hit anyone I'm a bit shocked.

Cyclists are among the least visible road users yet so many seem to assume that the laws have them covered. Is it not better to ride with the assumption that nobody will see you and act accordingly??

The difference is that pedestrians will show respect to the danger of being hit by a motorcycle but not a cyclist. Have you ever had a pedestrian look you dead in the eyes as you approach and then step out in front of you regardless? As a cyclist it happens almost daily.

Everyone understands that being hit by a motorcycle will most likely have serious possibly even fatal consequences, for that reason pedestrians don't take chances with motorbikes. I believe that many pedestrians underestimate the effects of being struck by a cyclist (this thread is full of awful examples of such effects) and do not understand that cyclists cannot stop immediately or take instant avoiding action even when being cycled in an otherwise safe manner. Thus pedestrians run across roads in front of cyclists, step out in front of cyclists and walk in cycle lanes. All actions that they would never do with Motorised traffic.

I believe this is compounded by many peoples failure to understand just how fast cyclists can actually travel. on the North Quays I can out pace the cars and buses (and remain within the 30Kph limit) whilst on my Dutch Bike. However people will run across the road in front me but not the other traffic which may actually be going slower. I can only conclude that they do not perceive me as a danger but do consider (naturally) the other vehicles as such when in fact a collision between me and pedestrian (at any speed) is likely to cause injury to both of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thankfully I've never hit a pedestrian but a cyclist knocked me down in 1995 breaking both my elbows and left wrist.

The little arsehole just picked up his bike and fucked off.

Due to a complicated scaphoid fracture I couldn't return to work for 11 months, and when my daughter was born I wasn't allowed hold her in the delivery suit because of my fractures ~ the nurses were (rightly) concerned that I might drop my new baby.

If you're that cyclist reading this forum now, all is forgiven ~ in fact I'll invite to to a free Judo or MMA lesson to show there's no hard feelings :pac:

That's awful. Hopefully karma has struck him down with various nasties.

A cyclist knocked my 7 year old down crossing on the green man outside his school, just blemmed through. While wife tended to my son, cyclist picked up bike and cycled off. He's a luck man I was not on drop off that morning, I might have ended up being arrested.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I was cycling up Lombard St one evening when a guy stepped out from between two parked cars into the cycle lane. He was looking at his phone and not paying attention to where he was walking. I swerved to my right and just about avoided him but my left handle bar knocked the phone out of his hand. The contact was absolutely perfect and launched his phone halfway to Merrion Square. As I rode off I could hear him shouting ‘aah me bleedin phooooone.’ Real nice action.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

I have hit one ped in my time commuting, and came really close to hitting a second, but totally messed myself up avoiding him.

The first ped stepped out onto the cycle lane along the Grand Canal right in front of me, facing in my direction of travel. Me 18.5St, doing about 34kish. He had headphones on, head down, not looking. Bell would have done nothing as they were the type of headphones that cover the ears, and his music was no full blast. There was no one else on the foot path at the time, he just stepped out. He was more hurt than me. Learned my lesson after that, and slow down along the canal after that, and seeing someone get doored.

The almost miss was coming through Ranelagh, and the ped stepped out in the road from behind an illegally parked van, facing the wrong way just as my front wheel was coming up to the vans bumper. I was only doing about 20, but he frightened the bejaysus out of me. I avoided him, just, but went down like a tonne of bricks as I was clipped in. I was lucky there was not a car behind me, or I would be dead. He gave me a lot of abuse, and kept going. I really did hurt myself on that one and am still convinced if I had hit him, I would not have been hurt as much, plus maybe next time he may not do it, because it might be a car, and not a cyclist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I had an odd near miss, outside pearse street station. Pedestrian standing on kerb edge, decided to pick something up on the kerb just as I passed. Legs straight he just suddenly bent and his head missed my knee by a hair. Just weird. You get a lot of people walking out in front in city centre. Even running across last minute.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Actually, the obvious cause of cyclists having a higher incidence of hitting peds is that they tend to cycle next to the footpath, and swerving right often means putting oneself in the path of passing motor vehicles.

This.

And the fact that lots of pedestrians cross with their ears and not their eyes. If they don't hear a car coming, they just walk out. Which is why there's talk of putting noise generators in electric cars, because people keep stepping out in front of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A lot of people just don't look or hear. Even where their are lights and noise.

You just have to allow for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Clobbered a ped going through Balbriggan one afternoon - she stepped out from between two parked cars - a fact I only became aware of later. At the time I was just wondering why I seemed to be sailing through the air.

