Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€50m Office block for South Terrace/Copley St.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

D'Agger wrote: »
    I know right, the city centre's been inundated with them the last ten years, it just seems to be one office block after another going up

Certainly the latest developments anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

who_me wrote: »
    I'm confused. Are you saying it'll never happen or it'll happen any day now..

;)

Probably never fully happen. The quay walls are not the cause of Cork flooding. The money ear marked for a proper flood defence has probably been spent on cycle lanes and renting range rover discoveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Nemanrio wrote: »
    It's not though, we've gone from zero developments to two confirmed office blocks (Albert Quay & this south terrace development), A convention centre (Beamish & Crawford) & a retail outlet, that will hopefully become more than just that (Capitol).
    TBQH - after years of nothing happening in Cork, I'm delighted to see development. If there's a stigma that office blocks are going to fail due to years of seeing buildings from the recession not get filled then I can somewhat understand it but the fact of the matter is, Cork has the ability to develop the city centre, office blocks will be part of that, and I doubt developers will be supplying offices unless there's a demand to be filled - take the Alberts quay development for example - they have 60% of the building filled before a shovel went into the ground.

I find it hilarious that somebody would be throwing rolleyes at an office development given the lack of office buildings in the city centre that could house relatively large companies, as though we've seen nothing but office blocks go up for the last while, when in reality, we've seen nothing go up for the past 10 years

D'Agger wrote: »
    It's not though, we've gone from zero developments to two confirmed office blocks (Albert Quay & this south terrace development), A convention centre (Beamish & Crawford) & a retail outlet, that will hopefully become more than just that (Capitol).
    TBQH - after years of nothing happening in Cork, I'm delighted to see development. If there's a stigma that office blocks are going to fail due to years of seeing buildings from the recession not get filled then I can somewhat understand it but the fact of the matter is, Cork has the ability to develop the city centre, office blocks will be part of that, and I doubt developers will be supplying offices unless there's a demand to be filled - take the Alberts quay development for example - they have 60% of the building filled before a shovel went into the ground.

I find it hilarious that somebody would be throwing rolleyes at an office development given the lack of office buildings in the city centre that could house relatively large companies, as though we've seen nothing but office blocks go up for the last while, when in reality, we've seen nothing go up for the past 10 years

As I said the latest developments have been office block related, I am not on about the last 10 years....

Personally I would prefer to see something other than office block being built. As is I don't venture into the city that much.

Has the examiner office/ boardwalk been filled yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

As I said the latest developments have been office block related, I am not on about the last 10 years....

Personally I would prefer to see something other than office block being built. As is I don't venture into the city that much.

What would you suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

something other than office blocks?? really... they will bring workers into the centre and hopefully a bit more life into town in the evenings. Have you ever gone into town after work like a Thursday evening the place is dead, some shops don't even bother staying open late on a Thursday cause there is no one around

Corkblowin wrote: »
    What would you suggest?

Good question, something recreational I'd imagine.
    something other than office blocks?? really... they will bring workers into the centre and hopefully a bit more life into town in the evenings. Have you ever gone into town after work like a Thursday evening the place is dead, some shops don't even bother staying open late on a Thursday cause there is no one around

More office blocks doesn't necessarily mean that it will bring more to the night life. After working in the city all week, office workers may want to get out of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

ofcork wrote: »
    The echo had a different name for the developers of the brooks site cant recall it now.

Was the name Agricola?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

More office blocks doesn't necessarily mean that it will bring more to the night life. After working in the city all week, office workers may want to get out of the city.

Actually, there is s direct correlation between office uses and night life. The more people employed in the city centre the more evening time activity there tends to be. The spin off from offices located in city centre locations is huge. It actually supports more recreational and food/entertainment uses. I am not sure why people woudl have an issue with new office schemes in the city centre - it's precisley what the city needs - which is people and activity.

mire wrote: »
    Actually, there is s direct correlation between office uses and night life. The more people employed in the city centre the more evening time activity there tends to be. The spin off from offices located in city centre locations is huge. It actually supports more recreational and food/entertainment uses. I am not sure why people woudl have an issue with new office schemes in the city centre - it's precisley what the city needs - which is people and activity.

