Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€50m Office block for South Terrace/Copley St.

Options
  • 27-03-2015 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭

To begin within the next few months.Jasus,I cant keep up with all these developments.

CBDIA_FWsAA7FUw.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Cool. Kinda looks like a Hi-Fi system.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Any idea who the developer is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Thats a weird looking building, I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

To begin within the next few months.Jasus,I cant keep up with all these developments.

Yeah you can say that again! Never seen so much growth in such a short space of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

CBDIA_FWsAA7FUw.jpg

Will look well in the floods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Great...
    But who is gonna fill all this office space?

Will the solicitors/accountants move out of the South Mall and leave it for the Cash for Gold merchants and Western Union Money Transfer shops or will Cork vie with Dublin for the the Googles/Paypals/Facebook and Twitter Head Offices?

The City Centre needs a boost so its welcome I guess...

The_Banker wrote: »
    Great...

Will the solicitors/accountants move out of the South Mall and leave it for the Cash for Gold merchants and Western Union Money Transfer shops or will Cork vie with Dublin for the the Googles/Paypals/Facebook and Twitter Head Offices?

Well you're certainly not going to attract likes of Google or Facebook if you don't have modern office blocks. Let's face it, Cork as it stands has the South Mall as it's main business district. It's totally outdated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Most of the new attractions have been in the suburbs. A thriving office community in the City is essential!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Great to see more development in that area, hopefully it includes some high spec residential space, i really do think there is a need for more city centre high spec apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The_Banker wrote: »
    Great...

There is a high demand, and low supply of high quality office space in Cork. The Albert Quay development has already pre-let and it's years from being finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 opencurtin

About time Cork started to wake up the Celtic tiger passed the city by where as in Dublin got every thing thanks to Berite
    I think all these developments on the keys should lead to the developments of the dockland which would really make Cork
    a very strong counter balance to over developed Dublin at least Simon Coveney is doing some great work for Cork I hope he becomes the next leader of FG then we can get our selves a luas Cork used to have a light rail system up until the 50s .
    The events center is the jewel in the Crown for Cork , Cork is going places at last and becoming the City it deserves to be the Capitol of the south ...

About time Cork started to wake up the Celtic tiger passed the city by where as Dublin got every thing thanks to Berite
    I think all these developments on the keys should lead to the developments of the dockland which would really make Cork
    a very strong counter balance to over developed Dublin at least Simon Coveney is doing some great work for Cork I hope he becomes the next leader of FG then we can get our selves a luas Cork used to have a light rail system up until the 50s .
    The events center is the jewel in the Crown for Cork , Cork is going places at last and becoming the City it deserves to be the Capitol of the south ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

cgcsb wrote: »
    There is a high demand, and low supply of high quality office space in Cork. The Albert Quay development has already pre-let and it's years from being finished.

One Albert Quay is to be finished by February 2016.They are not messing about.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/albert-quay-development-will-be-complete-by-next-february/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It actually is very good for Ireland to have at least two serious hub cities. Dublin is actually not benefiting from being over developed in a chaotic way. Having a counterbalance isn't a bad thing.

If you look at countries like Germany for example they've a lot of small and medium cities and a lot of sustainably sized hubs. The UK and France are really bad examples of massive over centralisation in their capital cities.

Even Spain has two huge cities and then lots of Dublin sized regional capitals that really make the place a lot more interesting

Ireland tends to suffer from Dublin and Down the country syndrome though. I find both Dubliners and rural Ireland dwellers seem to either not comprehend or can be downright hostile about other other irish cities!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Speaking of hubs.These buildings next to the bus station are to become a techhub for startups.

CBFYPEQWUAAYnUh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Speaking of hubs.These buildings next to the bus station are to become a techhub for startups.

CBFYPEQWUAAYnUh.jpg

Its great to see so much development happening in the city centre. well overdue, great to see a bit more life in town in the evenings during the week. there are some fabulous old buildings in town that are run down. hopefully more of the above buildings will get restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Ireland tends to suffer from Dublin and Down the country syndrome though. I find both Dubliners and rural Ireland dwellers seem to either not comprehend or can be downright hostile about other other irish cities!

I absolutely agree with this. I'm from Cork and live in Kilkenny and work with people from all over the country. The one thing I noticed when I moved here was what you mentioned above. The blinders come on to most people, with the general exception of the counties of Cork and neighbouring countries. They really only see Dublin and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Carrigdubh Holdings Limited trading as Alchemy Properties are listed as the developers behind it on the planning aplication. But from what I've researched it looks like Dairygold now own the site, as Alchemy properties which was a subsidiary of Reox Holdings, has gone into liquidation and Dairygold acquired the properties, it's very confusing so I'm not exactly sure who the developer is now. Here's a newspaper article explaining some of what I've found. http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/shareholders-will-take-250m-hit-from-roex-liquidation-30901767.html
    Besides all that I like the scheme, it definitely stands out from everything else and It makes good use of its location. It's definitely a huge improvement over whats there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

The echo had a different name for the developers of the brooks site cant recall it now.

Maybe it will float , lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

CBFYPEQWUAAYnUh.jpg

That's fantastic news, great to hear it. I'd heard one of them was to be a super pub / restaurant, but any development there is good.

Parnell Place is really starting to look fantastic, with the new paths and several new businesses opening up. (My only minor quibble - I'd have loved to have some kind of monument / sculpture at the middle junction, it's one of the few 5-way junctions in the city with great views in all directions. I guess it wasn't possible with the new layout). I'd love to see the boutique hotel development finished and opened too, would add to it again.

Back to the original building, great to see new developments coming, and at least it's not just another "big glass & metal cuboid". Hopefully we'll see a bit more work done on the quaysides (footpaths, railings etc) themselves to go along with the new riverside developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Another office block :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ugly baxter of a thing.

Cork is a commerce city what else would you expect there has to be a balance between retail and Office all major cites have that .
    I'd like to see the docks done next with a mix of office living and retail.

who_me wrote: »
    Hopefully we'll see a bit more work done on the quaysides (footpaths, railings etc) themselves to go along with the new riverside developments.

The quay walls are all being repaired as part of the flood defence project. As far as I know work is suppose to begin in 2106 at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Michael.. wrote: »
    The quay walls are all being repaired as part of the flood defence project. As far as I know work is suppose to begin in 2106 at some stage.

Sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Another office block :rolleyes:
    I know right, the city centre's been inundated with them the last ten years, it just seems to be one office block after another going up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

sounds like an election promise, in reality it will probably never happen until Patrick street is washed away

Dbu wrote: »
    sounds like an election promise, in reality it will probably never happen until Patrick street is washed away

I'm confused. Are you saying it'll never happen or it'll happen any day now..

;)

• Advertisement

Thanks! Just the quay walls, or the railings / paths as well? They're fairly rundown, and the path's dangerously narrow around there as well. Would be nice to see the nearby riverside wharf (if that's the right term) being repaired/replaced as well.

Advertisement