Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home of the Year RTE 1 - 8.30pm Tuesdays

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I presume there's no fear an apartment will ever feature in this series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

That cob house was straight out of the 'hobbit' - well built but a little claustrophobic.
    The surfer house had a bit of functionality about it. Personally I hate knick knacks everywhere - out with the feather duster every week.
    The cottage was a blend of traditional Irish and new England and actually worked until we saw the kitchen.
    Does anyone think gender differences are creeping in ?- give Helen a bath in the bedroom with lace curtains and she will go Ah.......
    Give the boys some quirky shelving and they will love it.
    Can't wait for the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Have to say I really liked the houses featured in last night's show. I liked that the we small ,neat and cosy. The first and third got a 9 from me while the second got an 8 (I did miss the clean-ness of straight lines!)

In relation to the split kitchen of the third house - I thought it looked weird too until I realised that my gran's 200+ year od house is the same. Her sink is at the back of the house, off the main living area while her "pantry" which contains cooker and fridge is in a small extension on the front of the house.

Although in fairness I wouldn't have a cooker right beside the dining table in house no 3 on the program, could she not have put the fridge there instead and integrated it, it would have looked a bit neater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Just watched HOTY.

Oh my gosh! I had a really strong dislike for the cob house. It was by far my least favourite. I get that the style of building is unique. etc but I thought it was terrible to look - not my style at all. And all that awful mishapen wood!!! Aaagh!

I would have even rated the thatch cottage over Cob House.

Very disappointed that the Surfer House didn't win.

Just watched HOTY.

Oh my gosh! I had a really strong dislike for the cob house. It was by far my least favourite. I get that the style of building is unique. etc but I thought it was terrible to look - not my style at all. And all that awful mishapen wood!!! Aaagh!

I would have even rated the thatch cottage over Cob House.

Very disappointed that the Surfer House didn't win.

Well, its not straight out of IKEA , that's for sure.:D
    The hubby is a carpenter and his love of wood is obvious. It still takes a lot of man hours to get a look like that.

• Advertisement

recipio wrote: »
    Well, its not straight out of IKEA , that's for sure.:D
    The hubby is a carpenter and his love of wood is obvious. It still takes a lot of man hours to get a look like that.

I think I see an Ikea lampshade in the upstairs landing!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I missed the first 5 minutes I want to see that surf house properly, will watch again tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

amdublin wrote: »
    I missed the first 5 minutes I want to see that surf house properly, will watch again tomorrow

or now?

LINK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Just catching up now.

OMG the first house :eek: You'd want to be on drugs to live there - or if you weren't you'd definitely wind up on them! Cool idea, obviously a huge amount of effort went into creating that - but live in it? No thank you! I'd be in a padded cell within six months.

I'm halfway through watching the second house. Gorgeous setting (I'm a sucker for water of any kind, so a house perched over a river like that is my idea of heaven). Really gorgeous exterior - I'd be a long time guessing it was a new build. Inside - it's lovely, but the big fella (I cannot get the hang of their names!) was right about all the couches in the bay windows pointing in - shocking waste of views! Dunno how you go about avoiding that - maybe one of those circular "conversation seats" that you see in old hotels in the middle of the room :D Anyway, I wouldn't be keeping my back to those views, that's for sure!

I'll be interested to see what else they have to say about it. I wouldn't be writing home about the interior, but it's lovely. (not hard after house no. 1!)

Love love love their duvet cover!

On the random jibes at the presenters front - would she STOP SAYING WOOOOOWWWWWW! Hers and the big fella's accents are really grating on me - they used to give out about Lorraine Keane and her DORT accent - this pair would leave her in the hal'penny place. And what's ORTHenticity? :confused:

Right, now I've got that lot off my chest, back to the programme.

Just caught up there with last weeks episode.

Think id be feeling a bit hard done by if I was the owner of house 2 or 3 - to see that 70s house win.

I loved that cottage in Wicklow - the church was cool too imo.

The colours in the 70s house just don't work for me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Just watched the latest episode now on the player. Have to say the format, discussion and raw material, esp. this episode, made for rather entertaining viewing :) Not bad, RTE (not something I'd say often :pac:)!

Finding this thread, on the other hand...I ended up just going directly to Google. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes the boards.ie search experience is just :rolleyes:. Not sure if it's got worse since the recent shuffles

• Advertisement

The houses in the NI programme ( seems to go out every two years ) are way more expensive and middle class. Is NI just a wealthier society or is it down to production values.?

