Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cod Liver Oil For Dogs ?????

• 26-03-2015 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Someone I know is giving their dog a tablespoon of cod liver oil through the dog's food once or twice a week. The dog has a very shiny healthy coat which I assume is partially down to the cod liver oil.

Is it OK to give it to dogs or should it be avoided? My mum has a one year old male Jack Russel and I was thinking of putting one tablespoon a week through his food.

Advice and feedback appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

yeah, it's fine, we give ours Sardines once or twice a week, just for the oils

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

Thanks for the quick reply, scudzilla.

I've been giving him sardines in sunflower oil once or twice a week too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Salmon oil is a better oil to give if you want to give a fish oil.

andreac wrote: »

Thanks, andreac.

Can you get Salmon Oil in Tescos, etc or is it only available from pet stores?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The Th!ng wrote: »
    Thanks, andreac.

No you would have to get it online. Try healthy hounds. They are based up north but deliver. I feed my 3 Rotties salmon oil on their food and they have great coats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

andreac wrote: »

Salmon oil for the win!!!

We get ours from zooplus.ie (along with our food) so delivery is free.

A raw egg, some sardines/mackerel or a nice (but totally gross) fish head - all part of their diet. Coats look great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

The Th!ng wrote: »
    Thanks, andreac.

Maxi zoo stock it... But it's better and cheaper online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I used to give mine cod liver oil until I read somewhere it wasn't a good idea to give him it long term. Now I give him coconut oil, and he does very well on it. A half teaspoon melted into his food does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

We have been recommended by the vet to give a spoon of cod liver oil daily for arthritis and joint suppleness.
    Young dog (4/5) but xray shows sign s of arthritis.
    Anyone any opinions or resources they'd suggest reading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I know this isn't reading material but i give my guy luposan pellets each day and salmon oil... he has had bad joints since around 7 (mainly his shoulders) .. and these both help massively.. here's what i buy:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/supplements_specialty_food/bones_joints/luposan/129097

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/fur_skin_supplements/127318

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

You have to be careful with cod liver oil because of the Vit A and Vit D content. That's why fish oil (from the whole fish, not just its liver) is safer if you're not going to be accurate with dosage.

Thanks for the clarification, boomerang.

I'm planning on only giving him a few tablespoons of Salmon oil a week, not one every day.

Advertisement