Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK National Insurance Number with no proof of uk address

Options
  • 26-03-2015 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have been offered 8 weeks construction work in London, Uk. I will need to open a bank account and get a national insurance (ni) number. I now you can open an account with HSBC without a uk address, but I am anticipating problems if asked for proof of a uk address for getting the NI number. I have been checking what is accepted as proof of address in the uk and it seems to me the easiest to get that is acceptable would be a Utility Bill (not a mobile phone bill - issued within the last 6 months) and even the chances of me getting this is slim to none. Is there any way I can just use my Irish address.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

A bank statement or rental agreement is generally enough for your NI number. You can also start working before you get your NI number.

You won't be able to use your Irish address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 billybrennan

I had the very same probably as I only moved over 3 weeks ago so I hope I can help you. I called NI the day I arrived and they gave me an interview time for the very next day. They requested that I have proof of address for where I am staying but said that a signed letter for your landlord will suffice. This letter needs to state that dates that you have the accommodation for and it needs to be for more than 4 weeks from my experience. They want to make sure that you will be at that address when they send the reply to you request for an NI number. All in all, it took less than two weeks for them to get back to me and the process was pretty smooth. The letter from the landlord was essential.

As regards bank account, I know you did not ask the question but I too considered HSBC until you look at the charges they have (£8 per month). I took an chance with walking into Lloyds and seeing what they require. I might have got lucky but they were happy to give me an account with proof of identity and they did not need proof of address. I did however need a UK address to open the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

i got a national insurance number in derry just got a letter from the crowd i'm working with and that was all i needed, they sent the ni number to my address in cork, i also opened a northern ulster bank account over the phone with no problems with a south address, all i had to do was go into a ulster bank in the south with 2 forms of id, had it set up within a week and there are no bank charges for the account.

Advertisement