Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Enigma 2 boxes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Anyone have a solid backup image of the LX2 that they would share??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭greasepalm

why not get an image straight from the source from openvix? then you can do a backup image.?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

Does anyone know if the xtrend et8000 and et 10000 support internal 2.5" sata HDDs? I'm thinking about getting one of these but I don't like the colour of the 8000 so I'm thinking get the 10000 and have 2gb RAM and gigabit Ethernet ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

greasepalm wrote: »
    why not get an image straight from the source from openvix? then you can do a backup image.?

http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/

Does anyone know if the xtrend et8000 and et 10000 support internal 2.5" sata HDDs? I'm thinking about getting one of these but I don't like the colour of the 8000 so I'm thinking get the 10000 and have 2gb RAM and gigabit Ethernet ect.

Yes they support both.

I have this in mine as I had it spare at the time:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST1000DM003-Barracuda-inch-Drive/dp/B006BRBSE8/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1451978545&sr=1-1&keywords=seagate+1tb

The ET8000 pictures on the websites do not do it justice. Much nicer looking in person.

I have th ET8000 running Openvix on it for the last 2 months and it has been running flawlessly. Delighted with the upgrade, I upgraded from Amiko Alien 2.

BobbyT28

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Yes they support both.

I have this in mine as I had it spare at the time:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST1000DM003-Barracuda-inch-Drive/dp/B006BRBSE8/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1451978545&sr=1-1&keywords=seagate+1tb

The ET8000 pictures on the websites do not do it justice. Much nicer looking in person.

I have th ET8000 running Openvix on it for the last 2 months and it has been running flawlessly. Delighted with the upgrade, I upgraded from Amiko Alien 2.

BobbyT28

I'm also upgrading from the AA2! Thanks for the info, I think I'll go for the 8000 if it doesn't look too bad in person. Is the remote control better in comparison to the AA2? I have to point mine straight at the box sometimes.

I'm also upgrading from the AA2! Thanks for the info, I think I'll go for the 8000 if it doesn't look too bad in person. Is the remote control better in comparison to the AA2? I have to point mine straight at the box sometimes.

You wont be disappointed. The remote is light years ahead of the AA2. You will not be disappointed with the ET8000, superb box.

I would recommend this to everyone.

BobbyT28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

is it worth upgrading my duo or stick with it?

irishgeo wrote: »

I have no experience with the duo sorry. Someone else who has used both could help with that.

BobbyT28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What do you want to 'upgrade' for is the question. Is there something that you duo cant do that you require?

If not, then no dont bother.

Im running my Vu Duo 2 years and its been flawless bar the odd restart. It does what it says on the tin.

Of course if you want to run something else IPTV Plex etc then something more powerful would be best path, but for me i have no need for these currently.

• Advertisement

zefer wrote: »
    Thanks. Have an image from there. Which of the softcam's works with this box do you know? Tried a couple and no joy

Thats not allowded to be discussed here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Hi Guys,
    I'm totally new to this whole area but I wonder could someone give me a bit of a steer ?
    I'm looking to replace my Sky TV set up.
    I'm looking for something that my technophobe wife will happily use with ease and minimal fuss for watching TV.
    I'm interested in the watch one programme and record another feature.
    I have a Sky Dish and 100mb broadband.
    I would happily spend an extra few quid if it meant the unit I got was fast, didn't drop out too often and was easy to use for the rest of the family.

Please recommend a box to me !
    I was thinking about getting an Openbox V8S but I do not see them mentioned too much in here ?
    I know someone who is using an Nvidia Shield Android box and he is happy with it but I'm leaning towards the satellite boxes for the FTA TV element.
    Please give me some advice if its not too much trouble.
    thanks,
    Clive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

have a look at enigma2 recievers,
    ie this thread
    dont waste your time with a v8 or f8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

So if money was not a issue guys which one would you recommend the xtrend 1000 or the Mutant HD2400?
    The wife has my heart broken over the alien 2 and as they say it's gotta go.

both of those quad tuners are excellent and maybe mutant slightly ahead.