Link?

I never stated I have an issue with it, it just seems all recent/potential developments have been office blocks.

Is the examiner office still empty? What about the old boardwalk restaurant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Link?

I never stated I have an issue with it, it just seems all recent/potential developments have been office blocks.

Is the examiner office still empty? What about the old boardwalk restaurant?

What do you suggest they build ?

Michael.. wrote: »
    What do you suggest they build ?

See a few posts above.

You didn't read the post then - I stated there's been nothing happening for ten years and something is better than nothing which I'm happy to see. Talking or not talking about the last ten years doesn't add or detract from your original point which is....
    Link?
    it just seems all recent/potential developments have been office blocks.

I've already pointed out that 50% of the nailed on developments for Cork in the next two years so I still don't see your point as being valid tbh - clearly not all of the latest developments have been office blocks. I certainly don't feel like we're being inundated by them anyway, one or two more being announced in the next while would definitely give me concern as per whether there's a big enough demand for them thought, that much I do admit.

I think this is what I find frustrating about your post. No problem with wanting something different, but at least have something different in mind. With the greatest of respect, coming in throwing a rolleyes at what's being done, then asking for change and then shrugging your shoulders when pressed on it isn't really enough here. Personally, something I'd love to see put in or around the city is an outdoor gym - now, I'm not talking weights, treadmills etc. - but something along the lines of the what I've linked would be nice to have around the place, promoting exercise & healthy living, whilst not being all that expensive to setup. I think, with the bike scheme, it would be a healthy initiative for the city.

Would be open to other suggestions here :)

Good point, it hasn't yet but you'd like to think that the addition of business offices to the docks with the Albert Quay development, will bring on that area. I wouldn't be suprised to see it filled by 2017. What I expect to come after the Albert Quay development, is an addition of amenities such as coffee shops, barbers - there's already an Aldi by the Elisium - if workers are around that area, business will follow in order to make profit - now, that's all going well I admit, there's no guarantee of success but historically, business follows business.

To give further information on where I'm coming from with the office blocks. I work for a company that's expanding, has been for a few years now and tbh we will most definitely be looking for a new office by 2016/2017 - moving into the city would be a big move, however, if business keeps going the way it has, I could definitely see us taking up residence in a new office block or a building like the examiner offices, or wherever can house us.

I recently looked up Commercial outlets for a business and there was nothing listed for the city centre that could house a company of say 150-200. Little Island and business parks outside of the city were the only real options. So to that end, and I'm only speaking from personal experience here, Cork has a number of companies that are growing - both Irish & multi nationals expanding - there is a demand there and while it may not be evident right now - I do firmly believe that in 2016/2017 we should see a rise in demand - the supply is being created now for that demand, therefore I don't see it as a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

bang on there D'agger. the current office supply in the city doesn't cater for many companies in the times we live in, a lot of these companies employ 100+ more how many of the buildings on south mail could accommodate this.

Nemanario - it does increase footfall in the evenings, be it browsing around the shops on payday, meeting friends for dinner/coffee( if coffee shops started opening a bit later)

Id say it wont be long till there is a placement for the boardwalk. With the albert quay site finished and almost has full occupancy already.. a nice target market for lunch/ after work dinners

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

Most of the recent major developments are not "office blocks" Construction has just started on redeveloping Pairc Ui Choimh, The Beamish event center looks likely to go ahead and the old Capitol will be mixed use with an empasis on being a food hub. All developments create employment, both temporary and permanent, I for one welcome any development that creates jobs and helps regenerate our city.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Big Developments in Cork
    Event centre - Non office
    Old Capitol Cinema - Non office
    Pairc Ui Chaoimh - Non Office
    Tramore Valley Park - Non Office
    Marina Park - Non Office
    Copley Street - Office
    Albert Quay - Office

Nemario, unless my maths is terrible, that is only 28% of large developments in Cork being office based. In fact, the Event centre development out South Main street could be regarded as the largest ever recreational development in Cork City's history.

