Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Enigma 2 boxes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Pretty good deal here on the Mutant HD1500 HD twin tuner
    http://www.sat-shop.co.uk/store/mutant-1/mutant-hd1500-h265-hevc-dvbs2-twin-tuner-enigma2
    or
    http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Mutant/mutant-hd1500

£79.99 plus delivery

Its almost the identical specification to the Edision Mini but doesnt have the built in wifi .
    Same chip though , the BCM73625 ,same amount of flash and Ram too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Hey thanks so if I get a raspberry pi my daughter cud watch all my channels in her room without the actual box itself?.i have 3 boxes so I think this cud be a great idea.would it work??

Yes absolutly it would work perfectly. Better using a wired internet connection (Network Plugs) for reliability but Wifi can work also inthe right enviorment.

I use mine wirelessly and it works fine.

reni10 wrote: »
    Probably easier to just grab an Amazon Fire TV Stick and put Dreamplayer on it:
    https://www.amazon.com/dream-Player-for-Fire-TV/dp/B0193XIPSS

Easier but more fun with a Raspberry Pi

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

Hi Zardoz, what woul the engine be like in the mutant/ edision boxes? Would they have the capability to run the likes of Iptv without slowing the box down? Or slowing the Iptv down for that matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Imstuck wrote: »
    Hi Zardoz, what woul the engine be like in the mutant/ edision boxes? Would they have the capability to run the likes of Iptv without slowing the box down? Or slowing the Iptv down for that matter?

750MHZ processor. Lowish NAND.

If you want to go down the IPTV route get something with at least 1300MHZ processor.

STB. wrote: »
    Licences for mpeg2 well I've heard it all now. MPEG2 is only used on the SD UK FTA stations. You should be more concerned about MPEG4 H264 which is used for HD Channels and both SD and HD Saorview. Can you not find a free version of VLC that has all the codecs built in (MMAL and OpenMax Libraries). Also Vu+ Player HD is free on Playstore but will work with any e2 box.

We were discussing a raspberry pi and streaming to it not decoding tv stations directly. It runs Linux not android so android apps don't run on it and the codecs need to be paid for simple as that.

I need one of the licences to watch a tv series I have downloaded also (older series with limited download options) as it won't play currently so a few euro for buying them isn't a big deal.

We were discussing a raspberry pi and streaming to it not decoding tv stations directly. It runs Linux not android so android apps don't run on it and the codecs need to be paid for simple as that.

I need one of the licences to watch a tv series I have downloaded also (older series with limited download options) as it won't play currently so a few euro for buying them isn't a big deal.

What do you think I was talking about ?

I know what you are running it on.

If you have a proper compiled version of VLC and are running WEBIF to stream from the box, why should you need licences. VLC has MPEG-2, MPEG-4/H.264 SD and HD L3 and 4 codecs built in.

What do you think I was talking about ?

I know what you are running it on.

If you have a proper compiled version of VLC and are running WEBIF to stream from the box, why should you need licences. VLC has MPEG-2, MPEG-4/H.264 SD and HD L3 and 4 codecs built in.

I did a lot of digging before when I couldn't plant the files on the tv series I mentioned and the only solution I came across for playing them in kodi on the pi was to buy the license never saw a mention of vlc player on the pi.

I did a lot of digging before when I couldn't plant the files on the tv series I mentioned and the only solution I came across for playing them in kodi on the pi was to buy the license never saw a mention of vlc player on the pi.

http://intensecode.blogspot.ie/2013/10/tutorial-vlc-with-hardware-acceleration.html Happy reading.:)

The reference to VU+HD player earlier for Android devices was as an alternative for those who didnt want to use the Dream app which was discussed a few posts before yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

whats the best dual tuner box with e2 support and a rf out?

I have my ET10000 more or less up and running fully now.

