Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Enigma 2 boxes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭RonnieL

yabadabado wrote: »
    You won't go wrong with the Technomate deal on WoS.Works out around €190 and then just add a HDD.

Thanks for the reply. A couple of questions:

• Is this the one you're talking about?
    • I'm not too up on satellite tech, especially with regard to tuners etc. Does it do saorview? I know the one I have (enigma 2) is a triple tuner, so it does two sat and one saorview. Is there a technomate equivalent?
    • I got my image for my alien from another thread on here (zardoz hyperion 4.5 I think), and I find that thread very useful. Would the same images work on the technomate?
    Really appreciate the help :-)

Ronan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Sorry can't add a link but it's the Nano 2 that is a twin tuner.You can add a saorview tuner to it or there is also the Nano 3T that is a triple tuner.

Very easy to put images on that box and it is well supported .WoS will load it with an image if you buy from them,they give you a choice of 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/combo-digital-cable-terrestrial-satellite-receivers/Technomate-Combo-Linux-HD-Receivers

that what you meant?

click on the advanced link to see more and the railway tracks crossing=code:D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

RonnieL wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. A couple of questions:

• Is this the one you're talking about?
    • I'm not too up on satellite tech, especially with regard to tuners etc. Does it do saorview? I know the one I have (enigma 2) is a triple tuner, so it does two sat and one saorview. Is there a technomate equivalent?
    • I got my image for my alien from another thread on here (zardoz hyperion 4.5 I think), and I find that thread very useful. Would the same images work on the technomate?
    Really appreciate the help :-)

Ronan

If you just need 1 satellite and 1 terrestrial I don't think you can really go wrong with the Edision OS Mini with 1 DVBS and 1 DVBT/C from freetv or world of satellite.

If you need two sat and one terrestrial though there are a few options, the best value at the minute are:

Gigablue HD Quad Plus 750MHz Dual Core processor, 256MBflash and 512MB RAM. Up to Quad tuner- LCD Front Display.GB Internet.
    £188 WOS

Technomate TM Nano 3T 1.3gHz Dual Core processor, 256MBflash and 1GB RAM.GB Internet
    £185 WOS

You may source better in Germany with Euros though.

Technomate is better spec and better price. Would go for that unless you want a nice little front LCD display on the box and the option of adding a fourth tuner if you need.

The image you have won't work. You will have to download one specific to whatever receiver you are getting. It will be available from any of the supported images sites - not too much to do once you get used to it - better to get used to it yourself long term , if you have any problems you'll be able to post here or on one of the support forums for any help or questions you may have

You posted this, you mention, you say this you say that, you didn't get this.

Is this a personal attack? Get a life pal

:rolleyes: It's not my fault if you were confused and said EOL didn't matter because you misunderstood a post in a thread for people looking for answers. Get over it and move on instead of deflecting. Life?You're the one following back commenting into the thread for nothing to do with the topic.

Like I said, maybe time for posts to stop clogging here and leave it just for ones in relation to enigma2 boxes and people looking for help or answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Any idea where to buy the Technomate 3t in Germany for a few euro less then the WOS price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

reni10 wrote: »
    Any idea where to buy the Technomate 3t in Germany for a few euro less then the WOS price?

I dont think its sold in Germany.
    The Technomate Nano 3T is the same receiver as the Edision OS3 but Technomate support the UK market.
    Edision is a German manufacturer.

10% off at freetv.ie with code: FREETV .

They have Nano 3T and Edision boxs.

Edision OS Mini Twin only around €120 now on freetv.
    Around €100 for the single version.

dav32cs wrote: »
    Edision OS Mini Twin only around €120 now on freetv.
    Around €100 for the single version.

good box for the money.I set one up for a friend a few months back and they have had no complaints.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is this any use ? Only 64MB of RAM so bare bones.
    Decoders are used, renovated with 12 months warranty.
    ADB 5800SX with hard drive 250GB, just over €50 delivered
    http://satsklep.pl/en_US/p/NC-Telewizja-na-Karte-with-receiver-ADB-5800SX-with-hard-drive-250GB/1476

But it has a Twin tuner :)

Anyone know if it comes with enigma installed as some of the links suggest soldering to get new firmware on.

I don't need bells and whistles , copying recording / streaming and remote management should do

Should it support nagravision ?

• Advertisement

i myself would be looking on wos for boxes as all specs are on the website,remember a box is only as good as the support/backup

i wonder if that was supporting an official package on canal+

Is this any use ? Only 64MB of RAM so bare bones.
    Decoders are used, renovated with 12 months warranty.
    ADB 5800SX with hard drive 250GB, just over €50 delivered
    http://satsklep.pl/en_US/p/NC-Telewizja-na-Karte-with-receiver-ADB-5800SX-with-hard-drive-250GB/1476

But it has a Twin tuner :)

Anyone know if it comes with enigma installed as some of the links suggest soldering to get new firmware on.