I really have no idea where you're coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Lambofdave wrote: »
    Was the name Agricola?

Some crowd named watfore apparently.

Just continuing the recreation point that was made earlier - is there any update on the park at the dump near the Kinsale Rd. roundabout?

Searched the forum & didn't see anything

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

There was something about it in the examiner during the week, the box track is nearly finished and will be open as part of some festival soon. Here's the article, http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/on-yer-bike-for-a-fun-day-at-cork-citys-newest-public-park-321717.html

corkonion wrote: »
    Most of the recent major developments are not "office blocks" Construction has just started on redeveloping Pairc Ui Choimh, The Beamish event center looks likely to go ahead and the old Capitol will be mixed use with an empasis on being a food hub. All developments create employment, both temporary and permanent, I for one welcome any development that creates jobs and helps regenerate our city.
    Big Developments in Cork
    Event centre - Non office
    Old Capitol Cinema - Non office
    Pairc Ui Chaoimh - Non Office
    Tramore Valley Park - Non Office
    Marina Park - Non Office

Copley Street - Office
    Albert Quay - Office

Nemario, unless my maths is terrible, that is only 28% of large developments in Cork being office based. In fact, the Event centre development out South Main street could be regarded as the largest ever recreational development in Cork City's history.

I really have no idea where you're coming from.

The thread title doesn't mention these.

• Advertisement

bang on there D'agger. the current office supply in the city doesn't cater for many companies in the times we live in, a lot of these companies employ 100+ more how many of the buildings on south mail could accommodate this.

Nemanario - it does increase footfall in the evenings, be it browsing around the shops on payday, meeting friends for dinner/coffee( if coffee shops started opening a bit later)

Id say it wont be long till there is a placement for the boardwalk. With the albert quay site finished and almost has full occupancy already.. a nice target market for lunch/ after work dinners

Hopefully you're right but your post is subjective rather than facts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Of course it doesn't mention them. The thread is about the Brooks Haughton site. Why would it mention them? :confused:

If you didn't know about any of the current developments then why would you say things like these?
    Another office block :rolleyes:
    it just seems all recent/potential developments have been office blocks.

As Nim has said, your post makes no sense at all given what you have posted to date in this thread.

As Nim has said, your post makes no sense at all given what you have posted to date in this thread.

You mentioned developments which aren't per thread title suggests.

i.e. office block. Not Pairc ui chaiomh etc..

Nim wrote: »
    Of course it doesn't mention them. The thread is about the Brooks Haughton site. Why would it mention them? :confused:

If you didn't know about any of the current developments then why would you say things like these?

See JB'S post on this page where he mentions developments which have nothing to do with the thread title.

You mentioned developments which aren't per thread title suggests.

i.e. office block. Not Pairc ui chaiomh etc..

What are you on about. You claimed that there was nothing but office blocks being built in cork. How can I possibly counter your incorrect assumption without mentioning other developments ????

Bizarre.

What are you on about. You claimed that there was nothing but office blocks being built in cork. How can I possibly counter your incorrect assumption without mentioning other developments ????

Bizarre.

I am not referring to developments in Cork in general. I am talking about the proposed development as the thread suggests.

Fair enough your post is correct that a lot of the developments aren't related to office blocks, but it isn't related to the title of this thread.

I am not referring to developments in Cork in general.

Please clarify what you meant in the first post so if you wouldn't mind

I've read over on People's Republic of Cork that there are plans already for the area around R&H Hall ? Can't find anything on the internet on it.

With the new office development in planning for Albert Quay (the other proposed site for the Events Centre) the docks will really take off.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/plan-for-4000-houses-in-cork-satellite-town-ballincollig-321709.html

Loads of new houses. Not sure where they could put a new road between Ballincollig and the City ? Any ideas ?

Advertisement