........................................................................................

would go better than a cheap zgemma better higher end boxes that openvix can run with.

...........................................................................................

old vu duo is old and struggles with newer images and spinning vix,yes upgrade is my advice
    went for xtrend 10000 and 2 x cable + 2 sat tuners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Where would be the best place to get the Mutant HD2400?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think AC-Sat had best price last time I looked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

anyone recommend a cheap single tuner enigma 2 box ?

xspeed lx1 is a great reasonable box and good spec's
    there also the vu zero, its is tiny but bit moe expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Where would be the best place to get the Mutant HD2400?
    yabadabado wrote: »
    I think AC-Sat had best price last time I looked.

Thats where I bought from last week, best price I could find with delivery included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

New kid on the block. Definately one not to be ignored....

http://www.freetv.ie/edision-os-mini-twin-tuner.html

Has OPEN ATV and VIX support.

Edited 26th Jan because of great price at FreeTV. See Zardoz and Irishgeo posts below if you interested in buying this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

givecredit wrote: »
    New kid on the block. Definately one not to be ignored....

http://www.satkontor.de/edision-os-mini-2x-dvb-s2-full-hd-linux-sat-receiver-schwarz.html

Has OPEN ATV and VIX support.

Nice find

It seems to have the same chipset as the Vu+ Zero (Broadcom 7362) but has an extra tuner for pretty much the same price.
    Its like an upgraded Xpeed LX2 ,dual threaded cpu vs single thread and a few extra features like Wifi and bluetooth built in as standard .
    Its a fair bit of kit for 124 euro plus delivery.

Btw Freetv.ie have it for €138.90 delivered

Its a pity that the Mips receivers cant do something about the poor sd picture quality though,its a real bottleneck.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Nice find

It seems to have the same chipset as the Vu+ Zero (Broadcom 7362) but has an extra tuner for pretty much the same price.
    Its like an upgraded Xpeed LX2 ,dual threaded cpu vs single thread and a few extra features like Wifi and bluetooth built in as standard .

Its a pity that the Mips receivers cant do something about the poor sd picture quality though,its a real bottleneck.

boards as a gift code gets you 7.5% off.

Nice find

whats the issue with the mips and SD?

whats the issue with the mips and SD?

The issue is that the sd picture is poor on Mips receivers .

Its basically to do with the Broadcom chipset in the Xtrend and other Mips based receivers .
    Its simply not designed for rendering good graphics .

SH4 cpu receivers like the Alien 2 have an Sh4 cpu which is a different architecture which includes a high class floating point math unit and high speed bus which is the key components used for drawing graphics.
    SD picture quality is noticeably better on a larger set and HD is marginally better too.

Its a pity really ,the Linux Mips receivers have come on leaps and bounds in the last few years and they are really very powerful receivers but their achilles heel is still picture quality ,primarily sd ,its noticeably inferior to most non Linux receivers .

So despite I owning a Technomate Nano 3T and other 1.3ghz based receivers the Alien 1 and 2 are still my main receivers as I cant accept the SD picture on the Mips receivers .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

apologies for the silly question but does the edision mini on free tv have a saorview tuner(confused with the twin tuner aspect). i.e can I watch one satellite channel and record another or can I watch rte and record bbc1?

apologies for the silly question but does the edision mini on free tv have a saorview tuner(confused with the twin tuner aspect). i.e can I watch one satellite channel and record another or can I watch rte and record bbc1?

Freetv have a number of different tuner versions of the Edision Mini

Theres the twin satellite tuner version

They also have the Mini Combo version with a satellite tuner and a saorview tuner
    http://www.freetv.ie/edision-os-mini-combo.html

They also sell an overpriced Triple tuner version which is the twin satellite tuner version bundled with a usb terrestrial tuner.
    Youd probably be better off just to buy the twin tuner version and buy the usb tuner separately as a cheap one from china for 7-8 euro may work with it.

thanks for that. am minded to go for this golden media box instead.... seems more or less the same with the option of the HDD and no need for the usb stick.
    http://www.satworld.ie/golden-media-hypercube-triple-tuner-android.html

• Advertisement

thanks for that. am minded to go for this golden media box instead.... seems more or less the same with the option of the HDD and no need for the usb stick.
    http://www.satworld.ie/golden-media-hypercube-triple-tuner-android.html

Do not buy that receiver unless you are a masochist and like tearing your hair out .