Anyway, in a bit of daze on the ground I became aware that her 'partner' was standing over me shouting all kinds of rubbish. She, in the mean time, recovers from the bang and gets up and starts joining in the abuse.

Thankfully, a couple of motorists who seen the whole thing hopped out and told them to get lost and helped me get back up.

Bike wasn't in great shape but I was fine - given the belligerent demeanour of the pair I went to the Guards to report what had happened and they just waved it off saying it was her fault and not to worry.

They also, very generously, gave me a cup of tea while I waited for the 'team car' to pick me up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

i absolutely think that most cyclists in Dublin city centre are absolute cvnts.
    EVERY single time i go to cross at a pedestrian crossing, (when i have right of way) about 3-6 bike-cvnts come up and stop right in the fvcking path of where the pedestrians are crossing the road, meaning that i have to walk around them.

the amount of times i've called them cvnts to their stupid faces. if i had a euro for every time i'd be a very rich man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

the amount of times i've called them cvnts to their stupid faces.
    these little fat ugly pig-b!tches should be whipped, then whipped again, then killed.
    [...] should be slowly lowered into a big pot of boiling oil and left there until he's dead too.

I think I'll take a bus on Monday.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Friday is almost over folks. If anyone else wants to come in and pour more petrol on this thread, they better get in there quick before we lock it.

EVERY single time i go to cross at a pedestrian crossing, (when i have right of way) about 3-6 bike-cvnts come up and stop right in the fvcking path of where the pedestrians are crossing the road, meaning that i have to walk around them.

the amount of times i've called them cvnts to their stupid faces. if i had a euro for every time i'd be a very rich man.

.....then you could afford to buy a car and you wouldn't have to walk everywhere saying rude words to people.....

Too much petrol?

It must feel terrible to be mildly inconvenienced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Solution to those who think we should be nosier
    //w ww.vat19.com/item/turbospoke-bicycle-exhaust-system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

So I probably shouldn't be posting since it's not Friday any more.. but still...

I've hit one pedestrian ever, and it was in the last year. I felt pretty bad about it even though no-one was hurt. She was crossing the road through stationary traffic, from behind a van, checking only to her left; I was overtaking the stationary traffic and therefore on the "wrong" side of the road from her perspective. I was travelling at a cautious speed - probably under 20 kmph - and saw her just in time to jam on the brakes but still made contact as a light arm-to-arm bump. We were both shocked, but I did just about remember to apologise and ask if she was ok before heading off. (She was).

Almost all of my cycling is suburban and urban commuting, so I have a healthy awareness of pedestrians. In the inner urban areas of my commute, I slow down, have my hands over the brakes, and watch like a hawk. That said, I can still cycle Camden Street at 30kmph in the right conditions.

As cyclists / cycle commuters we (completely reasonably) should be able to expect that motorised road users give us extra consideration as vulnerable road users - and in fairness, most drivers do - but we should pay the same courtesy and respect to pedestrians.

I've yelled a warning at a couple of people who would otherwise have walked out in front of me, but as far as I'm concerned, the primary responsibility for avoiding collisions with pedestrians is mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Surprisingly, nobody's mentioned the danger to the cyclist who hits a pedestrian - I heard last year about a cyclist in Dublin city centre who was mooching along when a pedestrian stepped out, and the cyclist somersaulted off his bike and hit the ground on his back, bursting his spleen. He'll be on antibiotics for the rest of his life.
    Acting accordingly would mean not cycling at all. You say it as if we're all going out willfully running pedestrians down.

Not really, Maxie. Cycling at a reasonable speed for a crowded city, and ringing a good loud bell when approaching pedestrians, and watching out for pedestrians with earphones and pedestrians who appear to be distracted - this kind of defensive road use is safest for all of us.

I'm surprised at the number of people here who quote speeds that they cycle at in the city that i'd personally only regard as appropriate on a wide, clear country road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

I do those speeds on the Park cycle lane every day without incident. There's plenty of room to pass and lots of grassy runoff in case the passee wobbles. How is it any different from passing cyclists on the road at the same speed?

Also, cyclists are strongly discouraged by the parkies from cycling on the road.

I think the comment might have also been about behaviour on other "less well designed cycle paths" like the Fairview Park arrangement. Lots of dangerous speeds there on a path that leads in one place straight to the steps of the pedestrian bridge, stops completely in another, switching outside the pedestrian path, and finall is crossed by cycle lane coming out of the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Not really, Maxie. Cycling at a reasonable speed for a crowded city, and ringing a good loud bell when approaching pedestrians, and watching out for pedestrians with earphones and pedestrians who appear to be distracted - this kind of defensive road use is safest for all of us.

