Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County council want to put skate park next to my house!! Please help!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If fairness it isn't a methadone clinic. It's likely to attract the 'right sort' of youths. Is there any research on the social impact of skate parks?

As a matter of interest, is this about actual likelihood of antisocial behaviour or is it about yourself vs the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When you say "right next" to your house, are you talking feet, meters of kilometers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

PGirl wrote: »
    I live on a very quiet residential road where most of the residents are elderly. The county council want to put a skate park on the road - right beside my house!! Has anyone any experience of a skate park being near their house? Or can you help me to identify what negative side effects could result from it such as noise? The council have, in my opinion, a much better site they could use in the centre of town which is not near any residential places. I need to convince them that my road is not suitable - any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

People complain when kids have nothing to do or places to go. Is it really that bad having this beside you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

PGirl wrote: »
    Thanks a million for all that info. Yes, we have a resident's committee and we are all aghast and heartbroken over it. It's seems it's not a phase 8 and that the decision is going above the local councillors heads. The council official is making the decision. The resident's committee will continue writing letters to the council and I will make an individual complaint also - great idea thank you. Yes it'll just be a mass of concrete, not soundproofed apparently. I am truly devastated over this whole thing.

Why is everyone so aghast when, as you say, you're uncertain whether there will actually be ill effects? Assuming as a matter of course that having it near you will automatically be a negative isn't exactly a productive starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Skateparks are generally a great amenity, and can help reduce anti social behaviour if done correctly and managed well.

From the OP it seems that the proposal is right up beside their house. That is not a good location. No matter how well managed it would be a likely source of noise nuisance. The constant drone of skate board wheels is a lot noisier than a swing or jungle gym.

OP can you describe the area a bit more. Type of houses, density of houses. The proposal in relation to its surroundings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There is a skate park in Blanchardstown in one of the parks. It's beside the playground so I'd be over there quite a bit. I've never seen anything remotely anti social, the kids who use it respect it. The only thing is the noise, I'd imagine it might be annoying if it was next door.

Advertisement