I don't need bells and whistles , copying recording / streaming and remote management should do

Should it support nagravision ?

The ABD 5800SX needs to be hardware modified to run Enigma 2 .
    Its not an easy job ,lots of soldering involved.
    I dont think the one on Satsklep is modified .

The receiver has an SH4 chipset similar to that of the Alien 1 .
    As it only has 64MB of Ram and Flash I believe you may have to load images from a usb drive instead of Flash memory.

If you want to run Enigma 2 there are better options on this thread ,for a simple twin tuner though with pvr it could be decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Indeed Zardoz. It involves jumper cables to load U Boot so that you can flash to the NAND. Not all of these boxes can be flashed straight off either as there have been varying production lines of them that varied the components. You would need the serial of the box to ascertain whether you also need to swap out the CPU. For €50 its not worth it. They are an old box, with very poor flash memory.

You will get one on ebay that has already been modded for not much more.

I
    If you need two sat and one terrestrial though there are a few options, the best value at the minute are:

Gigablue HD Quad Plus 750MHz Dual Core processor, 256MBflash and 512MB RAM. Up to Quad tuner- LCD Front Display.GB Internet.
    £188 WOS

Technomate TM Nano 3T 1.3gHz Dual Core processor, 256MBflash and 1GB RAM.GB Internet
    £185 WOS

You may source better in Germany with Euros though.

Technomate is better spec and better price.

The spec of the Gigablue HD Quad Plus is wrong. Its a 1.3 Dual Core with DDR3 1024MB and a NAND 512MB.

The spec of the Quad+ is higher than the Technomate TM Nano 3T. The quad+ is also allows up to the 4 tuner modules.

The new Gigablue Quad 4K box will be out next month and will be a fraction of the Vu+ 4k box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Is anyone still buying the Vuplus DUO2? It seems to have come down a lot in price and my old Gigablue HD Quad is beginning to act up. I don't have a 4K TV and won't for a long time until my Panasonic Plasma needs to be replaced, so the Solo 4K would be a waste, I think.

STB. wrote: »
    The spec of the Gigablue HD Quad Plus is wrong. Its a 1.3 Dual Core with DDR3 1024MB and a NAND 512MB.

The spec of the Quad+ is higher than the Technomate TM Nano 3T. The quad+ is also allows up to the 4 tuner modules.

The new Gigablue Quad 4K box will be out next month and will be a fraction of the Vu+ 4k box.

Yep you're right, think took down from two pages and took the first bit from the HD Ultra UE and second from Quad +

Panrich wrote: »
    Is anyone still buying the Vuplus DUO2? It seems to have come down a lot in price and my old Gigablue HD Quad is beginning to act up. I don't have a 4K TV and won't for a long time until my Panasonic Plasma needs to be replaced, so the Solo 4K would be a waste, I think.

Unless you get it at a really good price you should just go for the Solo2 if you are only looking for the Vu+ branded boxes.

Unless you get it at a really good price you should just go for the Solo2 if you are only looking for the Vu+ branded boxes.

Thank you, there is only €60 in the difference, and it would allow me to use a 3.5in HDD so I think I'll go for the DUO2.

They will come down a lot in the next 2 months, so wait! The reason being that the manufacturers or badge manufacturers will be releasing their new products and dumping the old.

Vu+ products are notoriously overpriced. There are a handful of major OEMs mainly based in Korea and Morocco. There are a plethora of Chinese companies copying designs in Shenzhen.

By September you will see 4K boxes from Gigablue, Kathrein, Vantage, Xtrend and Vestel.

What is wrong with your gigablue quad ?

They will come down a lot in the next 2 months, so wait! The reason being that the manufacturers or badge manufacturers will be releasing their new products and dumping the old.

Vu+ products are notoriously overpriced. There are a handful of major OEMs mainly based in Korea and Morocco. There are a plethora of Chinese companies copying designs in Shenzhen.

By September you will see 4K boxes from Gigablue, Kathrein, Vantage, Xtrend and Vestel.

What is wrong with your gigablue quad ?

I've had issues from day 1 with the tuners. I initially replaced my LNB but the problems always come back sporadically. The B tuner won't connect this morning and I can usually fix it for a while by configuring from scratch again but I just want to get rid at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thank you, there is only €60 in the difference, and it would allow me to use a 3.5in HDD so I think I'll go for the DUO2.