Do you ring a bell every time there is a pedestrian on the footpath? I'm just wondering since I've very rarely seen cyclists who do that. It doesn't seem like a good idea because 99% of the time it is unnecessary but maybe we should be constantly ringing our bells. Maybe go back to having playing cards jammed in our spokes. I'm not being facetious, cyclists being nearly silent and some pedestrians relying almost entirely on their ears is a significant problem I think.

I've haven't hit a pedestrian in 30 years of cycling and I think being extra cautious around them reduces the risks a lot. However I think the possibility is still there. I have seen people step out in front of cyclists who are only feet away and the cyclist does not have a lot of options to avoid them when this happens. The only way to absolutely guarantee you will never hit a pedestrian is not to cycle (or drive for that matter).

Presumably people step out right in front of motorcycles a lot less often. Maybe because people think being hit by a bicycle won't hurt, although that doesn't really go with the idea that cyclists pose a deadly danger that seems popular in certain types of radio and newspaper pieces. The more frequent explanation in my opinion is that people are increasingly distracted (walking through the city is a good opportunity to catch up on Twitter) and they rely on their ears because their eyes are busy with their phone. I often see people look up to check the road then go back to their phone, when the car in front of me passes them they step out right in front me me without looking again.

I have absolutely no doubt that plenty of cyclist / pedestrian collisions are the fault of the cyclist. If you were going through a red light or the wrong way then I don't care what the pedestrian did, you are at fault. In a lot more cases the cyclist should bear some responsibility. In the classic old road safety message where a motorist sees a ball rolling out in to the road which is rapidly followed by a child the point is that you need to be aware of possibly dangers and act accordingly. All cyclists should be doing this too. If you see a pedestrian start to cross in front of you and you could slow down but choose to swerve around them instead then you bear some responsibility even if they shouldn't have crossed. However there are certainly plenty of occasions, probably more than people who don't cycle realise, where there is little the cyclist can do to avoid a collision.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Was hit by a bike once. Broke my leg in 3 places. 100% my own fault - ran across a road without looking. T'was nearly 50 years ago mind....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think the comment might have also been about behaviour on other "less well designed cycle paths" like the Fairview Park arrangement
    The comment I quoted specifically mentioned the Phoenix Park.
    beauf wrote: »
    It's not just the city either. You clip another cyclist passing them at 40kph you could seriously injure them. See cyclists doing crazy speeds on the cycle path in the phoenix park. Get on the road if you want to go that fast.
    I don't know Fairview Park, but there is a whole thread about the Clontarf to Sutton Cycle Lane.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057305410

Beasty wrote: »
    Was hit by a bike once. Broke my leg in 3 places. 100% my own fault - ran across a road without looking. T'was nearly 50 years ago mind....

Who'd have thunk a penny-farthing could do that much damage:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jawgap wrote: »
    Who'd have thunk a penny-farthing could do that much damage:D
    IIRC, the girl riding said bike was rather large (or I was relatively small - effect is pretty much the same either way I guess)

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Do you ring a bell every time there is a pedestrian on the footpath? I'm just wondering since I've very rarely seen cyclists who do that. It doesn't seem like a good idea because 99% of the time it is unnecessary but maybe we should be constantly ringing our bells. .

I use my judgment; as with driving, I'm simultaneously keeping an eye on the area directly in front of me and on the next 50 feet or so.

If I see a group of people standing at a traffic light waiting to cross, I ring the bell, because otherwise someone is liable to look, not see a car, and step out to cross.

If I see someone standing apparently in a dream near the edge of the path - even if they have their back turned to it - I'll ring the bell, because it has been my experience that people who do this will often turn and step straight out into my path - possibly because they're actually on the phone using earbuds, and when their call finishes they automatically walk on without looking.

I'm not sure how this works, but I ring the bell in a non-aggressive way. Sometimes if a pedestrian looks up, startled, I'll say as I approach, "Just warning you that I'm here" and smile. I wouldn't want to give people the impression that I'm shouting at them to get out of the way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm not sure how this works, but I ring the bell in a non-aggressive way. Sometimes if a pedestrian looks up, startled, I'll say as I approach, "Just warning you that I'm here" and smile. I wouldn't want to give people the impression that I'm shouting at them to get out of the way.

I usually shout careful, I can change the tone to make it friendly or urgent or fear inducing as needed.

Very effective

Loud enough to beat headphones, my bell never really beat them when I had one.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    I usually shout careful, I can change the tone to make it friendly or urgent or fear inducing as needed.

Very effective

The one thing that beats most headphones is setting your brakes slightly at a slant so they screech.

