Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dog seems upset and off food

• 26-03-2015 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

On Tuesday we adopted the newest member of our family.

She's a 3 year old German Shepherd x Husky Cross.

I took her to the vets today to get checked & chipped and vet confirmed she's in perfect health and gave her all her boosters.

She seems to be off her food and vet said she could be pining?

I have been giving her boiled chicken breast and mince to encourage her to eat but she's only nibbling.

I know sheps can have very sensitive tummy but any of you have any ideas how I can entice her to eat some more?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Where did you get her from?

Maybe it's just going to take time to settle in. If the vet is happy then just offer very small meals a few times a day and that might encourage her to eat. Don't give a huge bowl of food, just a few mouthfuls and it might be easier to eat it and work up an appetite.

How is her overall demeanour? Is she in good form other than that?

My German Shepherd goes off her food now and then. Once she is taking some water and it doesn't last several days, it should be ok.
    Once she was in kennels for one night. She refused to eat for a whole week after. We were getting very worried but in the end it took a lot of pampering her and walks.
    If the vet has given her the ok, give it a few more days, even if she is nibbling, that's something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

She was living beside a farm and the farmer had thought she killed some of his sheep and threatened her.

Her owner was a friend of a friend and we agreed to take her.

Her temperament is surprisingly calm for all the upheaval she has gone through. She's a absolute dote.
    Even the vet commented on her sweet nature.

She's a good weight at 37 kg and she is going in to be spayed next week as shockingly this was never done.

I'm hand feeding her bits of chicken at the minute while she lazes in front of the fire so a happy doggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭HarrietD

Give her more time. It is very early days for her and a very different environment. It was a really nice thing you did for her as sheep worrying is such a serious problem. Would you not delay the spaying until she is feeling more at home with you? It could be very stressful for her until she learns to trust you.

HarrietD wrote: »
    Give her more time. It is very early days for her and a very different environment. It was a really nice thing you did for her as sheep worrying is such a serious problem. Would you not delay the spaying until she is feeling more at home with you? It could be very stressful for her until she learns to trust you.

Do you think delaying it would benefit her? I really want her to feel comfortable with us and would hate to do anything to jeopardise that.

Even a week or 2 more would that help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭HarrietD

Kaylami wrote: »
    Do you think delaying it would benefit her? I really want her to feel comfortable with us and would hate to do anything to jeopardise that.

Even a week or 2 more would that help?

I don't really know - chat to your vet. I know when my dog was spayed she understandably felt sorry for herself and needed minding. When she doesn't know you properly it is an additional stress I think. The fact that she is 3 and not spayed until now it won't make any difference if you leave it a little while longer once you confine her if she goes into heat. In a week or two she may be eating you out of house and home and more settled and better able to deal with an operation.

Thanks for that.

It was on the vets recommendation I booked her in to get done.

I never looked at it from the point of view that she'll be sore and upset might be better to wait.

I'll just take each day at a time and keep feeding her a little at a time.

Hopefully she feels content with us soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Our dog started to pine ( and lose a little weight ) after the wife took up some work and the dog was left alone for a bit for a few days running , back to normal now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

I am self employed and have always worked from home. I am starting a contract soon where I will have to work in the office 4 days a week 9-5! I am dreading it because she just waits for me when I am gone and wont eat or play! She will be with my Mam and Brother but any time I am out she stays in bed waiting and when I get home she is full of life! Just hope she adjusts ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Everything is new to her, so give her some time to settle. You and your home are strange to her, she is probably a bit anxious and worried with all the new scents, her routine is totally changed and that is tough on her. Lots of quite time and stroking and treats and gentle voices. Try to get her in to a routine as soon as possible. Lots of short walks to get her used to you and her new environment. If it were me, I would wait until she was happily settled before spaying her. Why would you add soreness and possible that dreaded cone to her life when she is not quite settled in with you. She needs to build up her trust with you. I would definately put it off for a few weeks. Do you know when she is next due to come in season? If its not very soon, there would be absolutely no harm in waiting until she is more settled and comfortable before having her spayed.

I wish you many happy years with your new dog. They are such beautiful dogs, and cant be so gentle and loving :)

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your advice.
    She's like a different dog today much more content and trying to eat me out of house and home.

Still only giving her small meals till her tummy is right.

I spoke to the vet today re waiting to spay and she is happy enough that we will do it once she settles.

Once again thanks everyone.

Advertisement