Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone listen to Classical Music?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Yes, many good ones have been mentioned. I love it. Like to add Smetana to it, particularly his piece the Moldau (Moldau is a river in today's Czech Republic). When he wrote it he was already deaf but you can just imagine the river starting of as a small spring and growing majestically, the falls, and then the quieter areas again. Smetana clearly loved his country and the piece is actually from his work Ma Vlast (My Country):

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

nothing like a bit of Beethoven on a Friday night with the lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Give me some Mozart or Beethoven over No Direction or Tayler fluckin Swift any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Very partial to Faure and Rachmaninov. Bit of Satie, too. Delibes' Lakme is about the only opera I care for, and I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

fiachr_a wrote: »
    . That guy off Grafton St playing the spoons has more talent than most of these middle-class music students in Irish universities doing everything 'right'.

I think not.

Yes. Subjective in terms of how much enjoyment it gives you. But objectivity does not excuse the emperor's new clothes weakness in modern classical music. Lots of people enjoy Westlife's music from their perspective. That still doesnt mean its any good though.

What weakness in modern classical music ? The best of the modern stuff easily bears comparison with the greats of the past.

90% of it is probably rubbish and won't stand the test of time , but that is just like all classical music through the ages . There are 1000's of operas but only a couple of hundred in the repertoire , same with the other genres - symphonic, chamber, solo.

It is just fashionable to knock the modern stuff, but what is the point of just doing variations on Clair de Lune or The Swan , particularly as we have the soundtrack industry for that . Over 300 films using the Debussy piece at the last count.

Never knock originality , you might miss the Beethoven of our time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I love listening to it occasionally, it's very relaxing but don't know enough about it to be able to pick out a CD I'd like for the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh8q6CfhjtI

This has me mesmerised. Glenn gould is the master.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

marienbad wrote: »
    What weakness in modern classical music ? The best of the modern stuff easily bears comparison with the greats of the past.

90% of it is probably rubbish and won't stand the test of time , but that is just like all classical music through the ages . There are 1000's of operas but only a couple of hundred in the repertoire , same with the other genres - symphonic, chamber, solo.

It is just fashionable to knock the modern stuff, but what is the point of just doing variations on Clair de Lune or The Swan , particularly as we have the soundtrack industry for that . Over 300 films using the Debussy piece at the last count.

Never knock originality , you might miss the Beethoven of our time.

There is more than enough top quality music to last most normal people a lifetime and more. No need to go looking for the Beethoven of our time and risk wading through 99% dross. Life is too short. We have enough already.

Sure, compose away and keep the kids happy with drivel and the soundtrack of their era. But its ephemeral and worthless in the bigger scheme.

Good music is so fricking darned cheap these days too - bought the Brilliant Classics box set of 66 Vivaldi cds last week. Super music. Super playing. For pennies. Everyone should have it.

There is more than enough top quality music to last most normal people a lifetime and more. No need to go looking for the Beethoven of our time and risk wading through 99% dross. Life is too short. We have enough already.

Sure, compose away and keep the kids happy with drivel and the soundtrack of their era. But its ephemeral and worthless in the bigger scheme.

Good music is so fricking darned cheap these days too - bought the Brilliant Classics box set of 66 Vivaldi cds last week. Super music. Super playing. For pennies. Everyone should have it.

With that attitude there is more than enough of everything , books, music ,film , in fact all creative works . Imagine if Beethoven or Vivaldi had thought like that ? Why bother as we can't improve on Monteverdi or Bach ?

And people thought Beethoven was drivel also, and Joyce, Stravinsky, Matisse,Godard . What a poor would it would be .

'We have enough already' - what a frightening attitude :eek:

And what makes you think it is drivel ? Lots of people think that adjective is more appropriate to Vivaldi .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Im Part-ial to a bit of Arvo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I dont have any on my ipod, but I do like classical music and it must be down to hearing famous pieces in movie soundtracks. Some modern day music artists use famous samples of classical music. Movies, TV and even computer games are known for using Classical/Opera music in their work.

Maybe classical music is your thing.

What Classical/Opera music do you like?

I'll get the ball rolling with two well known.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The Arnie Conan the Barbarian movie has a great orchestral soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Charlie19 wrote: »
    What Classical/Opera music do you like?

I'm not sure if it's classed as classical music but the soundtrack to Braveheart is pretty awesome - especially this bit which gives me goosebumps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The Ride of the Valkyries: a soundtrack to any invasion as per Apocalypse Now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The one Ric Flair composed for his entrance theme...and the one Old spice commissioned for their ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Surprised no-one mentioned Nessum Dorma!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Mod

Two similar threads merged

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The one Ric Flair composed for his entrance theme...and the one Old spice commissioned for their ads.