Oddly, I don't find that shouting works; there's that "Huh - what??" moment while people *think*, whereas with a bell they generally know it's a bike coming.

But then I'm not (usually, because I go slowly enough) shouting at someone who is already in my path, but warning people who are not aware I'm there, and who *may*, theoretically, wander into my path.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The one thing that beats most headphones is setting your brakes slightly at a slant so they screech.

My work mate does this, he to swears by this although he only done it by accident.

Is that why brakes screech? Mine drive people mad and I was thinking about changing pads but they definitely let people know I am around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... is setting your brakes slightly at a slant so they screech...
    That will be popular on the club ride! :eek:
    Is that why brakes screech? Mine drive people mad and I was thinking about changing pads but they definitely let people know I am around!
    They make noise when the rear of the pad strikes the wheel rim fractionally before the rest of the pad makes contact with the rim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Oddly, I don't find that shouting works; there's that "Huh - what??" moment while people *think*, whereas with a bell they generally know it's a bike coming.

But then I'm not (usually, because I go slowly enough) shouting at someone who is already in my path, but warning people who are not aware I'm there, and who *may*, theoretically, wander into my path.

Only works if you brake for the hazard, bell is more efficient as you don't necessarily have to brake :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

CramCycle wrote: »

Very effective

I shout a sharp "HEY!" on the top of my lungs. Shorter neural travel, than any verbal message, to get to the right part of the brain.

Did not beat headphones a few times though, thankfully I haven't hit a ped yet.

One jumped over my front wheel while I was slowing down from >35kmh convinced I'll hit him, that was as close as I got.

It works for my disc brakes, but only in rain. They make people stop on the other side of the road :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

I had a bit of an odd one the other day.

Was coming up to this fairly busy intersection before a bridge. Lots of cars, no pedestrians. The lights were red ahead of me and they'd been red for a while, knowing that they'd turn green any second now. I notice a flight (group) of pigeons nibbling on some crumbs three lanes out from me (incoming traffic lane).

I thought to myself, if those pigeons don't fly away now there's blood going to be spilled. I thought about cycling over and ringing my bell but was too conscious of being a complete tool in front of both incoming traffic and all the cars waiting for the lights to turn green.

The lights turn green.

Cars accelerate towards the pigeons and do not bother even sounding their horns. The pigeons disperse minus one who is pushed back down as it attempts to take off. The following car finishes the job on the poor knocked down pigeon and feathers go everywhere.

I felt bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

The common theme here strikes me as being that people don't seem to expect the unexpected.

I'm not preaching, but I've been cycling 'round Dublin for over 20 years and I've yet to hit a pedestrian.
    Although if I were to count the times it almost happened it'd be in treble figures.

I just know, same as I know every car on the road is trying to run me down, that I should never get close enough to the footpath at anything over 10kph that someone could step out and get hit by me. Simples.

That will be popular on the club ride! :eek:

They make noise when the rear of the pad strikes the wheel rim fractionally before the rest of the pad makes contact with the rim.

I should have explained, it's on my commuter not my road bike. And you're right, squeaky breaks on the road bike would not be tolersted.

I should have explained, it's on my commuter not my road bike. And you're right, squeaky breaks on the road bike would not be tolersted.

But squeaky brakes might…

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

I was coming along the canal one morning on the way to work, the schools were off so the road was basically completely free of traffic and I was doing a fair clip down the cycle lane, maybe 25 - 30k.

A man in maybe his late 50s stepped out on the opposite side of the road and jogged across without looking my way - nowhere near a junction even, so I was going full pelt. I let out a yelp, hit the breaks and tried to avoid him, but he was too close. Made grazing shoulder contact with him (which was still a pretty hard thud) and then hit a tree on the footpath. Thank God I was wearing my helmet.

He was a bit shaken, but unhurt. My bike was a bit messed up and my arm from my shoulder to elbow was as black as coal for a week. Could have been a lot worse. If the tree hadn't been there I was probably going into the canal.

If you were travelling at 25kph, a cycle helmet didn't do squat. They're designed to protect you at 14-17kph max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

liam24 wrote: »
    If you were travelling at 25kph, a cycle helmet didn't do squat. They're designed to protect you at 14-17kph max.
    A man in maybe his late 50s stepped out on the opposite side of the road and jogged across without looking my way - nowhere near a junction even, so I was going full pelt. I let out a yelp, hit the breaks and tried to avoid him, but he was too close. Made grazing shoulder contact with him (which was still a pretty hard thud) and then hit a tree on the footpath. Thank God I was wearing my helmet.

