Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home of the Year RTE 1 - 8.30pm Tuesdays

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

GAAcailin wrote: »
    Yes, unusual to have all 3 in Dublin.

Anyone know where in Dublin these properties are located?

First was Heytesbury Street, Dublin 8.
    Last was an apartment block on the corner of Emmet Road and South Circular in Kilmainham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

All nice houses and the apartment had a peaceful vibe. The pink front door was hideous - just like Hugh's jersey.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I would have gone for the cork bungalow over the galway house.

I wasn't overly keen on the galway house, there were aspects I liked but there was just something I didn't like but I don't know what that was.

The second house was fun but I think the dining room really let it down....there was just way too much going on in that room.

The cork bungalow was lovely.

I seriously don't know how people live so clutter free....in my house clutter seems to multiply while I'm sleeping.

I would have gone for the cork bungalow over the galway house.

I wasn't overly keen on the galway house, there were aspects I liked but there was just something I didn't like but I don't know what that was.

The second house was fun but I think the dining room really let it down....there was just way too much going on in that room.

The cork bungalow was lovely.

I seriously don't know how people live so clutter free....in my house clutter seems to multiply while I'm sleeping.

Yeah I totally agree with all of this!

There was something a bit bleak about the Galway house it wasn’t there. I just hate that style of furniture too and I hated the fireplace

Agreed with the comments on the kitchen in the cork house but would have rather if that had won!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭123654789

I wasn't very impressed with any of them this week. The dormer was just okay. The middle one was too odd and cluttered but the last one was cold and austere, no family feel to it. And why would you put all.the wardrobes outside the bedrooms?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Two weeks in a row the judges have criticised children's bedrooms for not having a door directly to outside rather than a window.

What world are they living in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Deeec

123654789 wrote: »
    I wasn't very impressed with any of them this week. The dormer was just okay. The middle one was too odd and cluttered but the last one was cold and austere, no family feel to it. And why would you put all.the wardrobes outside the bedrooms?!

Agree with you. I had no house envy for any of them - nothing I would like to live in or steal ideas from.

1st house - nice space layout but they failed on the design of the interior.

2nd house - lovely old house. It was a mistake having the dining/living/kitchen upstairs - It would be much better downstairs with views to the gardens and having the kitchen more open. The cluttered interior design just seemed like they were trying too hard. I love old houses but think you have to keep the layout/design somewhat traditional.

3rd house - was just ok. Seemed very cold - no way could I live in it. I hated that in some of the rooms the views were blocked by walls ( some of the walls even serving no purpose by the look of it ). I appreciate alot of design ( & money) went into it but the house is not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,699 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Clue Girl wrote: »
    None of them could compete with a previous HOTY judge, Paddy, whose container home featured on Grand Designs. There was a GD programme a few years back and l, as far as I remember, McCloud picked Paddy’s house as his favourite over the years

Yeah I miss Paddy Bradley as a judge on it too, he had an infectious enthusiasm about him. Saw that episode of Grand Designs and Paddys container house up north, he did an amazing job on it all on a pretty tight budget.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Two weeks in a row the judges have criticised children's bedrooms for not having a door directly to outside rather than a window.

What world are they living in?

All I could picture was those kids coming into their teens and skiddaddling out their bedroom doors and into the night :D

I like to watch the programme twice before venturing a comment - you usually pick up some missed detail.
    The first Cork home was a transformed dormer bungalow.For me, those single pane windows and metal cladding turn it into a Fuhrerbunker The interior finish was a bit crude in places - that slatted wall is just cheap white deal and the stairs needed a handrail.
    The second old schoolhouse in Co Down looked massive - I think we only got to see part of the building. ? I can see the owner put a lot of time and money into it but it needed more restraint. Too many unrelated knick knacks IMO.
    The third house in Galway was a brave attempt to blend into the countryside in fairness. Dunno if I like Core 10 steel or the timber formed concrete walls . What is this craze for mid century design furniture ? It all looked a bit brown and undersized to me.
    The best house probably won but I doubt its the overall winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Out of the 3 houses -

I quite liked the dormer bungalow - but I hated the main bedroom looking out onto the front garden with people walking by. You'd have to either keep the curtains drawn or put up a blockout fence. I can see why they complained about the kitchen purely because the bathroom was down there, but as a kitchen it was perfectly laid out and had plenty of storage.

Second house - loved the exterior, hated the interior. I like trinkets and knick nacks but god almighty that was an insane amount of stuff. And deer heads/statues. I hated the kitchen. There's something very dated about that plain square kitchen and the ceiling seemed very low in it, particularly compared to the double height ceiling in the main dining room. And I cringed when Amanda Bone pretended to dance in it. She's hard to watch at the best of times but that was awful tv.