This?

I do know it, I might not be able to name it and I certainly wouldn't be linking it with Rick flair or old spice, but yeah I know it:)

@McChubbin I really like that one, it reminds me of the 1990 World cup, It be more the Pavoritti version though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I love listening to it occasionally, it's very relaxing but don't know enough about it to be able to pick out a CD I'd like for the car.

The problem is that classical music doesnt work very well in the car because its played in such a way that the volume isnt consistent, it goes up and down, unlike modern music that maintains a pretty constant volume level.

There is a radio station in Sleeping Dogs a PS4 game I've just got into, that is all dedicated to Classical music and thats what gave me the idea for the thread, not knowing there was a thread already here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Turtyturd wrote: »

Rick Flair certainly didn't compose his entrance theme, that was by Richard Strauss. It was also famously used in Stanley Kubrick's film 2001: A Space Odyssey

The Old Spice ad is O Fortuna by Carl Orff

I'll leave you with something by Maneul de Falla called Ritual Fire Dance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Dinu Lipatti playing Chopin:

• Advertisement

The last movement of Shostakovich's fifth symphony is amazing.

From Prokofiev's ballet Romeo and Juliet, the Dance of the Knights, and Juliet's entrance:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber - magic.
    - anyone remember it in the movie 'Platoon'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We went to the first performance of the new Cork Concert Orchestra on Saturday.

They opened with Mendelssohn's Fingals Cave, went on to the Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia by Khachaturian, then Smetana's Moldau and finished with Dvořák's New World Symphony.

Very, very beautiful all round.

In the Hall of the Mountain King by Edvard Grieg, another tune beloved of advertising agencies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

There are times however when classical music disappears up its own a**e. This is 4'33" by John Cage or as I like to call it "Cough in A minor"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

McChubbin wrote: »
    Surprised no-one mentioned Nessum Dorma!

FPheck, thats viiiiiile ! :eek:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrghhh.....................

There are times however when classical music disappears up its own a**e. This is 4'33" by John Cage or as I like to call it "Cough in A minor"

That is a beautiful perfomance. Pacing is excellent. Explores the work, and presents a questioning yet respectful view of it. 2'14" - 2'53" is as good as I have heard in any recording, studio or live.
    Crowd really deserved an encore of the final 32".

Eileen Ivors' playful version of Pachelbel's Frolics, used to illustrate a film of sea hares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw8PurepHxk&feature=player_detailpage

I love this was sampled by little mix as others have said some classical music is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

ofcork wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw8PurepHxk&feature=player_detailpage

I love this was sampled by little mix as others have said some classical music is brilliant.

This was the theme music for the world cup finals in France '98 - brings back memories of some good times every time I hear it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If Béla Bartók sounds a bit like King Crimson - or should that be the other way round? - it's not a coincidence. :D

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Best recognised as the UEFA Champions League Anthem. It's spine tingling when you hear it in a massive stadium surrounded by tens of thousands of people.

The Champions League one is slightly different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's nothing like experiencing a Symphony Orchestra live. I was at the National Concert Hall last Friday night, the program was:

1) Greig: Peer Gynt Suite No. 1. This was the highlight of the evening for me: I've heard the piece before, but not like this. Lots of subtle detail in there. In the final (famous) part, the bass drum started off basically subsonic, so you didn't as much hear it as feel it in the guts.

2) Nielsen Clarinet Concerto with soloist Julian Bliss. I hadn't heard of him before, but he's apparently a Big Deal in the Clarinet world, and still only in his 20s. Extremely technical playing, a piece he's also recorded, but he uses a synthetic clarinet (which he co-designed) and the tone was a bit harsh, I thought.

3) Sibelius' Symphony No. 1: not one I'd heard before. I don't know if Sibelius' later work is better, but this was harsh stuff with heavy percussion and what seemed, to me, to be a lot of complexity for complexity's sake. I don't think I'm going to be much of a fan of his, or of late-late Romantic period overall.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have a piano thing on Spotify that I listen to sometimes at night. Very relaxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Ya can't bate a bitta classical music when your Brahams Liszt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

I love this soundtrack! There are some gems on it. The whole soundtrack is on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

bnt wrote: »
    3) Sibelius' Symphony No. 1: not one I'd heard before. I don't know if Sibelius' later work is better, but this was harsh stuff with heavy percussion and what seemed, to me, to be a lot of complexity for complexity's sake. I don't think I'm going to be much of a fan of his, or of late-late Romantic period overall.

Sibelius is a composer I've tried unsuccessfully to like, just can't warm to him at all...but 'Finlandia' is a stormer!

Advertisement