Hardware wise it was great but the software support for it was a disaster.
    You have been warned.

Do not buy that receiver unless you are a masochist and like tearing your hair out .

You have been warned.

+1
    never heard of that receievr and support for software and images is whats important,
    the edison os mini mentioned has good specs and will have decent support backing, very reasonable also for a twin tuner,
    as mentioned its very similar to the lx2

The issue is that the sd picture is poor on Mips receivers .

Its basically to do with the Broadcom chipset in the Xtrend and other Mips based receivers .
    Its simply not designed for rendering good graphics .

SH4 cpu receivers like the Alien 2 have an Sh4 cpu which is a different architecture which includes a high class floating point math unit and high speed bus which is the key components used for drawing graphics.
    SD picture quality is noticeably better on a larger set and HD is marginally better too.

Its a pity really ,the Linux Mips receivers have come on leaps and bounds in the last few years and they are really very powerful receivers but their achilles heel is still picture quality ,primarily sd ,its noticeably inferior to most non Linux receivers .

So despite I owning a Technomate Nano 3T and other 1.3ghz based receivers the Alien 1 and 2 are still my main receivers as I cant accept the SD picture on the Mips receivers .

There was me thinking sky were butchering the SD signal.

There was me thinking sky were butchering the SD signal.

Well that's a factor too .

Sky have indeed reduced the sd channels picture quality over the years.
    Alot of their channels that were broadcast in 704 x 576i resolution are now broadcast in 544 x 576i .

Video bitrates have also dropped and typically now lie in the 2-3Mbps range.
    Compare this with the 6Mbps-8Mbps of commercial DVD.

Its a cost cutting mechanism and also a ruse to get people to upgrade to HD ,for 15 euro extra .

HD has also been downgraded over the years too and no doubt will be downgraded even further once Ultra HD starts its roll out on tv.
    Indeed even BT Sports have reduced the quality of their HD broadcasts already to make Ultra HD look better.

Like for like though the same sd channel displayed on an Sh4 based receiver will have more detail than a Mips based receiver.

You have been warned.

thanks for the warning. I will still well away...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

lertsnim wrote: »
    If one was to choose between an Xtrend ET10000 and a Mut@nt HD2400 what would be the wise bet?
    I'm wondering this too, and have it down to both of these.

Kind of swayed towards the Xtrend, simply because it can accommodate a proper size HDD, unlike the Mutant.

I also notice the Xtrend seems to have 2 Ethernet ports, not sure why that is.

• Advertisement
    byte

lertsnim wrote: »
    If one was to choose between an Xtrend ET10000 and a Mut@nt HD2400 what would be the wise bet?

Kind of swayed towards the Xtrend, simply because it can accommodate a proper size HDD, unlike the Mutant.

byte wrote: »

I couldn't be happier with the Xtrend ET8000. Brilliant sat box. I am coming from a AA" so the SD is not as good but I can get over that very easily. The HD you wouldn't notice the difference IMO.

Highly recommend them, have it over 2 months now and have never had 1 issue and I mean 1 issue. Unlike the AA2 which had me pulling my hair out!!

BobbyT28

byte

Well, I've just ordered the Xtrend ET10000 with 2x S2 and 1x T2 tuners from hm-sat.de

Hopefully will have it by next weekend.

I wonder if it's possible to copy settings over from my Vu+Duo to the new Xtrend? Motor settings, etc. Plugins I'm not worried about.

byte

Well, I've just ordered the Xtrend ET10000 with 2x S2 and 1x T2 tuners from hm-sat.de

I wonder if it's possible to copy settings over from my Vu+Duo to the new Xtrend? Motor settings, etc. Plugins I'm not worried about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

You can jot down the USALS setting or snapshot it.