I'm running the sky skin and using the autobouqet maker for sky ROI. I've added in the saorview channels to this bouquet no problem and added in all the itv HD and BBC HD channels also but I noticed yesterday that certain channels are refusing to stay in the position I move them to. Example is I have bbc1, bbc2, itv, ch4 etc in that order (in the middle of the list, RTE is at the start). But for some reason bbc2 won't stay where I put it an it moves up the list into a random position? I'm doing all the moving manually with the remote, any ideas why certain channels wont stay where I put them but most others will?

Also as I have manually changed the generated bouquets is there a possibility of them being overwritten with updates etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭stanley1

your problem might lie with sky skin, try pli hd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i would say if running abm any changes you made will be reversed in the bouquets.

does one have to add your setup to another bouquet section maybe on page 2 of bouquets so your listings of channels are not altered by the daily abm scan?

stanley1 wrote: »
    your problem might lie with sky skin, try pli hd.

I'd prefer to use the sky skin, I prefer the look and the other users are used to sky so like that it's the same.
    greasepalm wrote: »
    i would say if running abm any changes you made will be reversed in the bouquets.

does one have to add your setup to another bouquet section maybe on page 2 of bouquets so your listings of channels are not altered by the daily abm scan?

I don't have abm scanning turned on, I did a scan on set up about a week ago and still using it. I'd imagine setting this to on will over write my changes? I do have epg updating daily. I want to make it as simple and close to sky as possible for other users in the house in particular adding in the few saorview channels with the sat channels and the itv's etc (as they don't appear on the Irish list) looked like the easiest way to do it.

Sorry guys but I've two more quick questions.

I was recoding something there this evening and it stopped recording and gave the error "disk space full". There is about 300Gb on the drive so its not the reason, looking at the file its just over 4Gb so I'm going to assume its because the drive is formatted in fat32 and this is the reason? I used the same drive in a a skyboxf5s and it would break up the files into smaller files if they were big so obviously the Xtrend doesn't do this. If I initialise the drive with the box will it format it into a more suitable format? Ideally I didnt want to do this as I have other stuff stored on the drive too but if it has to be formatted so be it.

The other question is what is this swap file I keep reading about? I see it mentioned but never a reason why its setup. Is it something I actually need or just something that's suggested?

Thanks all.

• Advertisement

Sorry guys but I've two more quick questions.

I was recoding something there this evening and it stopped recording and gave the error "disk space full". There is about 300Gb on the drive so its not the reason, looking at the file its just over 4Gb so I'm going to assume its because the drive is formatted in fat32 and this is the reason? I used the same drive in a a skyboxf5s and it would break up the files into smaller files if they were big so obviously the Xtrend doesn't do this. If I initialise the drive with the box will it format it into a more suitable format? Ideally I didnt want to do this as I have other stuff stored on the drive too but if it has to be formatted so be it.

The other question is what is this swap file I keep reading about? I see it mentioned but never a reason why its setup. Is it something I actually need or just something that's suggested?

Thanks all.

It may have been dismounted. Make sure it's mounted and that the recording settings is pointing to your HDD.

You don't need to use swap on Xtrend like you did on the AA2.

BobbyT28

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    It may have been dismounted. Make sure it's mounted and that the recording settings is pointing to your HDD.

You don't need to use swap on Xtrend like you did on the AA2.

BobbyT28

Thanks, yeah its still mounted. The file size of the program (as far as it's recorded) is exactly 4096mb which is the max fat32 file size which is why I'm suspecting fat32 being problem.

I knew HD were big files but it was only 67 mins of HD didn't realise they were that big.

Thanks, yeah its still mounted. The file size of the program (as far as it's recorded) is exactly 4096mb which is the max fat32 file size which is why I'm suspecting fat32 being problem.

I knew HD were big files but it was only 67 mins of HD didn't realise they were that big.

Format it to EXT4

More teething problems, I'll get there eventually :)

Anyway latest thing I've noticed, anyone have an issue with the et10000 (or other box) not always waking from deep standby for recordings. It normally wakes but I've noticed on two occasions that it hasn't. The timer indicates that the recording has been completed but there is no file.

