Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home of the Year RTE 1 - 8.30pm Tuesdays

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Will def win this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ha h a ha ha lol declan and Hugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

Love this third house. One beautiful room full of light but also cosy private spaces.

3 nines (at least)

honeybear wrote: »
    3 nines (at least)

This has to be the winner.

• Advertisement

3 nines (at least)

A 7 from Deirdre!

7!

Desperate result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Very wrong call there

I'm not liking the way one judges 10 influences the outcome

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Where is the cottage located

Very disappointed. The second house was great as a house but it is not house of the year, it is home of the year.
    It looks again as if it is architects looking for architectural houses not homes. And I am starting to really believe that the pond of Irish architects is tiny. They seem to all have gone to the same school, the same year and to be interchangeable.

)
    I'm not liking the way one judges 10 influences the outcome

Or one 7.

awanderer wrote: »
    )

Or one 7.

Was going to add that ... Great minds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm rolling in late as usual!

That first house (the house itself) was amazing! But oh my goodness it would give me a headache living in it. It was nearly painfully put together with all the stuff - too much.

The second house - OMFG. The size of the place!! Bit echoey, maybe? It's like a (albeit very nice) warehouse.... That living room/terrace with the doors (entire wall, really) is amazing. Bathroom would give me nightmares :eek:

Ad break here - can't believe I'm actually saying this as I'm a total sucker for Victorian redbricks, esp those with bay windows - but that second house won hands down for me.

As an aside, anyone know where the Deirdre got that shirt she's wearing?

House no. 3..... gorgeous house!! Beautifully renovated. The tiles in the hall are just amazing. Declan is right about the furniture, but I have to admire them just suiting themselves and not inflicting uncomfortable straight-backed chairs which would probably be more authentic.

I'm not entirely sure about that glass bubble.... never thought I'd say this, but can you have too much glass?

Boring kitchen.

Never mind the house, the garden......

Oh, that bedroom......

This one is my winner. Don't think it'll be the judges' favourite though....

CaraMay wrote: »
    Where is the cottage located
    Co. Antrim.

Anyone know where the first house was?

Very disappointed with that for a result.... as someone said earlier, it's more like house of the year rather than home of the year. They're letting themselves down here.

I adored house 2. It was my winner hands down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Green with envy for the modern house - it would lift my mood everyday. They have an eclectic collection of furniture which kinda spoiled it for me. The house cried out for a minimalist treatment.? And Hugh is getting his piano hinge confused with a parliament hinge :rolleyes:

Watched programme again-Tipp house is beautiful. I really like the exterior (it's quite a surprise behind the wall).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Mushy wrote: »
    Where in Tipp is that second house? Would hate to live there, but looks nice

Would hazard a guess at Cloughjordan because of the whole Eco Village thing there but I'm not 100% sure. Would love to see it too.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Would hazard a guess at Cloughjordan because of the whole Eco Village thing there but I'm not 100% sure. Would love to see it too.

Doubt it's in Cloughjordan

It's in Mulcair Valley according to article in Examiner. I don't know where that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

It's in Mulcair Valley according to article in Examiner. I don't know where that is

Tipp /Limerick border. Looking at it again I want to clear out all those design icons and a 'Gitane' cigarette ad on the wall --please :eek:
    They must have used a steel beam construction to get that huge overhang ?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm rolling in late as usual!

That first house (the house itself) was amazing! But oh my goodness it would give me a headache living in it. It was nearly painfully put together with all the stuff - too much.

Just catching up on this now.

Entirely agree - way too much stuff on display, between the sailing stuff and the random collection of elephants and rhinos and globes etc! I liked the kitchen apart from the rhino head... !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Only caught up with the most recent episode last night, poorest one for me so far. The first house I just didn't like, it didn't make me go wow or like it at all. The second house had no appeal to me either. Sounds mean but it just looked a bit too showy, everything looked so expensive. To me it said I've spent plenty of money on an architect and on fixtures, fittings and furnishings. I liked the overhang and feel it might be useful in our limited Irish summers!
    Last house was lovely, I liked the style of the old cottage, it did take a while for the glass box extension to grow on me. Why they put the utility room in it I don't know. It's supposed to be an oasis for the couple, however you can't relax with your book beside the wood burning stove when the wash machine is next door doing a spin cycle. Also found the judges remarks about the kitchen a bit cutting, the kitchen is quite similar to many Irish kitchens.

I like that cat!

This is all just a bit too hippy dippy hipster for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I don't get how this home made the cut in the first place! Its emperors new clothes home. I have no clue what the designers are raving about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'd live in that, just take out some of the try-to-hard hipster styling. Obviously if I lived there myself it'd be same layout, different furniture!

• Advertisement

I love apartments/flats that are done cool

Advertisement