Like channel lists and favourites ? You can use dreambox edit and get it to read your channel lists etc from the VU. You can the flash the save channel list files on PC/laptop back to your new box using dreambox edit. They are only xml files and bouquets.

• Advertisement

next minor hurdle is the twin lan port:eek::D

byte

greasepalm wrote: »
    next minor hurdle is the twin lan port:eek::D
    I dunno why it has two LAN ports! One is 10/00, the other 10/100/1000.

Do you foresee this being a problem?

byte

STB. wrote: »
    You can jot down the USALS setting or snapshot it.

Like channel lists and favourites ? You can use dreambox edit and get it to read your channel lists etc from the VU. You can the flash the save channel list files on PC/laptop back to your new box using dreambox edit. They are only xml files and bouquets.

Indeed, I can. I do wonder though, do I need to put the motor to 0 before changing STB, or will the new box know what location the motor is currently at?

I'll have Tuner1 on fixed 28.2E, and Tuner2 on the motorised dish, for the few birds it still sees...

I do aim to take the HDD out of my Vu and keep all the recorded stuff to watch on the Xtrend. I expect the Xtrend should address it fine, as I aim to continue using OpenVix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Indeed, I can. I do wonder though, do I need to put the motor to 0 before changing STB, or will the new box know what location the motor is currently at?

I'll have Tuner1 on fixed 28.2E, and Tuner2 on the motorised dish, for the few birds it still sees...

I do aim to take the HDD out of my Vu and keep all the recorded stuff to watch on the Xtrend. I expect the Xtrend should address it fine, as I aim to continue using OpenVix.

In my experience byte there is no need to set the tuner back to zero if all satellites are set to USALS on the dedicated tuner module (1 or 2). You already have it on its arc so say you disconnect the satellite on the Vu+ at 9E, it will stay there. When you reconnect your new box you should set that dedicated motor tuner to USALS all satellites for that tuner module (with the east and West coordinates taken from your Vu+) and then go and pick 9E rather than any other satellite.
    I dunno why it has two LAN ports! One is 10/00, the other 10/100/1000.

Do you foresee this being a problem?

One is a gigabit ethernet vlan. The other is 10/100 lan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

Currently have a AA2+ running Hyperion 4.5.
    I'm happy enough except for the occasional slowness and fairly useless recording and video playback.

I recently setup a Zgemma H.S2 for a friend. Very impressed with the speed and Kiddac's lovely Slyk HD v3 skin.

I'm tempted to replace my AA2+ with the H.S2 and just wondering if others think this is a wise move?
    Open to suggestions for other boxes too.
    2x DVB-S2 is a must. DVB-T2/C tuner is a plus. Must be more responsive than the AA2+ and have an active community of developers working on good e2 images and/or skins. Willing to pay up to €200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

I'm happy enough except for the occasional slowness and fairly useless recording and video playback.

I recently setup a Zgemma H.S2 for a friend. Very impressed with the speed and Kiddac's lovely Slyk HD v3 skin.

I'm tempted to replace my AA2+ with the H.S2 and just wondering if others think this is a wise move?
    2x DVB-S2 is a must. DVB-T2/C tuner is a plus. Must be more responsive than the AA2+ and have an active community of developers working on good e2 images and/or skins. Willing to pay up to €200.

dkane wrote: »

This is currently the best value box around .
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98495312&postcount=323

I'd recommend it over the Zgemma as its an oem product instead of a cheaper Chinese version so you have a better warranty.
    Its basically the same spec,same cpu and amount of memory but the Edision has wifi and bluetooth built in .
    You can add a cheap usb tuner for Saorview too.

one thing with zgemma if they use the patched open vix firmware is not updatable so box is always on older image.

byte

STB. wrote: »
    One is a gigabit ethernet vlan. The other is 10/100 lan.
    Yeah, I know.

Just greasepalm mentioning a "hurdle" with them made me wonder if there'd be an issue with which one the OS will address, for example...

Not sure why anyone would have use for the 10/100 when there's a superior gigiabit port there :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Lads is it best to buy a box with an internal hard drive or are boxes with external hard drives just as good?

What's the difference if any?

• Advertisement
Advertisement