Third house - liked the loose stone walls, hated almost everything else. Particularly those cast concrete walls. The whole house was too cold, too cavernous, and had no personality. The only interior thing I liked was the green colour of the kitchen cabinets. I could never live in a house like it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

And why would you put all.the wardrobes outside the bedrooms?!

I wondered about that too. I had visions of everyone running out to the corridor in their jocks to find their clothes for the day.

Loved tonight’s! Favourite was the first one, just because it was that bit different! Three fab houses!

I follow the second house on insta, it’s for sale!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Wow this last house is right up my street!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Second house tonight was naff. All over the shop. The owner has spent too much time on Pinterest. No sense of unique design or taste. Also the woodies bog-standard veneer style doors just stood out like sore thumbs.

Third one was gorgeous but after living abroad for a long time a lot of these Dublin houses just remind me of the interior style of the Dean or Devlin hotels. They aren't unique or show any real originality in the design and creativeness of the owners. Sort of come across that they have tonnes of money and just want to be surrounded by what other people have done before them.

I liked the first house, it was lovely and crisp.

Second house had abit of a bordello feel off it...it was nice though.

Loved the third house. I got what they were saying about the kitchen empty space, as coming in from the hall it was abit vacant, but I still thought it was a lovely kitchen. Plus if they have kids it will get filled up quick enough.

Second house had abit of a bordello feel off it...it was nice though.

I rarely ever - maybe once in my life - when to Lillie's (and it would have been 20 years ago) all I thought about when I saw the sitting room was: 'Lillies Bordello'.

Overall the house was extremely girly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

The third house might’ve been my favourite of the series so far!

I'm still in love with the little cottage with the epic storage solutions :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Loved the kitchen in that 3rd house especially.

Disappointed the producers didn't show all the tech that the couple mentioned, we didn't really see much apart from a Nest Hub in the bedroom.

Me too, it was fabulous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭123654789

Loved tonight’s! Favourite was the first one, just because it was that bit different! Three fab houses!

I follow the second house on insta, it’s for sale!

Same, I thought the first bungalow was fantastic. One of the judges wanted more colour (can't remember but probably Hugh) But I think that would have ruined it. There was a lot of colour just a narrow palette I guess.

The second one made me twitch. The horrible neon signs and the pink room. Very interesting that its for sale, I don't suppose you've a link? I'm nosy :D

I loved the last one too, they did a great job but I was waiting for the tech and it never came.

It was beautiful. But the poo brown dining room with the bike on the wall?!?

Sorry but who puts a bike rack in a room like that - too try hard.

The back of the kitchen area was lovely - but they extended the panelling from the older part of the house into the reno out the back too much. It looked odd. They'd have been better mixing old (sympathetically) with new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

Lesalare wrote: »
    It was beautiful. But the poo brown dining room with the bike on the wall?!?

Sorry but who puts a bike rack in a room like that - too try hard.

The back of the kitchen area was lovely - but they extended the panelling from the older part of the house into the reno out the back too much. It looked odd. They'd have been better mixing old (sympathetically) with new.

That paneling hides a secret entrance to a toilet and a whole pantry! Pity they didnt show that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Both of these are my favourites so far.
    Will be interesting to see who wins next week, hope it's one of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've no idea how they will ever agree on a winner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Tefral wrote: »
    That paneling hides a secret entrance to a toilet and a whole pantry! Pity they didnt show that.

I thought that might be the case alright, I suspected that there was hidden storage behind the paneling but I suppose the judges had to have something to moan about.

Same, I thought the first bungalow was fantastic. One of the judges wanted more colour (can't remember but probably Hugh) But I think that would have ruined it. There was a lot of colour just a narrow palette I guess.

The second one made me twitch. The horrible neon signs and the pink room. Very interesting that its for sale, I don't suppose you've a link? I'm nosy :D

I loved the last one too, they did a great job but I was waiting for the tech and it never came.

Check out this property I found using Daft: https://www.daft.ie/13600817

Snoop away!!!

If the semi d in limerick wins this fecking thing it sums up the last year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Deeec

Check out this property I found using Daft: https://www.daft.ie/13600817

Snoop away!!!

If the semi d in limerick wins this fecking thing it sums up the last year :)

That house is such a mixed bag. Some of the rooms are very bland and some of the rooms are way over the top ( the new owner could have to spend a fortune in paint to get rid of some of them colours). I dont think the furnishings suit the house at all.

The last home was a deserving winner - a triumph for less is more. I didn't get what Hugh and Amanda were on about with the kitchen - sometimes you need space for space's sake. I love the white Carrara marble tops and splashback - reminds me of Lipton's shops when I was growing up - and that dates me.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Deeec wrote: »
    That house is such a mixed bag. Some of the rooms are very bland and some of the rooms are way over the top ( the new owner could have to spend a fortune in paint to get rid of some of them colours). I dont think the furnishings suit the house at all.

