Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grooming advice (Newfie)

• 26-03-2015 9:33pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Slobber--yep slobber the bane of my life.
    Its on the walls,ceilings,doors--absolutely everywhere.Its one of our 5 a day at this stage.

Ah but shes cute.

Anyways--Her chest area..Can anyone tell me the easiest or best brush to keep it mat free.The slobber just congeals in there and even a few hours after brushing her when it dries in its like trying to remove concrete (actually like trying to remove chewing gum from hair would be a better description)

Ive even tried bandanss to keep her clean but they just end up like a wet rag around her neck.

Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Isn't there bibs for Newfies? I know somebody with one and remember him saying he'd ordered some lol! :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thast what I meant--I tried the bibs--well basically bandanas are the biggest I could find.

They are worse.Its easier to put up with the slobber than start washing bibs every day!!!

Its a few years since Ive had to do that!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You can get (or make) oilskin bibs for Newfies that you can just wipe.

Failing that? A decent long-pin slicker to try to keep the mats down!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You can get (or make) oilskin bibs for Newfies that you can just wipe.

Failing that? A decent long-pin slicker to try to keep the mats down!
    What's a long pin slicker??

$_35.JPG

Something like this. I just picked one up for my Shih Tzu whilst at Crufts. They're fairly easy to get. eBay is a good place to look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

^ Slicker brush.

Don't know if that would have much of an impact personally but worth a try!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Short pin slickers on a Newfie coat would have little effect. It's almost like have a gnat bite on an elephant's bum!! That's why I suggested a long pin brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Maybe tackling the area with thinning shears might help? Give the drool less hair to clump to so it is easier to brush out, but keep the coat looking even? What do you think?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

We once tried (horse) mane spray as a sort of conditioner on our Bobtail and Beardie ...gave that up as it was just too slippery and shiny, sort of like teflon hairspray and made them very artificial looking.
    That might just do the trick on your Newf's chest to prevent the concrete from setting :D

Advertisement