Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home of the Year RTE 1 - 8.30pm Tuesdays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Yay!!! That was the one I preferred!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The 70's house! Sure why not?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I'd live in any of the housesbut not the 70s house...

Yay!!! That was the one I preferred!

Yes we know....HELEN! :pac:

Next week looks like they visit a sauna :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

If you had that 70's kitchen in the 70's you were rich !
    Actually the 'English Rose' kitchen comes from the early 1950s. It was made out of aluminium to use up stocks left over after the war.
    Helen correctly identified it but didn't comment further.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just catching up now.

OMG the first house :eek: You'd want to be on drugs to live there - or if you weren't you'd definitely wind up on them! Cool idea, obviously a huge amount of effort went into creating that - but live in it? No thank you! I'd be in a padded cell within six months.

I'm halfway through watching the second house. Gorgeous setting (I'm a sucker for water of any kind, so a house perched over a river like that is my idea of heaven). Really gorgeous exterior - I'd be a long time guessing it was a new build. Inside - it's lovely, but the big fella (I cannot get the hang of their names!) was right about all the couches in the bay windows pointing in - shocking waste of views! Dunno how you go about avoiding that - maybe one of those circular "conversation seats" that you see in old hotels in the middle of the room :D Anyway, I wouldn't be keeping my back to those views, that's for sure!

I'll be interested to see what else they have to say about it. I wouldn't be writing home about the interior, but it's lovely. (not hard after house no. 1!)

Love love love their duvet cover!

On the random jibes at the presenters front - would she STOP SAYING WOOOOOWWWWWW! Hers and the big fella's accents are really grating on me - they used to give out about Lorraine Keane and her DORT accent - this pair would leave her in the hal'penny place. And what's ORTHenticity? :confused:

Right, now I've got that lot off my chest, back to the programme.

House no. 3. Love the idea of the tower room as a getaway - but oh boy those window seats look mightily uncomfortable :eek: I'd be wanting to install a Lazy Boy in that room. (only joking!)

Gawd, now I'm the biggest dog-lover in the world - but the preponderence of dogs in that house is just plain OTT.

Love their bedspread as well!

Ooof, watching the replay at the end - I'd dock marks off that first house just for the exterior - appalling pastiche stuff that I HATE!

Gawd, surprised by that low score for house no. 2! And 3!

Psychedelia won out tonight. Now where did I leave me acid tabs :D

Right, back to see what everyone else thought.

Lisha wrote: »
    A psychedelic migraine house, a chintzy but lovely house and now next looks like a doggy worshiping house!!
    Tbh is difficult to score against each other when they are sooo dramatically different..

The words I was desperately searching for :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

On catch up-70's house not for me.
    Helen's use of the word "wow" wrecking my head. Think the other two presenters are great.

The owner of the 70's house was the Saturday Night Show tonight playing tambourine for Mundy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

What the judges want is originality. If the house looks like it has been decorated by shopping in Avoca ( no 2 ) it won't win. That's why the psychadelia house won. Strange they didn't get the concept of the 'quiet' bedroom ?

Only came in halfway through the first house. I loved it!
    Bet you Declan gives it a 10.

I really don't like this second house. It's just not my style at all.

Half a kitchen in one room and half in the other :eek:

:confused:

'twas cute though

I really love that first house

The cob house is going to win. That was my least favourite :o by a mile

But I guess they are right about the work that went into it

Talking to myself here :( Might have to head over to Twitter to find some HOTY friends

• Advertisement

Appreciated cob house creativity but would not live in it. Reminded me of that fantastic Grand Designs house made in the forest which Kevin McCloud loved.

Yes I guess it was an incredible piece of work, but you couldn't pay me to live in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Loooove the cob house, it's adorable... I would love to stay in it for a night or two, then head back to my nice, normal house!

Just caught surfer house-I'm sure it was featured recently in Times supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,972 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

When does this go up on RTE Player?

Last week I think I watched it on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

I've seen the surfer house featured in quite a few interior design magazines now. I think it's cliched with all the knick knacks and doesn't bring anything fresh to the table. Even the extension I could have designed myself. It's been done so many times.

I prefered the other two houses better. Like another poster stated, the cob house could win, it's very original and the fact it was built by the owners is unique.

Does anyone know if they featured any houses in Donegal? I've missed a good few weeks now.

Quazzie wrote: »
    When does this go up on RTE Player?

There is a repeat on Sunday at 5.30 if of any use to you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Much better quality this week.

Think id be hacked off a bit if I owned the cottage to see what beat it to the final in previous weeks.....

• Advertisement

Christ, I seriously don't know if I'm going to last the series listening to those plummy accents :mad: They cannot possibly have grown up talking like that.

And more WOWs and AMAAAAAYYYZINGs.

Love the first cottage, that must be one of the first I've seen that I could actually live in. And those views - holy moly! But there was one wall that had a glass door and a smallish window high up..... would they not have gone for more glass? Maybe it was a decision to have "postcards" of the views - but if that was out there, I'd want to see the lot!

Cob house - hmmm. Too much handcut wood bits for my liking - I love handmade wood pieces, but a whole house full of them? No thanks. But that staircase - yes please. And I can tell that I'd be craving a straight line after six months (if I lasted that long). Looked like a wibbly wobbly wonder gone wrong, really.

Thatched house - where is that woman's accent from??? It certainly ain't Connemara! House is a bit... twee? Not sure that's the right word, but while it's lovely, it's a bit magazine-y for my liking. And that split kitchen - what on earth was she thinking??? That white bedroom is like a cell :eek:

My overall impression of this series is beginning to cement now - it's a pale, very poor relation of the NI series House Of The Year, and these presenters talk some unbelievable amount of ****e. Only my irredeemable nosiness when it comes to other people's houses is keeping me tuned in at this stage.

AND WOULD SHE EVER STOP SAYING WOOOWWWW:mad::mad::mad:!

Advertisement