I still think the Duo2 is a good Bet, still images being developed, I stuck a 3.5 inch drive in only issue I had was the poor remote which I replaced with a standard Vu remote. Also I like I can run Kodi 16.1 on it and it runs rock steady! Just because it's getting old doesn't mean it's a bad receiver! If you can get it at a good price id say go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lads looking to pick up a cheap enough Enigma 2 box for my Dad single DVB-S tuner and a DVB-T tuner but not importan! Good image support important, front led display needed! He has a Original Dreambox 800HD but that is starting to cut out and is pretty laggy so decent processor and memory would be good! Reliability important as I don't live close! Thanks

I've had issues from day 1 with the tuners. I initially replaced my LNB but the problems always come back sporadically. The B tuner won't connect this morning and I can usually fix it for a while by configuring from scratch again but I just want to get rid at this stage.

have you rechecked your f connectors on your feeds,i had an issue after flashing a solo2 as i must have knocked the cable

greasepalm wrote: »
    have you rechecked your f connectors on your feeds,i had an issue after flashing a solo2 as i must have knocked the cable

Have replaced the connectors and cables when I changed the LNB, so that's not the problem. I used to install satellite dishes for a living back in the day so I'd be confident that is not a problem. As I say, when I reconfigure, it picks everything up again for a while, but just loses one (or both) of the feeds sporadically out of nowhere. The only common denominator is the gigablue from before the swap out.

Have replaced the connectors and cables when I changed the LNB, so that's not the problem. I used to install satellite dishes for a living back in the day so I'd be confident that is not a problem. As I say, when I reconfigure, it picks everything up again for a while, but just loses one (or both) of the feeds sporadically out of nowhere. The only common denominator is the gigablue from before the swap out.

Which Gigablue Quad, the first one or the plus
    This a straight A/B setup without diseqc ?

Is Tuner B = Tuner A.

Which Gigablue Quad, the first one or the plus
    This a straight A/B setup without diseqc ?

Is Tuner B = Tuner A.

Original and straightforward A/B setup for FTA Sky

No. Both set to Single. I've tried everything at this stage and to be honest it has been there for a few years now so I don't mind getting a replacement.

Original and straightforward A/B setup for FTA Sky

No. Both set to Single. I've tried everything at this stage and to be honest it has been there for a few years now so I don't mind getting a replacement.

I am guessing the image on this box is OpenVix, an old version ?

If so, you should change the settings in a simple and the config for Tuner B to "equal to Tuner A".

When was the last time you flashed an image to this box. There was problems with the software on these at the start! It is the original Quad not the Quad plus right ? Many of the latest images now have the right drivers kernels etc that solved a lot of these software issues

Even the original gigablue quad is miles better than many of the current boxes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭stanley1

Are those tuners hard wired or plug in type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Lads is €350 about the best price for a Vu Duo 2?
    It's £289 on WOS and €359 on adverts.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

are you checking stock as it looks as if they are scarce at the mo an check the spec. Also it is rumoured a few more 4k boxes are due from VU+ so duo2 may go even lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

Yes it seems Xtrend have reduced the price of their range considerably.

The ET8500 and ET10000 are now 199 euro for the twin tuner versions from HMSat ,or 229 for the Triple tuner versions.
    That's a reduction of over 100 euro.
    Definitely the best value for a high end receiver at the moment.

https://www.hm-sat-shop.de/hdtv-receiver-sat/xtrend/2431/xtrend-et-8500-hd-2x-dvb-s2-tuner-linux-full-hd-hbbtv-receiver-pvr-ready?c=52
    https://www.hm-sat-shop.de/hdtv-receiver-sat/xtrend/2089/xtrend-et-10000-hd-2x-dvb-s2-tuner-white-pvr-ready-linux-full-hd-hbbtv-receiver?c=52

At 229 for the Triple tuner ET10000 ,I'm tempted to get it as its a superb receiver ,similar spec to the Duo 2 ,and the picture quality is better than most other Mips receivers.

Zardoz wrote: »

The ET8500 and ET10000 are now 199 euro for the twin tuner versions from HMSat ,or 229 for the Triple tuner versions.

https://www.hm-sat-shop.de/hdtv-receiver-sat/xtrend/2431/xtrend-et-8500-hd-2x-dvb-s2-tuner-linux-full-hd-hbbtv-receiver-pvr-ready?c=52
    https://www.hm-sat-shop.de/hdtv-receiver-sat/xtrend/2089/xtrend-et-10000-hd-2x-dvb-s2-tuner-white-pvr-ready-linux-full-hd-hbbtv-receiver?c=52

At 229 for the Triple tuner ET10000 ,I'm tempted to get it as its a superb receiver ,similar spec to the Duo 2 ,and the picture quality is better than most other Mips receivers.