The houses in the NI programme ( seems to go out every two years ) are way more expensive and middle class. Is NI just a wealthier society or is it down to production values.?
    The NI programme is House of the Year. This one is Home of the Year.

I think that makes a big difference. The NI one is more about architecture and would lend itself towards the more spectacular builds - this one more about interiors, which is how that awful 70's house managed to win.

Quite apart from your opinion of the interior (you can probably guess mine :D) that house itself was an example of all that's wrong with a lot of housing/building in this country - plastic pastiche stuff.

Despite the similarity in names, I think the two programmes are very different.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The NI programme is House of the Year. This one is Home of the Year.

Agreed. Generally the NI houses have immaculate landscapes and are well finished - lots of money in other words.
    The VAT rate down here of 23% is a real disincentive to be adventurous - first build houses in NI are VAT free ( Michael Noonan please note )
    Anyway I'm diverting from the thread - sorry.

I know she probably annoys/frustrates some - but I actually think Helens okay - seems pleasant enough.

I don't always agree with her opinions though - especially re the 70s home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

I live in a touristy village in Donegal and the wealth I see coming down here from the North is incredible. So many people have holiday homes here and all drive high range cars and the best of the best clothes. I do think Donegal would be better off economically joining Northern Ireland.

I live in a touristy village in Donegal and the wealth I see coming down here from the North is incredible. So many people have holiday homes here and all drive high range cars and the best of the best clothes. I do think Donegal would be better off economically joining Northern Ireland.

Just compare the price of cars and tax North and South :rolleyes:

Watched it again tonight and the houses on it were lovely. I prefered the houses in reverse of appearance-3, 2, 1. The first one was too designy for my liking, very lacking in personality and colour. The second house was so cute, I definitely could have lived there- cosy but modern. Reminded me of my neighbour who has a holiday home here, which was his grandfather's old homestead. I think he did a better job than the house shown so it goes to show the best houses in Ireland aren't on this show. I love the eclectic mix of colours in the last house. Not sure I could live there but I think it's true, we need to add more colour to our homes in Ireland. It definitely lifts the spirits.

I love the chemistry between the judges, always getting the sly digs in but in a funny way. Hugh and Helen really slag each other.

Missed the 3rd home.

The cottage (2nd home) was class - id love to see it in the flesh

Grrr I missed it tonight

amdublin wrote: »
    Grrr I missed it tonight

At least you can catch up on the player. I missed a few weeks but I think the episodes are gone now. I can't say one house stands out for me but I do have a soft spot for that house which was owned by the interior designer and redesigned after a flood. Loved the colours in it.

• Advertisement

Is it true true to say that men like neat minimalist houses and women like colour and clutter everywhere.?
    I'd go for the first house anytime - well designed and restrained greys everywhere. The third house ( the winner ) was a visual nightmare and I'd have a permanent hangover living in it.
    The Cottage was nice - I loved the simple steel kitchen but where was the storage. ? Its gas what people get up to in their own home.!

Just catching up now.

OH WOWWWWWW!!! x 3 on entering through the front door. :mad:

Loved the first house, and the cottage was gorgeous (although tiny - how would you share that with two German Shepherds :confused:).

Whoever said they'd have a permanent hangover in the third one got it spot on. I've a headache already looking at it, and I haven't even got to the end of the segment yet. Husband wisely stayed out of the whole thing - probably completely morto!

Would you not kill yourself in fairly short order on that swing in the middle of the kitchen :confused:

Dogs in every one this week! (plus one cat)

Only watched it on rte player now. Where is the pink house located anyone know???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Just watched bits of episode. Think winner was in Dalkey (could be wrong). Cottage was beautiful. First house didn't do anything for me. Winner was great fun-would love an indoor swing!!!

The house was a hideous mixture of everything and anything. Even the homeowner admitted that 'nothing matches' Do the judges now think that all concepts of harmony , colour matching and a restrained palate are all just old hat ?
    It seems to me that they will like anything as long as its unique ?

I only watched this yesterday. I didn't like the first house - far too sterile. I liked the thatch. I was conflicted about the third one.

I really like this log cabin :o

I don't like the surroundings. Need to plant more trees around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Owners seem lovely-no wow yet (from Helen!)

Advertisement