I knew the minute I came in the door it handnt recorded as the box stays on after recording but it was in deep standby when I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

You will need to format the drive to get around this and also you can enable the timeshift feature.

You could use the df or du command in putty to see where your space is used or free to confirm.

You could check in the recording settings and possibly you could change the path to see if it would be able to use the free space you have but a format would fix everything(but lose your previous data)

On your ABM issue, if you are not going to just go with the standard scans by the usual listings you are better to go into the ABM text file within the setup, edit the channels in the order you want, and send the file back to the box. A lot of cutting and pasting to get the channels in your preferred order but once its done every time the ABM scan happens it will sort them in to your order.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98201695

You could also use DreamboxEdit to do this which is handier to move but you have to do manual scans or frequency changes when this happens to channels.

I'd presume your box not waking to record is linked to the hard drive issue also and once your format it will do it,especially on a box with the spec of 10000. Possible that it thinks the recording file is full again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

irishgeo wrote: »
    whats the best dual tuner box with e2 support and a rf out?

Best value for spec is Edision OS Mini and buy an RF modulator such as Triax Tri Link(€55-70),Revez(€40ish) or Edision HDMI(around £180 though). Same processor as Vu Zero and official Vix support with wifi and bluetooth built in.

There's a few other models you could look at especially if you want internal drive or higher spec but Edision is my pick for your average use

dav32cs wrote: »
    You will need to format the drive to get around this and also you can enable the timeshift feature.

You could use the df or du command in putty to see where your space is used or free to confirm.

You could check in the recording settings and possibly you could change the path to see if it would be able to use the free space you have but a format would fix everything(but lose your previous data)

On your ABM issue, if you are not going to just go with the standard scans by the usual listings you are better to go into the ABM text file within the setup, edit the channels in the order you want, and send the file back to the box. A lot of cutting and pasting to get the channels in your preferred order but once its done every time the ABM scan happens it will sort them in to your order.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98201695

You could also use DreamboxEdit to do this which is handier to move but you have to do manual scans or frequency changes when this happens to channels.

I'd presume your box not waking to record is linked to the hard drive issue also and once your format it will do it,especially on a box with the spec of 10000. Possible that it thinks the recording file is full again?

Thanks for the tips, I definitely plan on formatting the drive once I have time. I will copy over all the data and hopefully I can just transfer it back after formatting it as I have folders etc already made and recordings for the last few weeks.

I have the timeshift enabled already but I have it set to record to the usb stick I have also connected to the box. I also have the EPG saving to this stick as both of the above will have the HDD constantly active which is better to avoid for the life time of the drive.

I'm not so sure if the not waking up is anything to do with the drive, the programs I was trying to record were just some short cartoons which I was recording to have for when babysitting a toddler cousin. Out of the last two weeks it woke and recorded about 10 times and didn't 2 times randomly. Same cartoon, same time, same file size etc.

The only difference that I can think of is that on one occasion anyway the box was not in deep sleep when I went to bed but I have a power timer set to power on the box in the middle of the night for a EPG update and then put it back to deep sleep. I wonder when its told to wake but its not actually asleep does it put it into a sort of limbo? Like last night again I noticed glitch, I had an auto timer set to put the box to deep sleep after recording but it didn't just completely ignored that and the box stayed on as if it was never set the night before it worked but I had edited the actual timer for that event the night before rather than the autotimer settings.

I'll probably just start leaving the box in standby rather than deep standby when there are things I really want to make sure to record I don't really think there is much need to use deep standby but if it was working perfectly and always doing what its told I would probably continue to use it.

all my boxes are in standby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

all my boxes are in standby.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Kevcol

Hey guys,

Is there anybody in Cork that could help me set up one of these boxes. Moving into a new place so must get a satellite too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Quick question about moving from Openvix to OpenATV Whooshbuild on a Zgemma H2S.

Will my USB stick used for time shift and EPG and my USB drive with recordings still work or will I need to reformat them in order to get them working on OpenATV? Be nice if I could just mount and set recording locations and continue on.

Bit of a weird one.