Would be waiting to the end of july alot of new products will be ready by then on sat universe i seen a member post 5 more new boxes in the last 2 days you might get more for your money but some of them xtrend deals are great value for your money well worth a look .

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That's great value for the ET10000! I have one and find it a superb receiver, big change with regards responsiveness, etc. over my aged Vu+Duo!

• Advertisement

Had an 800 SE, always regretted seling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Hmm - I was originally considering an Edition OS mini for a spare room, but am very tempted to go for the xtrend 8500 or 10000 and shift my vu+duo to the spare room.

Is the main difference between the 8500 and 10000 the form factor, screen and the disk drive 3.5" option, or does the 10000 have better hardware?

How is the longevity of the Xtrend receivers? My vu+duo has been excellent for many years and I have no plan for 4k.
    I'd hate to be taking a step back...

Thanks
    Fm

the old vu duo is an old slow box now with imminent red light issue,went for the et10000 quad tuner.

Thanks greasepalm

Had the red light problem intermittently, but did the capacitor replacement and has been great since.

I'm not running kodi etc., primarily just 3.x of Openvix which hasn't seemed slow.

How do you find the et10000 compared to the vu duo, or did you have a vu duo?

Thanks,
    -fm
    greasepalm wrote: »
    the old vu duo is an old slow box now with imminent red light issue,went for the et10000 quad tuner.

fmul9798 wrote: »

Is the main difference between the 8500 and 10000 the form factor, screen and the disk drive 3.5" option, or does the 10000 have better hardware?

Both receivers use the same 1.3Ghz Broadcom chipset so should have similar performance.
    The 10000 has twice the amount of Ram ,2GB vs 1GB.
    The 10000 also has twice the flash memory size,1GB vs 512MB ,although 512MB is probably more than enough for most users.
    How is the longevity of the Xtrend receivers? My vu+duo has been excellent for many years and I have no plan for 4k.
    I'd hate to be taking a step back...

The Xtrend are very well built receivers ,the only reservation I would have is that they seem to have a backup battery installed that powers clone-protection (hardware) for the Xtrend receiver.
    If this becomes defective, the box is defective too.
    It must then be (out of warranty) returned at your own cost.
    In the Xtrend forum an ideal life of 10 years is mentioned.

The Vu+ Duo is an old receiver now ,the Xtrends are a huge upgrade.
    Faster chipset,way more memory ,way more flash space for installing plugins ,no need for a swap file.
    The picture quality should be slightly better too .

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for the info Zardoz. Think I may be getting an ET8500!

still got the duo not connected to sat but still got loads of recordings to view and tsmedia kind of working.

Ferguson Ariva 4k UHD would be looking at this box also .

http://www.sat-universe.com/showthread.php?p=2036685389#post2036685389

Hope link is allowed .

Thanks to maumixio posting info .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

Just a quick question, is it possible to get an xtreme et8000 to do software transcoding using a plugin?

I have a vu duo2 and it works perfectly but I think this is hardware transcoding. I think the vu solo2 does it through software so I was wondering if it's also possible on the et8000

Ferguson Ariva 4k UHD would be looking at this box also .

http://www.sat-universe.com/showthread.php?p=2036685389#post2036685389

Hope link is allowed .

Thanks to maumixio posting info .

Its not an E2 box.

Apologize any confusion with this ferguson box it runS andriod not engima2 sorry for any misunderstanding .

Also mods can yous make sure my profile is closed down as i done this in settings i only planed to stay for a while but i feel i over stayed my welcome .

Thanks to mods and members as i feel and boards its like Driven with the handbrake on not mods fault forum rules as they been more then far and alot of us are puttin them in awkward situations sorry about this Mods nothing but respect for the work yous do on here as as always .

Kind Regards

Peace & good health to all .

why are you leaving @bored stupid? cant be that bad a place can it,all the best if you leave.

Don't be too hard on yourself, it's just a hobby for most of us and speaking for myself i have been guilty of misinformation on more than one occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

zardoz, thinking about one of these, is it possible to have kodi run on these?
    to play media mainly, (not kodi direct) jarvis 16 is available on vu images freely but cant seem to locate anything on the ET

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Imstuck wrote: »
    zardoz, thinking about one of these, is it possible to have kodi run on these?
    to play media mainly, (not kodi direct) jarvis 16 is available on vu images freely but cant seem to locate anything on the ET

No kodi only working on a few of the Vu+
    Think there's a kodi enigma2 plugin that can b used on the xtrend but not full kodi

• Advertisement
Advertisement