Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork South Central in Next General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,482 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Blackie, as a citizen of Cork South Central, I think you are setting a very high standard for your public reps. Most constituences in the country would be well pleased if they had the calibre of some of your candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

Im against the manifestos of these canditates -this country is corrupt and run by civil servants not these bluffers,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I think we voted for the same candidate :)

Was that Dave McCarthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

mikeym wrote: »
    If Sinn Fein get a seat in Cork South Central it will be one of the big shocks in the election.

If it still were a 5 seater Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire would definitely get a seat.

Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire is expected to get Buttimer's seat so wouldn't actually be a shock at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭CZ 453

It looks like Donnchadh will get the 4th seat now. Buttimer's movement will have hurt him and Lynch's party perception will do the damage to him. It's a tough one really as both Buttimer and Lynch have done a good bit at national level. Donnachadh on the other hand has done trojan work in the local community(Togher). Really looking forward to the counts on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire is expected to get Buttimer's seat so wouldn't actually be a shock at all.

Yeah but historically Sinn Fein have never done well in Cork South Central or have had little or no transfer votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

murphym7 wrote: »
    Was that Dave McCarthy?

Yep. Don't know him at all or anything but he seemed sane at the time. No one decent running as independent this time.

Polling reported as busy in most stations. Great to hear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,911 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Really looking foward to the count, prediction is I fully expect Ó Laoighre to get in, Buttimer won't and Mick Finn will do very well considering the calibre of TD's in his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Really looking foward to the count, prediction is I fully expect Ó Laoighre to get in, Buttimer won't and Mick Finn will do very well considering the calibre of TD's in his way.

I think buttimer v o laoighre will come down to transfers, which SF won't do well on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Almost neck and neck on 1st Prefs, Buttimer to get in on transfers is my bet. Finn not doing as well as some predicted.

http://pentagoncomputers.com/elect2016/csc.pdf

Mushy wrote: »
    I think buttimer v o laoighre will come down to transfers, which SF won't do well on.

Ya know I thought the same until I thought It a bit more. There are a lot of votes for anti-everything independents who will transfer to sinn fein more than fine gael. It'll be very interesting either way to watch it unfold later.

Based on above, Buttimer is actually doing quite well. Take a look at the second preference picture on the RTE exit poll
    000bdb43-614.jpg

Tally with half boxes open

Screen_Shot_2016_02_27_at_11_04_57.png

100% tallied

Screen_Shot_2016_02_27_at_12_27_45.png

FF tallymen predicting Buttimer FG could edge out O'Laoghaire SF for last seat on Lab transfers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

CZ 453 wrote: »
    FF tallymen predicting Buttimer FG could edge out O'Laoghaire SF for last seat on Lab transfers

Deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Would Finn's vote not be expected to transfer more to SF though?

Its going to be tight for the 4th seat.

Could be a long night.

Hard to know. He was with Fianna Fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

how did Finn transfer in 2011 think o Leary at got aa good few
    But lynch will either make or break buttimer

Be a shame if Jerry loses out, especially to populist nonsense SF. Decent hard working skin.

Looks like we will find out the outcome tomorrow.

Simon Coveney hasnt been officially elected yet which is surprising.

Buttimer will get the Renua transfers and Labours aswell.

Its going to be a close one.

620 votes is a lot to claw back in transfers. More independents/AAA/PBP/GP to come and they may favour O Laoighaire. This could get very close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Whatever way it goes, i already expect a recount to be requested. Could be another few days in it yet.

Ciaran Kenneally of Renua has been eliminated. Votes being distributed.

With Kenny likely to step down now, what are the chances of Coveney becoming Fine Gael leader? I assume Varadkar would be favourite but Coveney would probably be second in line. It would be a bit strange for both main party leaders to come from the same constituency outside Dublin though so that would probably work against him. Could be another interesting thing to watch when the counts are finished though.

Huge gap between him and the SF kid, Transfers from the Greens and Lab vital ,

http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/constituencies/cork-south-central/

sozbox wrote: »
    Huge gap between him and the SF kid, Transfers from the Greens and Lab vital ,

http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/constituencies/cork-south-central/

Lynch's 2's are crucial for Buttimer and that'll be just to keep him in it for Finns Transfers

• Advertisement

Buttimer concedes defeat

Advertisement