I have an Xtrend ET8000. Twin tunner

Anytime a recording starts on RTE all my channels become greyed out like both tuners are being used.

It just happened for home and away (the missus) but never happens on any other channel. Like BBC HD or CH4

All my timers are.auti timers.

Any ideas??

Bit of a weird one.

Anytime a recording starts on RTE all my channels become greyed out like both tuners are being used.

It just happened for home and away (the missus) but never happens on any other channel. Like BBC HD or CH4

Any ideas??

That's weird. I switch the sat feeds around as I noticed on Tuner signal finder that Tuner B was unavailable so I switched them around and hey presto Tuner B came back.

Not sure why that is.

Also when I was changing them around I was getting little shocks from the cable and also when I was leaning on the box which is metal.

Anyone ever have this issue??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭imnorobot

Bit of a weird one.

Any ideas??
    And you have a twin dvb t/ t2 tuner card ?
    I ask as a quick google shows some single dvb t / t2 modules

I have a duo2 with a dvbt t/ t2 card but its a single and as such when recording a sourview channel the the other terrestial channels show as greyed out as the single tuner is in use recording
    My workaround is that the tv is a sourview compatible tv
    So by splitting the cable between the pvr and the tv i can watch a sourview channel while recording another

imnorobot wrote: »
    And you have a twin dvb t/ t2 tuner card ?
    I ask as a quick google shows some single dvb t / t2 modules

I have a duo2 with a dvbt t/ t2 card but its a single and as such when recording a sourview channel the the other terrestial channels show as greyed out as the single tuner is in use recording
    My workaround is that the tv is a sourview compatible tv
    So by splitting the cable between the pvr and the tv i can watch a sourview channel while recording another

You should still see the channels that are on the same mux and the satellite tuners.

The only reason you would need 2 dvb-t tuners is if you wished to watch another mux whilst recording off another. There are only 2 muxes.

• Advertisement

You should still see the channels that are on the same mux and the satellite tuners.

The only reason you would need 2 dvb-t tuners is if you wished to watch another mux whilst recording off another. There are only 2 muxes.

Sorry I didn't mention that they are DVB/S2 Tuners.

All sorted now after switching cable's around. anyone know why that would have happened?

One Tuner was not available because it was recording and the other just had no signal coming in. Then when I changed them around I was able to get a signal on the tuner that was showing no signal to start with!! Weird.

Also,

Anyone ever experienced the electric shocks I was getting?

BobbyT28

box possibly got a knock and second tuner lost its feed,hopefully you powered off box and tv before messing with live cables,common enough issue.

box possibly got a knock and second tuner lost its feed,hopefully you powered off box and tv before messing with live cables,common enough issue.

Is shutting down the box before working on sat connections actually a thing? I regularly switch around, change cables from one box to another etc and have never powered off the box. Wouldn't even have it in standby, watching the tv to see when the signal is working etc.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

Is shutting down the box before working on sat connections actually a thing? I regularly switch around, change cables from one box to another etc and have never powered off the box. Wouldn't even have it in standby, watching the tv to see when the signal is working etc.

I've often got a small shock from the tuners so I started powering boxes down before messing with the cables.

I've often got a small shock from the tuners so I started powering boxes down before messing with the cables.

I'll know for future reference. Never got a shock before. Any who it's all fixed now anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Its highly recommended to plug out the box before switching the satellite connectors otherwise you risk blowing the tuners.
    The tuners are sending voltages ,18v and 13v to the lnb so messing with live wires isnt good .

exactly and remember its not just box tv also as electronics are more sensitive with a surge.

Quick question about moving from Openvix to OpenATV Whooshbuild on a Zgemma H2S.

Will my USB stick used for time shift and EPG and my USB drive with recordings still work or will I need to reformat them in order to get them working on OpenATV? Be nice if I could just mount and set recording locations and continue on.

I said I better answer my own question for people in the future.

It worked perfectly. I initialised my USB stick again on OpenATV (used for timeshift and EPG). I then just hooked up and mounted my hard drive again and all recordings were accessible. OpenATV is recording to the hard drive as well after I changed recording location settings.