He was a bit shaken, but unhurt. My bike was a bit messed up and my arm from my shoulder to elbow was as black as coal for a week. Could have been a lot worse. If the tree hadn't been there I was probably going into the canal.

Wouldn't have hit the tree at 25kph, and my arm and shoulder took a lot of the impact. Also I'm not dead or a vegetable, so it did something.

Odd post tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

liam24 wrote: »

You should notify the UCI immediately.
    There's races on today.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Helmet debate, really?

Helmet debate, really?

Not here, certainly - we have a Megathread for that sort of stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nearly taken out by a stupid pedestrian on the descent of Kilakee road this evening. He came out of the farmyard at Kilakee House and looked as if he was about to cross. I feathered the brakes in anticipation but he stopped and stared at me. Happy days, power back on again. When I was just metres away he just walked across right in front of me and continued to stare at me. On a fcuking deathwish? I managed to avoid him but he nearly cleaned both of us out of it. Gave me a fright and spoiled the descent. I wouldn't mind but I think it's the first time I've descended Kilakee Road/Stocking Lane in the dry. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Nearly taken out by a stupid pedestrian on the descent of Kilakee road this evening. He came out of the farmyard at Kilakee House and looked as if he was about to cross. I feathered the brakes in anticipation but he stopped and stared at me. Happy days, power back on again. When I was just metres away he just walked across right in front of me and continued to stare at me. On a fcuking deathwish? I managed to avoid him but he nearly cleaned both of us out of it. Gave me a fright and spoiled the descent. I wouldn't mind but I think it's the first time I've descended Kilakee Road/Stocking Lane in the dry. :(

Gotta love the way cyclists describe a potential collision between an object travelling at 15/20 kph and a static object - as the moving object gets "taken out" by the "stupid" static(almost) object

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Gotta love the way cyclists describe a potential collision between an object travelling at 15/20 kph and a static object - as the moving object gets "taken out" by the "stupid" static(almost) object

Jebus is there anything at all between your ears. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Stupid is as stupid does!

I think the following qualify as being stupid ( and highly dangerous)
    Pedestrians that think its OK to walk out in front of any traffic.
    Sepping out on to a roadway without looking.

All are mindless acts that can result in injury or worse.

And for balance;

A cyclist or motorist breaking any rule of the road.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Jebus is there anything at all between your ears. :eek:

Absolutely sir, have the letters after my name and the pieces of paper if you would like to examine them. Thread makes me cringe for those cyclists who live in the realm of the current world around us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

I hit a young lad, he was about 18 or so, was on my bike many moons ago. He actually walked out on purpose and was egged on by his friends like he was playing 'safer' chicken, I tried to brake but it was too late, my handle bars hit his chest and broke two ribs, i was surprised i didnt come off the bike. His friends seemed happy he was hurt, it was quite intimidating as there was a group of 20 of them all shouting while I was trying to help the lad who was clearly in pain after being knocked off his feet. They were known in the area for being in a gang and I got some threats off them, although they were only whippersnappers it was not nice being surrounded by them.

He lived on our street so I went round to see how he was doing, his mother was angry as he hsd been telling her stories and I got a letter from those no win no fee solicitors as he was suing me, I had to waste money on a solicitor to defend myself. Luckily there were many witnesses who said they had been doing it all day and he had a very long criminal record so his claim wouldn't have got far. But the whole 2 months was very stressful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Absolutely sir, have the letters after my name and the pieces of paper if you would like to examine them. Thread makes me cringe for those cyclists who live in the realm of the current world around us.

So did Ian Paisley didn't make him a doctor though sunshine ;) Clearly your vision of the current world is warped. Perhaps a few more letters and papers may fix that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

What letters...PRIK? :rolleyes:

What letters...PRIK? :rolleyes:

namecalling, very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I was under the impression that as soon as a pedestrian sets foot onto the road they have right of way, and by default if you hit them you're in the wrong? I'm sure thats what my driving instructor told me when I had my lessons way back when? I presume if you hit one on a bike the same applies as a car, and If you injure someone you'll get pinned to the wall by an ambulance chasing solicitor and the 5-O

I nearly nailed a full family in my local village this morning, stopped in the shop for some jellies on my way to my ride because I'm too unloved for easter eggs, and went off down the village to do a climb to warm up, family of tourists start stroll across the road like the abbey road cover formation. I pulled the brakes so hard I nearly endo'd into them. Didn't even shout at them, just turned the air blue out of fright. I'll admit I was absolutely lifting, but they wouldn't have had a hope if I were on anything other than a MTB with huge brakes, my hybrid is dodgy enough even in the dry

Advertisement