They'll be buying magnolia paint by the vat load :)

A very stylised house.

I don't mean any disrespect to the men, but I do wonder about overly girly houses....if I attempted a fraction of that house I'd be given my p45 :D the oh would not entertain it at all.....good job I'm not a real princess :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭appledrop

The first bungalow was absolutely outstanding, one of my favourites of whole season.

So different and textures were amazing.

Very annoyed judges couldn't see that.

2nd house was horrific. Is this what's in trend and popular, well if it is I give up! I'm sick of these houses this season. Mish mash mess.

Now I'm sorry but I don't get the 3rd house. The hall was bare, the carpet on stairs was awful like threadbare student accommodation. Living room similarly bare, mix between a waiting room with those awful chairs or student house that not enough money to fill with furniture and sure throw your bike on the wall!

The only part I liked was kitchen which judges didn't.

My outright winner is the little bungalow from way back with the amazing storage and use of space!

They'll be buying magnolia paint by the vat load :)

A very stylised house.

I don't mean any disrespect to the men, but I do wonder about overly girly houses....if I attempted a fraction of that house I'd be given my p45 :D the oh would not entertain it at all.....good job I'm not a real princess :D

Princess I totally agree. One a few weeks back I was convinced the husband didn't sleep in same room it was so girly and the bed did look small so I'd say I'm right.

appledrop wrote: »
    Princess I totally agree. One a few weeks back I was convinced the husband didn't sleep in same room it was so girly and the bed did look small so I'd say I'm right.

I think I know the one you're talking about....pink bedroom wasn't it.

It's as if every single item they liked on pinterest they absolutely had to have, rather than picking one or two key pieces.

With a boudoir/bordello style less is definitely more!

Here we go, I swear to god if that Limerick house wins I'm never watching this programme again.

My money is on the double story Dublin house belonging to the couple.

My money is on the double story Dublin house belonging to the couple.

I think you could be right but I didn't like that one.

I want the little cottage to win!

Yipeeeeeeee!

My favourite, amazing little cottage.

appledrop wrote: »
    I think you could be right but I didn't like that one.

I want the little cottage to win!

Ok so I was wrong. But I'm delighted I too wanted the cottage to win. :):D

The double story house was a beautiful house but it could be a much nicer space.

I think it's great they gave it to the little house. More achievable and relatable for some many people than these big $$$$ houses.

I have a feeling she knew though. Her reactions were not very spontaneous.

Aw I’m delighted! I loved it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Feel like she knew too, she straight for the trophy!

The double story house was a beautiful house but it could be a much nicer space.

I think it's great they gave it to the little house. More achievable and relatable for some many people than these big $$$$ houses.

LillySV wrote: »
    Feel like she knew too, she straight for the trophy!

LOL did she, I didn't;t see that bit.

I just thought when they called her as the second finalist, it was really obvious she already knew. Same when they announced the winner.

In fairness it would be hard to act all natural under those circumstances and be all 'Oh wow! No way!!'

What do they win? Just a trophy? Do they get any dosh or anything?

LOL did she, I didn't;t see that bit.

I just thought when they called her as the second finalist, it was really obvious she already knew. Same when they announced the winner.

In fairness it would be hard to act all natural under those circumstances and be all 'Oh wow! No way!!'

What do they win? Just a trophy? Do they get any dosh or anything?

It’s all about the glory. Innit.

Glad that my two favourites were in the top two. I liked the cork house as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Feel like she knew too, she went straight for the trophy!

I do forget how tedious the final episode is.

Delighted she won.

I think with no partners family etc meant the atmosphere was fairly lacking.

Wish they showed the cottage in more detail after it won.

Delighted with the winner. It's called Home of the Year and I would definitely like to live in a home like that. So creative and functional, the chimney was a stroke of genius. As you said Princess, I'd love to have seen the house in detail again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Does anyone know which episode the winning House was in, would like to go back and have another look.
    The final is a bit tedious though, not engaging at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Newbie20

The final episode could surely be done better. It feels rushed and we don’t get a proper look back at the houses. There’s no proper structure to it at all. Maybe some sort of voting system or something would be better. Crazy that we don’t get a final look at the winning house at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭deisemum

Delighted with the house that won. Although a small house it was full of character and creativity. I think a lot of the big houses are very similar.

I think it's how the show was edited that may have made the winner look like she knew she won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭No Bills

Birdsong wrote: »
    Does anyone know which episode the winning House was in, would like to go back and have another look...
    Episode 2, February 23rd.

Advertisement