Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any decent dog/puppy training books?

• 26-03-2015 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭

So, we are getting a new dog in a few weeks, its 13 years since we last had to train a dog, and though she is happy, she is not what you'd call particularly well trained.

So we are hoping with a whole family to train it, our new pooch will have a better training.

I know ideally classes would be way to go, but transport and cost is main issue there. So any reputable training book suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Depending on where you live, it might be well worthwhile getting a good trainer to come to you? Well worth the few quid, especially if there are habits you need to undo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Might look one up. Its a puppy we are getting so hopefully we won't give it any bad habits. As I said our old girl isn't terrible, she comes back when called (when she hears us), and is great with kids and other dogs but we thought we'd train the new girl together. Not to say we won't be able to do that with advice from a trainer. I'll investigate costs further!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oops, I misunderstood, I thought you were saying that your new dog had some foibles, as opposed to your senior dog! How do you think she'll feel about a new pup in the house?
    If you go the trainer route, and I would strongly recommend it if you find a decent trainer as a hands-on one-to-one session trumps any book, make sure you try to find an acredited trainer, you'll find such people on www.apdt.ie, and be aware that although not every county is covered by professional members, there are student members up-and-coming too who are committed to gentle, force-free training :)
    In the meantime, I'll have a think about good training books, and maybe others can give their own suggestions too :)

When Im working and house would be otherwsie empty she goes to the mother in laws who has had a couple of very young dogs in the last year, there are three dogs there, and our old girl.

We think she is lonely after losing her companion dog getting on for 2 years ago as she actively looks forward to going to the mother in laws house. Jumps in car at every opportunity. Obviously we are guessing and she might be quite happy on her own, but always has more life in her when she has the other dogs around. That's part of reason we have decided to get another dog. Its also selfish reason as kids are coping with illness of my dad, so trying to take their mind of it.

Edit: Not a single trainer in my county so further investigation is needed.

Our old girl is unwell so we are going to put the new dog idea on hold. I'll probably buy a couple of different books, gives me a chance to have a read, might look into clicker training too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement