Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worming pup query

• 26-03-2015 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Gave my 4 month old pup a worm tablet with his supper at 8.30 pm.
    He has just now thrown up so my question is " will the worm dose now be void and have to be repeated or will it have gone through ok in 2 hours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hmmm you might need to worm again but don't do anything until you check with your vet.
    Just give them a ring tomorrow and ask their advice as you don't want to risk over dosing either with such a young pup.

What wormer Did you use if you don't mind me asking?
    It's not a bob Martin One is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭hughjohn

andreac wrote: »
    Hmmm you might need to worm again but don't do anything until you check with your vet.
    Just give them a ring tomorrow and ask their advice as you don't want to risk over dosing either with such a young pup.

What wormer Did you use if you don't mind me asking?
    It's not a bob Martin One is it?

Yes it was B M actually. Is there something I should know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Pardon my ignorance... But isn't a puppy wormer normally a liquid (like parazole) given over a few days?

Like under 6 months? I thought the tablet doses were for older dogs. But... I could be wrong.

Did the vet prescribe it? My two were sick after their last dose. Pretty common. Best check with vet if enough time had elapsed...

Bob Martin isn't very good at all. I've heard a lot of bad things about their products.
    You really should get your wormer from your vet. Anything like that shouldn't be bought in a shop or supermarket as it is much safer to get it from your vet.

Puppy is not always liquid hooked. You can get tablet form. Drontal really is the best wormer you can get so I would stick to that one from your vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Puppy is not always liquid hooked. You can get tablet form. Drontal really is the best wormer you can get so I would stick to that one from your vet.

Thanks Andreac

Hooked wrote: »
    Thanks Andreac

But liquid would be more common for very young pups. I used liquid on my litter then moved to tablets once they got older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Milbemax is even better - it has the broadest spectrum. But of course it's also a bit more expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Parazole is actually a really good wormer. It also has a broad spectrum. It is not as harsh on a puppy as Drontal. My vets sell Parazole instead of Drontal now. You can also use it on a pregnant bitch whereas Drontal is not recommended.

I use Milbemax or Cestem on the adults.

Not as broad spectrum as Milbemax though and it doesn't treat the tapeworm Dipylidium caninum, commonly found in dogs with fleas. I'd always use Parazole as the initial wormer for pups and kittens though. Anyhoo it's very important to rotate wormers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

boomerang wrote: »
    Not as broad spectrum as Milbemax though and it doesn't treat the tapeworm Dipylidium caninum, commonly found in dogs with fleas. I'd always use Parazole as the initial wormer for pups and kittens though. Anyhoo it's very important to rotate wormers. :)

Thats exactly what I do. If I have rescue puppies/kittens I find Parazole fantastic for them. Drontal can be fairly harsh. I have puppies due in 2 weeks & will start them on Parazole at 14 days old. I never stick to the same wormer for adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

Knine wrote: »
    Parazole is actually a really good wormer. It also has a broad spectrum.

Depends entirely on the dose and duration used, fenbendazole (active ingredient in "Parazole") only is at its broadest spectrum when used 50 milligrams per kilogram of bodyweight for 10 consecutive days every 3 months (once older than 6 months).

Important to note that this drug may cause bone marrow hypoplasia, and could contribute towards anthelmintic resistance in general if used inappropriately.

Not as broad spectrum as Milbemax though and it doesn't treat the tapeworm Dipylidium caninum

If used correctly fenbendazole has 60-70% efficacy against Dipylidium caninum.

Depends entirely on the dose and duration used, fenbendazole (active ingredient in "Parazole") only is at its broadest spectrum when used 50 milligrams per kilogram of bodyweight for 10 consecutive days every 3 months (once older than 6 months).

Do you happen to have any reading material/internet links where I can read more about this?

Some vets are saying using fenben is pointless due to anti-helminthic resistance, but the only studies I've found on that relate to farm animals in the US.

Do you happen to have any reading material/internet links where I can read more about this?

Please find here independent objective advice that is up to date and relevant for the UK and Ireland.

Have that already, information on anti-helminthic resistance in the document is very brief. Can you help me with any more links?

"To date there are few proven cases of anthelmintic resistance in dogs and cats. At present there is no way of
    detecting anthelmintic resistance in dogs or cats other than the faecal egg-count reduction test. It is desirable
    that more sensitive tests including molecular techniques are developed to allow monitoring of continued
    efficacy."

Advertisement