I said I better answer my own question for people in the future.

It worked perfectly. I initialised my USB stick again on OpenATV (used for timeshift and EPG). I then just hooked up and mounted my hard drive again and all recordings were accessible. OpenATV is recording to the hard drive as well after I changed recording location settings.

On openviix at the moment and looking for a change. Whats the difference between the both images? Im running latest openviix on Xtrend ET8000. Won't change if it's nothing major.

BobbyT28

• Advertisement

On openviix at the moment and looking for a change. Whats the difference between the both images? Im running latest openviix on Xtrend ET8000. Won't change if it's nothing major.

BobbyT28

The biggest change I think is that OpenATV can be updated over the network without need to use a laptop and USB stick etc. where as OpenVix can't on a Zgemma as it's not officially supported.

I have no idea about official support on a Xtrend.

Apart from that it's very hard to point out major differences.

The biggest change I think is that OpenATV can be updated over the network without need to use a laptop and USB stick etc. where as OpenVix can't on a Zgemma as it's not officially supported.

I have no idea about official support on a Xtrend.

Apart from that it's very hard to point out major differences.

Zgemma! The reason that openvix wont update as its not an official vix image. Its a hacked one by the manufacturers!

Zgemma are the ADT boys in Shenzhen who used to clone boxes as ICloud ripping off the VU+ boxes.

From what I have read those zgemmas are lethal with fake fuses with no silica and/or the fuse carrier is not even connected inside the 13A plug so the fuse will never blow - even if you remove the fuse completely, the unit will still be live. Get rid!

As regards the XTREND BOXES, You have official images from.

OpenATV, OpenVix, OpenPli, HDfreaks

Hey guys,

Got a vu solo2 this week. Have plenty of channels on it but as of yet can't get any rte, tv3, tg4 etc. They are showing up on the menu but when I click into them it's just showing a blank screen. Any help appreciated

Kevcol wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Got a vu solo2 this week. Have plenty of channels on it but as of yet can't get any rte, tv3, tg4 etc. They are showing up on the menu but when I click into them it's just showing a blank screen. Any help appreciated

vu solo2.

That's satellite only. RTE TV3 TG4 are encrypted on 28.2E as they are part of the Sky package. They are not free on 28.2E.

You can buy a USB DVB-T stick and connect it to an aerial to get them free.

Ebay. RTL R820T SDR. Get an RF to MCX cable too.

vu solo2.

That's satellite only. RTE TV3 TG4 are encrypted on 28.2E as they are part of the Sky package. They are not free on 28.2E.

You can buy a USB DVB-T stick and connect it to an aerial to get them free.

Ebay. RTL R820T SDR. Get an RF to MCX cable too.

i went the other way and bought a walker pvr so can now set my box to record hd content and leave my sd sat channels on solo2

Great, thanks for that. Was thinking it might have something to do with an aerial alright. Any of ye know the best wat to organise the channels??

• Advertisement

Great, thanks for that. Was thinking it might have something to do with an aerial alright. Any of ye know the best wat to organise the channels??
    Use Dreamboxdit to organize your channels in whatever order you like
    http://dreamboxedit.com/category/download/win-download/

You can use the remote to create a fav channel list and the drop in tyhe channels that you want to it and reorder in the way you want or if you have the box connected to your router, you can use free software like dreambox edit to edit a channel list on a computer and then flash it back to the box over your network.

Sound like a challenge ?

i went the other way and bought a walker pvr so can now set my box to record hd content and leave my sd sat channels on solo2

Why ?

Also
    Dont forget there is an option in the webif page to manage your bouquets

Just use a web browser to browse to the ip address of your box make you changes and save

Why ?

i could have used my vu turbo tuner but might sell it on and prefare my irish content in the main room ,all other e2 boxes are networked.
    i do too much recording and adding a third tuner to solo2 space would quickly fill up with hd content,bad enough with loads of tsmedia stuff recorded also.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement