Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home of the Year RTE 1 - 8.30pm Tuesdays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Can't believe Hugh only gave a 6 to that mews house

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Can't believe Hugh only gave a 6 to that mews house

I know :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I think the Cork home will win overall

honeybear wrote: »
    I think the Cork home will win overall

Was that the one with the huge big bookshelf wall?

Was that the one with the huge big bookshelf wall?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭derb12

amdublin wrote: »
    Agree it is very staged looking.

This house is for sale!
    It's on myhome.ie reference 3161399.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,973 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

derb12 wrote: »
    This house is for sale!
    It's on myhome.ie reference 3161399.

€1,700,000 :eek:

Quazzie wrote: »
    €1,700,000 :eek:

The cynic in me thinks, so much for "Home of the year"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

I was just thinking how many of the home owners were designers, architects or owned an interiors store. Most of them did. Not many ordinary Joe Soap houses on it which is annoying. Some of them were on it to advertise their business for sure. I definitely don't think that Ireland's best home is in this bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Late viewing as usual here.

Loved - absolutely loved - the job they (she) did on that last house. But oh my goodness, I HATED the way it was staged. It was exactly like a film set - I could no more imagine making a cuppa tea in the kitchen, or slobbing with my feet up watching the telly (was there even one?) or even undressing in the bedroom - was there a wardrobe? Towels in the bathroom?

Now I know you need to tidy up a bit, and put on a bit of a show when the telly cameras are coming. But seriously.

No no no no no.

A more shameless plug for the girl's new business would be hard to manage.

The mews was lovely, although - having lived in a teeny tiny house for 10 years - a bit TOO small. But the owner seemed really, really happy in it despite the death of her husband, which made me really warm to it.

Log cabin in Monaghan. I'd be sort of interesed in seeing it in 10 years' time, to see how it's settled in - I got the impression the glue was barely set on the logs it's so new. And so ORANGE. Definitely could not live in that without a few coats of white paint to break up the ORANGE. And it most certainly needed a bit of landscaping outside, it was like an alien ORANGE spaceship landed in a field.

Very unmemorable houses tonight, and I really really disagree with the winner.

The most memorable house from the series for me was that one with the wall of bookshelves with the stairs alongside.

Well, actually the most memorable was that acid-trip of a psychedelic nightmare mock-Georgian creation in some suburb of Dublin :eek: But that was most definitely not a good memory, so I'm trying to suppress it again.

Go the bookshelf house, I'm rootin' for ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I HAVE THAT COUCH!!!!!!
    Which one???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I was just thinking how many of the home owners were designers, architects or owned an interiors store. Most of them did. Not many ordinary Joe Soap houses on it which is annoying. Some of them were on it to advertise their business for sure. I definitely don't think that Ireland's best home is in this bunch.

The bit ive put in bold - I agree with 100 percent :)

Some lovely houses out there I reckon that aren't even in the competition

http://selfbuild.ie/featured/primary-numbers/ this one for example - NO its not something everyone will like - but that didn't stop the 70s house winning.

To me the home ive linked to - its not so much that its the best home - but by god its better then much of whats in the competition.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Which one???

The one in the mews house!

It's a brown leather couch from the Stockholm range in ikea.

I also have the white table she had beside it but I have it in black. She had a lot of ikea but it didn't stand out - the chairs at the table behind the couch were ikea iirc

I was at Take That last night. Declan is the image of Mark Owen!!! Or vice versa.

Anyone else see it??!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Not too many exciting houses in the competition. The log house stands out as being a bit alien to the Irish countryside ? I though the Church conversion was good - its difficult to do and keep a restrained palate. Overall I thought the Judges liked the the psychedelic house and the ' bookshelf' house best.
    Its still interesting to contrast them to the NI houses ( see earlier in the thread ) - both metaphors for lifestyles north and south ?

All in all I've enjoyed it as a series. I hope it comes back again next year.

The UK one as far as I can remember had different categories e.g. best house boat, best conversion (factory church etc), best new build, best e o build/passive house etc. Something along those lines might be good because then you are judging like with like.

But overall as I said I have enjoyed this program. Aside from the "wowwwwwws" and the like :) the judges are good and likeable I thought.

I was at Take That last night. Declan is the image of Mark Owen!!! Or vice versa.

Anyone else see it??!!!!

Yes!!!

I was at Take That last night (amazing concert) - definitely saw a resemblance between Declan and Mark Owen.......they kind of are the same build........

That bloody Victorian restoration from last Thursdays show will probably drive on to win it.

Personally I don't think it should even be in the final.

If I were Patti from Tipperary - with the restored cottage - I would be SERIOUSLY pissed the lovely cottage is not in the final - and that monstrosity is.

Its really not home of the year material at all.

I loved the log house, Pattis cottage, Mark and Jeans home in Wicklow, Leon and Lorraines farmhouse with extension.

NONE of them in the final afaik - and that monstrosity is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Gosh I've forgotten what houses are even in the final! I know I didn't like last week's winner. I wasn't mad on the cob house and I loved the house with the books all beside the stairs and the large windows and hidden door. And that hideous psychedelic house was awful! Cannot remember any more of them.
    Is there any round up of the finalists anywhere or do we have to wait til Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

All in all I've enjoyed it as a series. I hope it comes back again next year.

The UK one as far as I can remember had different categories e.g. best house boat, best conversion (factory church etc), best new build, best e o build/passive house etc. Something along those lines might be good because then you are judging like with like.

But overall as I said I have enjoyed this program. Aside from the "wowwwwwws" and the like :) the judges are good and likeable I thought.

Er..........no, the NI programme is simply for houses. Remember Laurence Llewelyn Bowen doing his slightly sarcastic spiel.
    We all have personal tastes -one mans rubbish etc.

• Advertisement

recipio wrote: »
    Er..........no, the NI programme is simply for houses. Remember Laurence Llewelyn Bowen doing his slightly sarcastic spiel.
    We all have personal tastes -one mans rubbish etc.

I am thinking of a different one that wasn't presented by Llewelyn Bowen.

It was on a channel that at a time also did "The best dessert in the world" where they travelled around the world for example went to the Ritz in Paris and showed a dessert that had gold leaf in it.
    They also did the best main, best starter etc

And then there was a program about best houses

Sound familiar to anyone????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Dont like two off the houses. Shouldnt have got this far at all.

Dont like two off the houses. Shouldnt have got this far at all.

Definitely think ONE of them shouldn't be there.

And still feel that NONE of the homes in the competition are home of the year - I already linked to a converted school a page or 2 back - that imo would (should) wipe the floor with most of whats in the competition.

Pattis cottage is beautifully done however - the log house was nice and theres a few other stunning houses.

But you expect the best of the best for a competition like this

Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

I am not sure I saw all the episodes but as long as it is not last week's house (which seems to have been decorated just with this competition in mind but not for living) that wins, I would be ok.

I would hate to live in the 70's house but at least you could see that it was someone's dream house. I didn't really like the cob house either but again, you could see it's owners' heart in it.

Last 3 predictions: cork cob & expensive dub

Yes! It's not last week's:)

Glad exp one gone

I bet it will be the Cork one.

• Advertisement

Go Cork

Advertisement